USB-C Powered Estes Electron Beam Controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R3verb

Reaction score
So the other day, my son Jack (who's 2) and I went out to our local park to fly some small stuff. Because he's 2 and has a short attention span, I had everything read to go. Igniters in rockets, chutes packs, the works. We launch our first rocket (a Der Red Max on a C6-5), goes great. The remaining 4 rockets didn't fly because my controller was OUT OF BATTERIES. I was pissed and it sent me down the rabbit hole of designing a launch controller that would charge via USB like EVERYTHING ELSE IN MY LIFE. My idea was simple: convert an old Estes Electron Beam launch controller that I had from using 4 AA batteries to something that charged via USB.

My original though was to use 3 18650 cells is series to get ~12 V. After a lot searching, I wasn't coming up with a good way to charge 3 cells from a single USB connector. There are lots of projects out there that use little boards to charge a single cell but I wasn't finding anything that could do multiple. I ended up posting on the 18650 subredit () and one user pointed out that you can use USB-C Decoy devices to get a predictable voltage from a USB bank via Power Delivery (PD). These little boards are about $2 a piece so I figured it was worth a shot.

A few days later, these little guys showed up from Amazon:
No description available.

Some quick testing with a USB bank and a multi-meter showed 9V, just like the packaging said. I crudely used some jumper wires, connected it to a good Estes controller, hit the button and poof, igniter goes off like I hit it with a 9v battery. So I knew in theory this would work.

My next goal was to use as much of the Beam as possible. I jumped into fusion 360 and, with some patience and some digital calipers, faithfully recreated the important parts of the beam and 3d printed my first test:
Open photo

Version 1 had some issues, holes weren't cut through, bulb holder got messed up, but the layout was pretty much spot on so I started the iteration process, each time getting closer and closer to something that would work:

Open photo

By my 3rd print I had everything perfectly lined up and working. I had to add some stabilizer pieces and some new holes for the board and a new LED to show that the controller was powered but V3 was basically ready for parts:

As you can see, I'm using most of the original parts from the Estes controller; the button, the bulb, the key and the 3 metal pieces are all from the original controller.

Next, it was time to wire it all up and make sure it was all going to work:

While it looks like a lot, there's not a ton going on here. A simple circuit to light an LED to show that the controller has power and then a connection to the + and - ends of the controller (not shown) was all that was needed. With all of that done, I made some final changes to account for things like how to get the wires out, a back, some cosmetics to make the face look more like the original and sent it to the printer:

1674755348155.png 1674755356197.png

It's printing right now.........

1674755414064.png

I've got the rest of the pieces on the way and should be here over the next 2 days. I'll let you all know how it turns out! Additionally, once it's done and I prove that it works, I'll publish all of the 3d print files and links to where you can get the stuff I used.

Love it! In one of the many digressions on one of the many threads about the 2023 Estes catalog I made the suggestion that the current Electron Beam controller needs updated - this looks like an interesting path…

igniter goes off like I hit it with a 9v battery.
So it didn't work?

Just so you know, that's not a great analogy. There have been a few commercial 9V-powered controllers, and they all have reputations as being junk because 9V batteries don't put out enough current to fire igniters reliably.

Seriously though, great work on your controller. Hope the final product works like you hope.

This is an interesting project. I generally don't like using rechargeables in the 4AA-cell controllers (Solar Launch Controller, Electron Beam) because I don't use them often enough and NiMH cells self-discharge, even the really good ones, between uses. That said, I'm sitting here at the Washington coast at the moment, looking out on the beach and the Pacific, with a small field kit in which there is an Electron Beam into which I had to put fresh AA alkalines before we left, so that it would be functional for a little beach flying while we are here....

But this project has me thinking...not just repower an old controller, but create something new that charges from USB-C and runs maybe two 18650s in series, and uses an LED for continuity like recent E-Beams might actually be a controller I'd like to have. It could be smaller than an E-Beam (like the late, mostly unlamented Astron-II controller that used 9V batteries) and with the higher voltage of two Li-Ion cells vs. four alkalines and likely greater current delivery capability as well.

The revelation here is the little board that takes USB in and up-converts it to, in this case, 9V (which doesn't work with four lithium cells, or even three, so I'm curious about that), that makes a greater-than-5V but USB-chargeable controller possible.

@Antares JS I have had decent luck with small 9V controllers (the one I mentioned above and the Quest, as well as an old Estes Star Wars one in the shape of R2D2) but recent changes in 9V battery construction has made them problematical. That other thread where a fellow bought a bunch of different 9V batteries and then tested them as well as tore them down to see how they were made was a revelation.

