LOC IV for Certification flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktango22

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to slowly scratch build a rocket suitable for a cert. one attempt, but think I might benefit from also building a kit at the same time.

Any thoughts on the LOC IV for this purpose? Reasonable price and pretty solid reputation I think.

thanks

I am going to slowly scratch build a rocket suitable for a cert. one attempt, but think I might benefit from also building a kit at the same time.

Any thoughts on the LOC IV for this purpose? Reasonable price and pretty solid reputation I think.

thanks

If you have the room to recovery it then the LOC IV is a great rocket for L1 but keep in mind that you're flirting with 1600-1800ft. If you are tight on real estate then I'd recommend going with something larger and more draggy to kill the altitude. Something like a 5.5 Goblin on an H219 would only put you in the 625-650ft range. Easy, quick, low flight that you could use nose cone deployment without the worry of chute releases.

Pretty much any of the LOC 5.5 kits would give similar results depending on motor selection.

I recently used the LOC Warlock for my level 1.

The LOC IV is great for a certification launch if your field is soft. It has fins that are below the airframe. They will break if they hit something hard. Then you get to fix the fins and try again.

If you don't have room to hit 1500 feet, do you really have room for HPR?

Everyone likes to fly big motors so I'd say yes. H and I motors leaving the pad make a hell of a noise that everyone can enjoy.

Some of us just don't care to chase one a half mile to get it back. Someone earlier posted about flying for their level 1 at Bong which in my opinion is a terrible place to fly rockets due to the water and trees. Going there toward the end of the season is like Christmas with all of the rockets as ornaments in the trees.

Everyone likes to fly big motors so I'd say yes. H and I motors leaving the pad make a hell of a noise that everyone can enjoy.

Some of us just don't care to chase one a half mile to get it back. Someone earlier posted about flying for their level 1 at Bong which in my opinion is a terrible place to fly rockets due to the water and trees. Going there toward the end of the season is like Christmas with all of the rockets as ornaments in the trees.

I was not saying you have to fly 1500+ feet, I'l was questioning the size of the recovery area if you're concerned about flying that high.

I scratch built a rocket the size of the LOC IV (using LOC parts) for my L1. It didn't seem to go overly high on an H motor, not even too bad on an I motor. If you are concerned about chasing the recovery then the simplest thing would be to use a chute release.

. Some of us just don't care to chase one a half mile to get it back. Someone earlier posted about flying for their level 1 at Bong which in my opinion is a terrible place to fly rockets due to the water and trees. Going there toward the end of the season is like Christmas with all of the rockets as ornaments in the trees.
I'm curious to know why they keep flying at Bong recreational area with all of the trees and water problems. is this just because they don't have any place else?

I'm curious to know why they keep flying at Bong recreational area with all of the trees and water problems. is this just because they don't have any place else?

I'm guessing that has a lot to do with it. If you are lucky and get a day where there are zero winds then it's not bad but a 5 mph wind the wrong way and you're in the trees.

I'm going to LDRS this year. Should be interesting to see.

The last time I was at Bong was the last time they hosted LDRS. I didn't fly anything, just brought the extended family to show them what my "rockets hobby" was all about. I was surprised at the number of ponds around.

I'm planning to fly at LDRS this years. I will definitely bring a "recovery" change of clothes along and dry shoes incase I have to go wading to recover a rocket. Hopefully the local fliers will have better suggestions and recovery methods, but just in case...

thanks
I certified L1 with my LOC IV then converted it to redundant dual deploy (site rules). I flew it quite a bit and I'd still be flying it if the CTI motor hadn't failed. I just received my LOC IV kit. Build it right and it'll fly straight and true.

It's off the topic of this thread, but I'm just curious: what is the site that requires redundant dual deploy?
Four Corners Rocketry Association. Bloomfield, NM (south of town). It's only required for HPR. The launch site is on BLM land and there are oilfield facilities sprinkled around the area. I think redundant dual deploy was offered up to counter opposition to the site a long time ago.

Back