Micro maxx question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogdelta

Reaction score
Got a couple of the quest micromax ($5.00 at Toys R us! Worth it for the parts!)
My sons launched a few rockets ant then started getting low battery power beeps and weren't able to launch any more.

Do the quest kits drain the 9V batteries that fast? or is there something I am missing?

Thanx!

Yes, the quest igniters eat batteries like candy. 9V batteries don't have a lot of amps in the first place, and the dead short created by the igniter (even with its higher resistance) drains them quickly. Some people have converted the launcher to use a 12V lantern battery - the instruction are on the Micro-Maxx Yahoo group (https://groups.yahoo.com/group/MicroMaxRockets/)

Greg

Originally posted by maddogdelta
Got a couple of the quest micromax ($5.00 at Toys R us! Worth it for the parts!)
My sons launched a few rockets ant then started getting low battery power beeps and weren't able to launch any more.

Do the quest kits drain the 9V batteries that fast? or is there something I am missing?
Hmm. Haven't had that experience myself. Have you tried cleaning the ignitor contacts? They get pretty grimy after only a few launches. Scraping that goo off might fix the problem.

IIRC, the best batteries to use are the Energizer Max2 batteries. I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

They are expensive, but worth it for MMX.

Maddog:
Yes the quest silo launchers are a 9volt killer, We did a test on 9Volts early this spring. If you are going to continue to use 9volt batteries, we have proven the new eveready energizer silver lable out lasted the duracell by about 3 times. a fresh, duracell got 5 to 7 launches, the New Energizer burned 17 igniters before failure.
If you want a quick and easy way to remedy this problem without rewiring the system. a simple drop line of 24/2gage lamp cord with a couple alligator clips and the top from one of your spent 9 volt batteries will allow the system to be used with any 12volt system without damage... I've used this add on or over a year without any damage to the launcher or contorller.
You will have to disassemble the dead 9 volt battery with 2 pair of needle nosed pliers. I found it easiest to work one corner of the seam loose, than hold the outer alum skin with one pair and twist/roll the skin onto the other. cut the lead strips leaving enought to be soldered to about 5' of 2 conductor 24ga. lamp cord from radio shack. after soldering, wrap the edge of the 9volt head with 1/2" making tape making a pocket. pour epoxy into the pocket and allow to set. strip of the tape. Now add the alligator clips. attach the contoller 9volt cap to your new cord. I filed a small opening in the edge of the battery door cover to pass the lampcord, stow the connected cord and cap in the battery compartment and close the cover.. connect to any 12volt battery you like. Works wonderfully
For a more comperhesive 12 volt conversion you might want to check out the files section of the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group. We have complete conversion instructions, photo layouts and parts lists
Hope this helps

Originally posted by Micromister
Maddog:
Yes the quest silo launchers are a 9volt killer, We did a test on 9Volts early this spring. If you are going to continue to use 9volt batteries, we have proven the new eveready energizer silver lable out lasted the duracell by about 3 times. a fresh, duracell got 5 to 7 launches, the New Energizer burned 17 igniters before failure.
If you want a quick and easy way to remedy this problem without rewiring the system. a simple drop line of 24/2gage lamp cord with a couple alligator clips and the top from one of your spent 9 volt batteries will allow the system to be used with any 12volt system without damage... I've used this add on or over a year without any damage to the launcher or contorller.
You will have to disassemble the dead 9 volt battery with 2 pair of needle nosed pliers. I found it easiest to work one corner of the seam loose, than hold the outer alum skin with one pair and twist/roll the skin onto the other. cut the lead strips leaving enought to be soldered to about 5' of 2 conductor 24ga. lamp cord from radio shack. after soldering, wrap the edge of the 9volt head with 1/2" making tape making a pocket. pour epoxy into the pocket and allow to set. strip of the tape. Now add the alligator clips. attach the contoller 9volt cap to your new cord. I filed a small opening in the edge of the battery door cover to pass the lampcord, stow the connected cord and cap in the battery compartment and close the cover.. connect to any 12volt battery you like. Works wonderfully
For a more comperhesive 12 volt conversion you might want to check out the files section of the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group. We have complete conversion instructions, photo layouts and parts lists
Hope this helps
Gee, maybe I'm just lucky. I've shot a dozen-plus times so far on a USED Duracell (the only one I had available) and it's still kickin' 'em off just fine.

well gobang:
I guess that's it you must be REALLY lucky. The long and short of it is each time you push the button you are dead shorting the battery. this process destroys 9volts in short order. So you must have one heck of a duracell.... I alway use duracells for everthing... except micro-maxx launchers. they just do not cut the mustard.
I tested 8 sets of regular and alkline 9volts, everyready, duracell and rayovac. all purchased with the "newest mfg dates" we could find, from several sources. I think we posted the data gathered in the files section of the micromax yahoo group if you'd like to check the stats. The proof is in the pudding, hands down the Energizer Max is the 9volt to use. no question.
I would recommend converting to 12volts anyway to aviod the battery failure problem altogether. it's quick and easy.

Back