But this project has me thinking...not just repower an old controller, but create something new that charges from USB-C and runs maybe two 18650s in series, and uses an LED for continuity like recent E-Beams might actually be a controller I'd like to have. It could be smaller than an E-Beam (like the late, mostly unlamented Astron-II controller that used 9V batteries) and with the higher voltage of two Li-Ion cells vs. four alkalines and likely greater current delivery capability as well.
Hey BEC,

I'd LOVE to have this. This was my original thought but I found it basically impossible to find any off the shelf board that would charge 18650 cells via USB. If you can find a board that does this, I'll design the controller! I was going to use an LED for continuity here too but it was actually more work than just using the bulb since I'm already using the rest of the guts of the old controller.

TLDR; you guys find me a way to charge 2-3 18650 cells via USB and I'll do the rest!

Also:

**Quick update. The bottom printed fine, the top fell off the bed. I went to replace the nozzle (long overdue) and broke the hot end fan. UGH. So now I get to replace that before finishing this project. I'll have an update soon hopefully!

So it didn't work?

Just so you know, that's not a great analogy. There have been a few commercial 9V-powered controllers, and they all have reputations as being junk because 9V batteries don't put out enough current to fire igniters reliably.

Seriously though, great work on your controller. Hope the final product works like you hope.
Lol didn't know this. This board puts out 9v at 2amps so should be powerful enough for the Estes igniters per that paper that everyone references. The white paper says 6v at 2amps so 9v and 2amps should be more than enough.

Hey BEC,

I'd LOVE to have this. This was my original thought but I found it basically impossible to find any off the shelf board that would charge 18650 cells via USB. If you can find a board that does this, I'll design the controller! I was going to use an LED for continuity here too but it was actually more work than just using the bulb since I'm already using the rest of the guts of the old controller.

TLDR; you guys find me a way to charge 2-3 18650 cells via USB and I'll do the rest!

Also:

**Quick update. The bottom printed fine, the top fell off the bed. I went to replace the nozzle (long overdue) and broke the hot end fan. UGH. So now I get to replace that before finishing this project. I'll have an update soon hopefully!
Yeah, I did some poking around and haven't found that charging circuit either. Is the board you are using the one that "negotiates" with the charger, and if it puts out voltages other than 5V as some USB-C devices do, it passes that through? There are LOTS of boards that will charge ONE 18650. I suppose one approach would be to put two of those in and have them charge the cells individually. There's a small 3s Li-poly charger on Amazon that uses this approach. It's discussed in one of the "how do I put a 3s Li-poly in my Estes PSII controller" threads on here.

I use LEDs in all my old controllers including the yellow Electron Beam that's here with me now. Pinball Life sells LED replacement bulbs that simply drop in where the older incandescents go. The "warm white" variant of this lamp is my current favorite. Drops right into any older Estes or Centuri controller and gives the right "look" as well, while reducing the continuity check current to safe for electric match or Q2G2 (I still have some) levels.

I use LEDs in all my old controllers including the yellow Electron Beam that's here with me now. Pinball Life sells LED replacement bulbs that simply drop in where the older incandescents go.

+1

I usually have a spare LED bulb in the range box to give to anyone who suffers a bulb SNAFU at a launch.

<snip>

I use LEDs in all my old controllers including the yellow Electron Beam that's here with me now. Pinball Life sells LED replacement bulbs that simply drop in where the older incandescents go. The "warm white" variant of this lamp is my current favorite. Drops right into any older Estes or Centuri controller and gives the right "look" as well, while reducing the continuity check current to safe for electric match or Q2G2 (I still have some) levels.
I just ordered some of those LED lamps you mentioned in this post.

The lamps were cheap. The shipping was expensive. :oops:

It’s (mostly) done!! So remember how I was printing the controller? Well, I ended up needing to replace my nozzle and while doing that my screwdriver went threw my fan. So then I had to replace the fan which meant finally doing some soldering work, it was a big long project ANYWAYS, I finally got the 3D printer back up and running and got the main body printed out. Some soldering work later (and some hot glue) and it was ready to test. Everything worked first try! I hooked up my multi meter and looks like I’m getting 9v at 3 amps so some pretty good power!

E67A860F-77A5-4839-8AD8-A62DB9EC699E.jpeg

23298895-4FA9-46BE-A9E6-245B671D21B6.jpeg

I still need some screws to hold the back on and I am considering using the wife’s Cricut to make a vinyl overlay for the top but at least it’s functional now. Now all I have to do is wait for the snow outside to melt……

Did you ever get some launches in with this thing?
I got……. Half. Turns out the little post in the middle broke which kinda messed everything up. It worked in the sense that the button was essentially always depressed so when I put the key in it just launched lol.

I think the issue was that the screw didn’t go all the way down into the plastic. It was basically just long enough to get to where the post tapered which I think made it way weaker than it should have been.

I reprinted it just the other day with a few modifications and used a l used a longer screw that should keep that from happening. I’ll for sure try it again next time I go do a park launch!

I have updates!

I printed a 2.0 version that worked ok and we actually got some good launches out of it. I finally have the geometry correct and it worked pretty well. The burn on the igniter always seems super strong and I know for a fact that I have enough battery to launch, no more wondering if the batteries in my launch controller are strong enough! In the 2.0 version I did notice that the button wash "mushy". I think this came down to the back of the brass strip not being supported well. I also didn't like how the top surface came out and the bottom plate was warped.

