Redundant Missleworks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW562

Reaction score
Looking to set up my level 2 (4" Wildman Bad Dog) with redundant altimeters. Curious if the RRC2+ AND RRC2L are an advisable combo and if you recommend the RRC2L as the backup for its extended options in drogue delay/main deployment. Or use it as the primary? Also do I NEED the LCD for programming? Or can I get away with the onboard adjustments since i will not be using any of the advanced features that the RRC2L (and RRC3) are capable of?

It probably doesn't really matter which one you choose as primary in your case. Personally, I would choose the the RRC2L as primary because of the LCD programming. The RRC2+ is perfect as a secondary altimeter.

For the record, I have an RRC3 (Primary) / RRC2L (Secondary) redundant combo with an LCD to program both. You don't NEED the LCD, but it's very handy to have.

I have a few RRC3's, a couple RRC2L's and a RRC2. The LCD is a great tool. It makes programing easy. There are other features too. Like checking continuity, battery voltage, and all the other parameters. I highly recommend the LCD.

It probably doesn't really matter which one you choose as primary in your case. Personally, I would choose the the RRC2L as primary because of the LCD programming. The RRC2+ is perfect as a secondary altimeter.

For the record, I have an RRC3 (Primary) / RRC2L (Secondary) redundant combo with an LCD to program both. You don't NEED the LCD, but it's very handy to have.
The main deployment settings are easy but in regards to the charges at apogee, is a +1 second delay for the back up enough time to comfortably avoid over pressurization? That is the only reason i was leaning toward the RRC2+ for the primary set at "0" delay or AT apogee and the RRC2L programmed with a 2 second delay (or more?)

The main deployment settings are easy but in regards to the charges at apogee, is a +1 second delay for the back up enough time to comfortably avoid over pressurization? That is the only reason i was leaning toward the RRC2+ for the primary set at "0" delay or AT apogee and the RRC2L programmed with a 2 second delay (or more?)
Yes, 1 second is fine. I fly almost exclusively MW flight computers, never had an issue with the +1. Then again, I always match computers to make sure that they're both using the same sensors and same software.

You're "delay" reasoning for using the RRC2 as the primary, and the RRC2L as the backup, is perfectly fine. Go with it.

If you have the chance to run simulations you may get an idea of what the rocket's velocity is like at apogee. Some rockets
will still have a significant velocity even at apogee. Apogee does not mean "zero" velocity. I have a rocket or two where I use
the +1 delay because they arc pretty good near apogee so they have no real increase in altitude - yet still have some velocity.
I'm trying to avoid a zipper.

I like using the RRC2+ as a backup (or as the primary). Simple to use without having to plug anything into it. Visibly look at the dip switches and you are done (even has the settings printed on the board). Flown lots as primary and as backups. for backup I use the +1 second for the drogue, and set the main 200 feet below the primary altimeter. I use the +0 setting.

Mike K

P.S. I have a 3d printed sled designed to hold (1) RRC3 and (1) RRC2 plus batteries and microswitches if you need.
P.P.S. Going to the ROC launch on Dec 10th?

I like using the RRC2+ as a backup (or as the primary). Simple to use without having to plug anything into it. Visibly look at the dip switches and you are done (even has the settings printed on the board). Flown lots as primary and as backups. for backup I use the +1 second for the drogue, and set the main 200 feet below the primary altimeter. I use the +0 setting.

Mike K

P.S. I have a 3d printed sled designed to hold (1) RRC3 and (1) RRC2 plus batteries and microswitches if you need.
P.P.S. Going to the ROC launch on Dec 10th?
Mike,

I will be there bright and early. And as far as the sled I was planning on just ordering the dual 98 from MW when I pull the trigger on the altimeters. I am happy with the single I put in my WM Jr. , but you have my curiosity, DM a few photos of your design?

Mike,

I will be there bright and early. And as far as the sled I was planning on just ordering the dual 98 from MW when I pull the trigger on the altimeters. I am happy with the single I put in my WM Jr. , but you have my curiosity, DM a few photos of your design?

I have few different 98mm designs, this is one of them. The batteries sit in pockets molded in and are held in place by the green cover. This rendering has (2) rrc3 but I print them with both RRC3 and RRC2 hole patters on one side. The Microswitches are turned on using screws This can be used with single all thread or 2 / 3 allthread designs.

1670018963346.png

1670019037973.png

Your ideas/logic are all sound. I have a couple dozen MW altimeters that I fly in redundant configuration. Ive done both 1 and 2 second spacing without any issues.

Back