Eqqtimer Quantum super rapid beeping

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitchw8436

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased and assembled a Quantum model altimeter. It has some a behavior which I don't understand and can't find any answers to in the users manual.

The system powers up fine. I'm able to connect to it via wifi with my iPhone without a problem. I'm able to go into test mode and test both the main and drogue channels without a problem. However, when I arm the altimeter, I get the following behavior.
- One short beep
- Three long beeps
- Blue LED on wifi chip comes on continuously
- After about 8 seconds a continuous very rapid beeping which does not stop
- If I close the browser window, open a new window and connect to the altimeter, I'm able to disarm the altimeter and the rapid beeping stops.

This very rapid beeping is not described in the users' manual. Is this normal behavior?

I recently purchased and assembled a Quantum model altimeter. It has some a behavior which I don't understand and can't find any answers to in the users manual.

The system powers up fine. I'm able to connect to it via wifi with my iPhone without a problem. I'm able to go into test mode and test both the main and drogue channels without a problem. However, when I arm the altimeter, I get the following behavior.
- One short beep
- Three long beeps
- If I close the browser window, open a new window and connect to the altimeter, I'm able to disarm the altimeter and the rapid beeping stops.

This very rapid beeping is not described in the users' manual. Is this normal behavior?
Rapid beeping means armed and ready all good. Its pretty much the Eggtimer version of All Systems are Go!

Edit: I have been known to wrong, I fly way more Quarks than any other altimeter, though I have and use several Quantums and Protons.

Last edited:

- One short beep
- Three long beeps

What do you mean by rapid beeping? Once per second? Ten times per second? 100?
What does the status screen show?

If it's a rapid chirp, that is the armed and ready for flight indicator.

A continuous, uninterrupted tone is something different.

You can always check the Quantum's function by connecting drogue and main terminals to Christmas lights, drop it into a sealed container and slowly evacuate the chamber to simulate a flight (I use a large mason jar with surgical tubing through the lid connected to a large syringe). If the drogue then main lights should flash. If they do, you're good to go.

What do you mean by rapid beeping? Once per second? Ten times per second? 100?
What does the status screen show?
The tone is not continuous, but more than 10/sec. The status screen on my iPhone browser show the system as armed. I’m able to unarm it without issues. Attached an audio file of the arm-disarm sequence.

Attachments

• IMG_7350.MOV
    303.5 KB
You armed it, so the fast chirp means everything is good to go. The first time I used mine, I took the rocket off the pad as I thought the same thing that it was not working. Later found it was the normal operation.

Firmware changed awhile ago, so now the quantum and proton armed sounds are the same. I thought the same thing when i armed my new proton, but talked to chris and its the new sound. The rapid beeps almost like its screaming is armed GTG.

The tone is not continuous, but more than 10/sec. The status screen on my iPhone browser show the system as armed. I’m able to unarm it without issues. Attached an audio file of the arm-disarm sequence.
You armed it. The fast chirp is the armed tone for all EggTimer products now. Cris hasn’t updated the user guide.

Yep, Armed and ready to go.
I call this sounds the Crickets and wait near the pad until I hear this after arming.

This change to chirping is in the Quantum Release notes on Cris' eggtimer site.

Yep, Armed and ready to go.
I call this sounds the Crickets and wait near the pad until I hear this after arming.

This change to chirping is in the Quantum Release notes on Cris' eggtimer site.
Thanks to all for the feedback. I thought I'd shorted something in the build.

This is very timely... I discovered this behavior just today on mine! The user guide seemed to suggest that the Quantum would beep once per second when armed. When mine started screeching, I was sufficiency concerned that I contacted Cris and he told me that this is normal... live and learn.

If it's a rapid chirp, that is the armed and ready for flight indicator.

A continuous, uninterrupted tone is something different.

You can always check the Quantum's function by connecting drogue and main terminals to Christmas lights, drop it into a sealed container and slowly evacuate the chamber to simulate a flight (I use a large mason jar with surgical tubing through the lid connected to a large syringe). If the drogue then main lights should flash. If they do, you're good to go.
Hello,

What does it mean if there is a continuous tone?

Hello,

What does it mean if there is a continuous tone?

I recently had a JST power connector go bad on me which resulted in the Quantum's WiFi module getting interrupted power. After a while the Quantum would just emit a continuous tone. The continuous tone may indicate a WiFi issue.

Assuming you just built it, it means that something isn't assembled right. Connect the data cable/dongle per the instructions in the manual for recovering the passkey, and see where the diagnostics stop. 90% of the time it's the memory chip... it's easy to get solder on top of the leads and miss the PC board pads.

Also, the Quantum will not boot if you don't have deployment power... if you didn't build it with the single-battery option, you MUST have deployment power turned on when you first power up your Quantum. If you want to turn off the deployment power after that, it's fine.

Back