LOC Ultimate Buzz, 5.5"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnager

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone built one of these?

Got mine finished and I'm pretty happy with it. Looked online for launch videos and this one seems to be uncommon.

Of course, I had to install the rear fins backward......

Going to have to post some pictures.

I hope fluorescent green and glitter is cool.

Only problem I had was the fin slots were about 117 degrees between one and two of the others, the balance was about 125-127 ish.
Had to widen two slots to accommodate and then fiberglassed the gaps. Not really worried about it.... the fin can is stout.

Pictures tonight or in the morning.

I hope fluorescent green and glitter is cool.

Only problem I had was the fin slots were about 117 degrees between one and two of the others, the balance was about 125-127 ish.
Had to widen two slots to accommodate and then fiberglassed the gaps. Not really worried about it.... the fin can is stout.

Pictures tonight or in the morning.

Attachments

• Buzz.jpg
    Buzz.jpg
    616.9 KB · Views: 1
I was going to reply that it's not the colors used as much as how it's uses.

I love it! Has a really cool 80s/90s vibe! :wos_love:

My wife suggested the color. I did the glitter and used some left over flame decals from an 8" Prometheus.

I agree, the more I look at it, the more I like it. It does seem to scream mid 90's.....

You can see mine fly on a k535 , on you tube by the rocket Smith. The video is called the screech flies again. It is at 5.35

I had the exact same problem on a LOC V2 4 inch. Fin slots were not at 90 degrees each (4 fins). Had to move two about 8 degrees to get properly aligned.

I had the exact same problem on a LOC V2 4 inch. Fin slots were not at 90 degrees each (4 fins). Had to move two about 8 degrees to get properly aligned.
On this one, I'm not sure if the diameter was a little tight and that made their machine cut grooves improperly, or if it was just sloppy. I didn't see it until I tried to insert the fin can, and it tore the body tube in two places.

I had large problems clearancing for the coupler for it to be insertable. MUCH sanding needed. I usually paint with epoxy or CA and grind/sand as necessary for clearance.

Last edited:

I don't expect too much, but if you can't have the fin slots spaced properly, I'd rather cut them myself, and have no problems doing so. I had a half inch gap on two fins, that had to be covered/reinforced with fiberglass.

My experience is the LOC'nFin is usually pretty well done. This one measured right. I was surprised as it got tighter and tighter as it was put in the airframe, as it jammed the edges of the two .

Very cool!

Did it "buzz"? :)

No, unfortunately. Could be because the back fin-set was installed backward. I have a couple of split fin rockets that whistle, but this one was a slow motor and it was pretty high when it cut off.

I may be able to get a whistle out of it with a J1299, J1799 or a K1499 if it doesn't get too high before the motor cuts off. I left all the intermediate edges square.

No, unfortunately. Could be because the back fin-set was installed backward. I have a couple of split fin rockets that whistle, but this one was a slow motor and it was pretty high when it cut off.

I may be able to get a whistle out of it with a J1299, J1799 or a K1499 if it doesn't get too high before the motor cuts off. I left all the intermediate edges square.
Note to self: Build strong.

Note to self: Build strong.
Agree.

My fin cans will (usually) tolerate more abuse than I am capable of providing. Maybe if they made a J/K4500, I may leave a fin or two on the pad., but more likely to leave the fins in the air as it gets too fast.

I have a lot of rockets, this one made my "like and re-fly" group. I kind of did a little disco dance when the main came out--fortunately no one saw me and thought I was having a seizure. I really like the Loc 5.5" stuff, and I have multiple exchangeable electronics.

Part of me wishes I'd have put a K1103X in that one, but, as you could hear, it was a little windy.

Recovery was a little over a 1/4 mile from the line. I could have used the bigger motor.

I wonder how many other people have had this problem?

Don't know. The LOC-n-Fin section was properly cut. It was just the tube fin slots that were an issue. Being a split fin, it was twice the issue, or at least twice as long of an issue.

I built the fin can outside the rocket, so putting that in is kind of the big deal. It was a little tight when I started, but it spread the tube like a peeled banana and tore the tube at one slot when it jammed. In the future, I'll measure the spacing between the slots.

Back