Logo note to vendors (hopefully helpful?)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KermieD

Reaction score
This year I got the assignment for putting together the program book for NARCON. As such, I got all the logos/advertising from the suppliers to put into the program book, and I'd like to offer a suggestion or two.

Some vendors use a full color scanned .jpg image for advertising. Please note that, while this looks great on your website, by the time it gets blown up to print a full page ad (probably 80% of the vendors went with full page ads this year), it looks pretty bad. One vendor in particular sent us an image that, by the time it was bown up to about 7-1/2 x 10", it was about 40 dpi and is pixellated as all get-out. I do apologize for that print quality, but I did not have time to go in and vectorize the parts that could have been worked with. Also, please consider what your artwork will look like in grayscale, as in most cases, that's what you'll be using.

Also, please consider the medium/size you're advertising in. I had some people give me landscape formatted objects for a full page ad that I had to turn sideways. Others gave me portrait formatted images for a half page ad. I even had one send me a picture and said "put some stuff about xxx and yyy with it". Hope yours turned out to your satisfaction. If not, again, I apologize, but I could only do so much with what I was given and the timeframe I had to work with.

I just thought I'd toss that out there, as it may come up for a number of you that you have the opportunity to put a print ad in for a local event and the quality of the advertising will send a message to your audience about the professionalism you will exhibit as a vendor. In this case, it probably wasn't such a big deal, as rocketeers know what most of the vendors do and are capable of doing, but you may run into the situation where you're trying to impress a local 4H group, a local hobby store, or some other group you wish to partner up with and, as they say, you only get one chance to make a first impression. :)

Originally posted by KermieD
This year I got the assignment for putting together the program book for NARCON.

BTW, where is my copy?

Originally posted by KermieD
... I had some people give me landscape formatted objects for a full page ad that I had to turn sideways..

Uhm, think that was me. Sorry.

Don't be sorry, bro. I just felt bad turning it sideways to make it closer to a full page since you really didn't get the coverage you should have. That being said, yours was the only one that worked out well by turning it like that, so it probably garnered you a little extra attention.

As to where yours is, I would talk to Gabe (maximuspad). I really have no idea where they are. I was just the layout guy.

I sure hope that mine was ok. I talk to Dave from Sirius rocketry and he said it looked ok.

Tom

None of them came out looking horrible, but a few of them were quite pixellated when printed on a full page ad. Yours was one of those that pixellated but ended up coming out okay. It printed ok for a bunch of rocket guys, but you might want to look at doing a higher-res version if you plan on printing at that size for an event that's not mostly "insiders".

If anyone likes, they can shoot me an email through the forum and I will reply with a .pdf that will show the ad exactly as it appeared in the program book to print out. Please note you'll really have to print it out to see exactly what I'm talking about.

Back