Looking for AMRAAM (AIM-120) Scale Data

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandman444

Reaction score
Most NAR competition stuff doesn’t interest me, but I’ve been toying around with the idea of building a decent size scale model to try out at a Sport Scale level of competition.

While a half-scale of the 7”x12ft sounds pretty reasonable, I couldn’t help staring at my pile of 7.5” body tube and wondering if maybe a slight upscale would be a fun challenge.

I’ve been looking online and I haven’t found what I think is enough information to do a fair reproduction.

I’m not picky about an A,B,C7, or D variant, whatever has the most information.

What do you all think? I’m not looking at winning any category, but just not totally embarrass myself and also learn some new and interesting building techniques. Does enough good information exist? What don’t I know about NAR competitions that might help me out?

I hope this link works properly:

42694183445_da9c419cd8_o.gif

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48113599@N04/42694183445/sizes/l

Someone had a link to the colour bands on the AMRAAM (All missiles for that matter) & what they mean. Anyone have the link?

Not to rain on your parade but NAR competition is limited to large model rockets. 3.3lbs maximum weight and less than 4oz. Of propellant. A model of that size would not be allowed.

I'm working on a similar project, but instead with 4" OD. Just an FYI, there is some variation across the missile revisions if you'd prefer a slightly different fin shape. Some of them have "squared-off" upper fins, starting with Revision C, and including revision D.
https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-120.html

Unfortunately, I don't have dimensions of the "squared off fins," though I'd be interested if someone else has them.

I hope this link works properly:
Peter, would you happen to have any dimensional data on the canards and fins of the AIM-120C? I think I have a good number on the span (482mm), but I could be wrong, and in any case my Mk. 1 eyeball thinks the leading edge slopes might be steeper than those of the 120A/B. Apologies if I've missed it in your books (of which I have all those which might be AMRAM-relevant).
That page is now down and sadly not cached by the Wayback Machine. I've read that practice rounds have three blue stripes and that the stripes on live rounds are yellow with two brown. Do you recall if that's what your source said?
I'm working on a similar project, but instead with 4" OD. Just an FYI, there is some variation across the missile revisions if you'd prefer a slightly different fin shape. Some of them have "squared-off" upper fins, starting with Revision C, and including revision D.
https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-120.html

Unfortunately, I don't have dimensions of the "squared off fins," though I'd be interested if someone else has them.
I'm curious about this too. Did you ever find good dimensions? Am working with a friend on a full-scale AMRAAM based on a very accurate fiberglass shell made by @tab28682 . We're trying to decide whether to give it A/B fins or C/D fins, and although the original fins look more "rockety" to me and the cp is almost certainly further aft than that of the clipped fins, if I can find their dimensions I'd like to be able to give the C/D fins a fair shake when making the decision.

I have not done any more research on the AMRAAM since I posted in 2018. Essentially, Chris Timm photographed and measured that one museum exhibit, and kindly sent me his measurements and prints of his photos over ten years ago. After generating that one drawing, I moved on. I just checked my flash drive, and I haven't revised the drawing since 2012. I haven't put the AMRAAM into any of my books or booklets.

Back