Enter the Bambu Lab Carbon X1. This printer is AMAZING. I printed a new top piece and it came out SO MUCH BETTER:

IMG_5094.JPG

Here's the top of the old one.

IMG_5088.JPG

And here is the new one.

I used the same filament but also used the PLA-Support filament and man, the top surface is great. I also switched from a free floating LED to one in a holder. It's insanely bright. I think this thing is finally done. I've taken it as far as I can go. The only thing I am going to change is adding threaded inserts once I get some. The only issue I have on this V2.5 controller is that the posts where the screws go in both broke off (I ended up just CA gluing it shut). Other than that, it's done! One other "feature" I like is that since the LED doesn't draw enough power, the USB battery bank shuts off after about 30 seconds. That means there's an extra layer of safety when my 3 year old picks it up and just starts pressing buttons. Even if I forget to take the key out, it'll turn itself off automatically. Annoying to some I'm sure but probably a finger saver while you have young kids lol. I'll leave some links and a build guide here in a few days. Next up, one with no Estes parts!

Here's some additional pictures (yes, the LED really is THAT bright)

IMG_5089.JPG

IMG_5090.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG

View attachment IMG_5092.JPG

View attachment IMG_5093.JPG

Alright everyone, I finally published the files to print this!

https://www.printables.com/model/756050-usb-c-powered-estes-electron-beam-controller/files

I really like the simplicity of the Estes Electron Beam controller but I HATE getting to the launch site only to have my whole day ruined by flat batteries. Introducing the USB-C powered Proton Beam Launch Controller!

This launch controller uses the guts of an Estes Electron Beam controller, a few dollars worth of parts and some soldering to make the launch controller USB-C powered! It delivers 9v at 2amp with a USB-PD capable battery bank and reliably launches your rockets with no question about how charged your AAs are.

Here is a list of the items used to make the controller:

To make this controller work, follow these steps:

• Remove all the pieces of the Electron Beam controller. This should include
    • bottom metal plate
    • top metal plate
    • wire with small metal plate attached and screw (cut the other end that is attached to the battery spring)
    • launch button
    • small plastic spacer ring and screw
    • light bulb
  • Solder the 2 ends of the LED to the corresponding + and - holes on the USB-C board. These will only work 1 way so I suggest testing it before soldering.
  • In the other set of holes, solder one end (doesn't matter which) to the free end of the long launch wire you got from the original Electron Beam controller.
  • Solder the other end to a similarly sized short piece of wire.
  • Solder the other end of the short piece of wire to the top metal plate. This will originally have been connected to the other side of the battery compartment.
  • Place the USB-C board in place, USB-C connector facing up and hot glue in place
  • Install the launch button on twist the light bulb into place
  • Place the bottom piece of metal into the same spot it was in the original controller
  • Slide the small plastic spacer ring over the center post, the same way it was in the original controller
  • Place the top metal piece into the same spot it was in the original controller.
  • Use the original screw to sandwich these all together but DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. This should be finger tight a MOST otherwise the post will break and you'll need to re-print the whole thing.
  • Install the short piece of metal attached to the wire leads using the screw into the same spot it was in the original controller
  • Run the wires through the slots and tie them in a knot close to the exit slot. Put some hot glue around them to keep them from rubbing on the plastic.
  • install the top plate using 2 extra screws that fit (I found 3mm works well but really anything slightly bigger than the holes should do fine. Again, don't over tighten these as the posts are prone to breaking. If you DO end up breaking/striping them just super glue it together.
Once everything is together, plug in a USB-C cable and test it out!

I hope somebody else tries this, I found it to be a very fun project and it's honestly my go-to launch controller now since I'm never worried about the state of charge of the AAs in my controller.

One slight quirk/feature. The little board doesn't draw enough power to keep the power bank from going into sleep mode. This means the controller will only stay powered on for about 20 seconds from the time you turn it on. This is actually a great safety feature since it means the controller isn't powered on while you are wiring up your igniters!

Printing tips:

• I printed this out of PLA and that seems to be fine but if you plan on doing a lot of launches, especially in hot summer heat you may want to consider PETG or something else UV resistant.
  • Print this with the top down and use supports. I was able to get a very clean top using the X1 Carbon. I did use PLA and PLA support material with the AMS but I imagine even just generating supports will work fine.
  • If you want to avoid supports, you can split the file to cut off the raised parts. It wont look quite as cool but you can avoid support materials this way. I may upload a second file with this if somebody asks for it.
If you end up making one, please share! I'd love some feedback! I already have a few ideas in mind including using threaded inserts for the posts and an easy to print version that doesn't require supports. I'm also working on one that doesn't need the Estes parts at all and I should be printing that in a few weeks (gotta finish some other printing projects first).

Thanks everyone for following!

Back