Miss Riley Rocket Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking about producing a 54mm Miss Riley version with a 29mm MMT, aluminum machined nozzle and dual deploy fiberglass rocket with naturally dyed parts. If I can get 100 people to commit to this I would love to do it, I know the last 100 kits sold in about 16 days! These will of course be cheaper as they’re smaller, and will be limited edition signed.

Last edited:
I am thinking about producing a 54mm Miss Riley version with a 24mm MMT, aluminum machined nozzle and dual deploy fiberglass rocket with naturally dyed parts. If I can get 100 people to commit to this I would love to do it, I know the last 100 kits sold in about 16 days! These will of course be cheaper as they’re smaller, and will be limited edition signed.
Yes, sign me up.

Interested for sure. Any idea on ballpark pricing? Also second the 29mm mmt request as this would open up a lot of motors for those of us who have the AT 29/40-120 case. Oh and if you can include epoxy dye (for rocketpoxy) to match the fins I'd be willing to pay extra for that.

Interested for sure. Any idea on ballpark pricing? Also second the 29mm mmt request as this would open up a lot of motors for those of us who have the AT 29/40-120 case. Oh and if you can include epoxy dye (for rocketpoxy) to match the fins I'd be willing to pay extra for that.
I have one of the 2.6 Miss Riley kits. I was able to get the Rocketpoxy blue dye by contacting Glenmark customer service directly, and they arranged for me to purchase it through Mad Cow. Both companies cooperated extremely well and I had the blue dye in about a week.

@Zman1961 Thanks for the heads up. I assume it wasn't too costly and not too large of a quantity? I doubt I'd use it for anything else which is why I was hoping Buddy could include a small amount with the kits.

It wasn't too much, maybe $15 with postage. Compared to the other costs of HPR, it's not too bad. It is the typical 1 ounce size dye bottle that you get with Rocketpoxy, so yeah, it's probably way more than a person will ever need since you only need 2 or 3 drops to make a batch (20 ml) of epoxy for a couple of high power-sized fillets. But it is the manufacturer's correct material and the color is perfect. And both companies bent over backwards to help, which is great considering this is one small item.

So make contact with Glenmark first, they will contact Mad Cow, and Mad Cow process the order. I think it was drop-shipped from Glenmark in Illinois, but it worked very well. I do not know why none of the Rocketpoxy vendors carry the blue dye, unless they just don't sell much of it.

@Zman1961 Thanks for the heads up. I assume it wasn't too costly and not too large of a quantity? I doubt I'd use it for anything else which is why I was hoping Buddy could include a small amount with the kits.
Good idea I will look into this and finding little bottles, definitely a essential. I’ll start working on getting the nozzles made, it will be while until this all comes together.

I am thinking about producing a 54mm Miss Riley version with a 29mm MMT, aluminum machined nozzle and dual deploy fiberglass rocket with naturally dyed parts. If I can get 100 people to commit to this I would love to do it, I know the last 100 kits sold in about 16 days! These will of course be cheaper as they’re smaller, and will be limited edition signed.
Put me down for one!

I will take one

By the way Pete D., love the avatar! :)
Thanks, Zman1961.
I fell in love with that image the first time I saw it, and I've been using it as a screen-saver since the beginnings of Windows hi-res graphics.
My use of it for Avatars is much more recent; I hadn't been on TRF until last year (2nd BAR), and when I added the Avatar I didn't notice that you were already using it. Can we share it?

As to this particular thread, I've been a fan of Homer Hickam's works since I read "The Rocket Boys" and saw the movie. I loved Buddy's re-creation of Miss Riley. So, ordering the proposed kit in advance was a cinch for me (I missed the first one, but did build the yet-to-fly 1/4 scale version).

I knew from the book that the original Miss Riley employed home-crafted technology that pre-dates our modular motors, but I didn't get a feel for the size of the original until I built the 1/4 scale version.
I've still got an urge to scratch-build a full-scale version (with modern propulsion, of course).

Thanks, Zman1961.
I fell in love with that image the first time I saw it, and I've been using it as a screen-saver since the beginnings of Windows hi-res graphics.
My use of it for Avatars is much more recent; I hadn't been on TRF until last year (2nd BAR), and when I added the Avatar I didn't notice that you were already using it. Can we share it?

As to this particular thread, I've been a fan of Homer Hickam's works since I read "The Rocket Boys" and saw the movie. I loved Buddy's re-creation of Miss Riley. So, ordering the proposed kit in advance was a cinch for me (I missed the first one, but did build the yet-to-fly 1/4 scale version).

I knew from the book that the original Miss Riley employed home-crafted technology that pre-dates our modular motors, but I didn't get a feel for the size of the original until I built the 1/4 scale version.
I've still got an urge to scratch-build a full-scale version (with modern propulsion, of course).
Pete, of course we can share! 👍 This has to be one of the most iconic images of the 20th century, and it certainly doesn't belong to me. I am a fellow BAR, and was a kid when the space program was in it's hay-day. My parents let me stay up (or get up early) and watch all of the live broadcasts of NASA. We had a black and white TV, and this image really struck me when I saw it in color for the first time. I launched my first Estes rocket when I was 9.

I would be interested in one.

Back