OpenRocket Tutorial: Making Metallic Finishes On Body Tubes.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Over on FB, I was asked how I make metallic finishes on rockets... Like the SBR Bullet...

For this I had made copper and brass "wraps" for OR, but that was a while ago... So, here's how to do a metallic color... BUT PLEASE NOTE: This *ONLY* works properly on body tubes, nosecones, launch lugs and transitions (round cylindrical, or round tapered things). Unfortunately, it doesn't work on fins (or other non-cylindrical (or tapered) things).

I search for images of the metal (or color) I'm looking for... Results for "metallic purple" should look something like this:

1708021494947.png

Then crop out a section from bright to dark (or dark to light... 1708021540216.png <- Full size sample.. Honest!!! (I could have made it only 1 pixel tall).

Double the image size and copy the sample, and paste it (mirrored) into the image... 1708021694726.png

Repeat the previous step... 1708021738839.png

And one last time... 1708021786450.png Completed image is only 372 x 9 pixels.

Save the results... and apply to your surface in OR (don't forget to set "Shine" to 100%).

1708021877263.png

And the results in the 3D Finished view... I did play with positioning the light source to get that appearance,
1708022007151.png

Now, if you need this to include some other color or a decal on the body tube, you'll need to make it the full length of your body tube *AND* its width stretching it as needed, and paste in your other colors or the decal and manipulate them as needed.

AGAIN: This *ONLY* works properly on body tubes, nosecones, launch lugs and transitions (round cylindrical, or round tapered things). Unfortunately, it doesn't work on fins (or other non-cylindrical (or tapered) things).

Back