fiberglass vendor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richardx

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a good online vendor for purchasing fiberglass sheets?
I am building LOC IV for L1 cert and not sure if the fins will survive the landing. Thinking about adding a few layers of fiberglass to make them stronger.
Thank you!

Thanks!
I should have been more clear. I meant to say fiberglass fabric sheets for glassing. First time adding fiberglass, so starting small with just fins. If things go well, I might glass the tubes as well. Just wanted to get some experience with fiberglass for L2 cert build.

Is there a good online vendor for purchasing fiberglass sheets?
I am building LOC IV for L1 cert and not sure if the fins will survive the landing. Thinking about adding a few layers of fiberglass to make them stronger.
Thank you!

Are you looking for fiberglass cloth to laminate onto existing fins, or pre-made G12 sheet/stock to cut replacement fins?

BTW, the LOC fins are pretty dependable right out of the package. Are you flying on a hard surface?

edit: simultaneous posts.
You can buy 6 oz glass at big box stores where the Bondo is located, it works well. Otherwise, I use:
https://fiberglasssupplydepot.com/

Are you looking for fiberglass cloth to laminate onto existing fins, or pre-made G12 sheet/stock to cut replacement fins?

BTW, the LOC fins are pretty dependable right out of the package. Are you flying on a hard surface?

edit: simultaneous posts.
You can buy 6 oz glass at big box stores where the Bondo is located, it works well. Otherwise, I use:
https://fiberglasssupplydepot.com/

Flying on a dry lakebed with a potential for high wind. I am pretty sure the fins can handle the landing but just don't want to risk the L1 cert.
Thought about papering the fins but figured a few layers of fiberglass shouldn't be too hard.
I was recommended not to do DD on L1 cert. So can't go too big on the parachute.

Flying on a dry lakebed with a potential for high wind. I am pretty sure the fins can handle the landing but just don't want to risk the L1 cert.
Thought about papering the fins but figured a few layers of fiberglass shouldn't be too hard.
I was recommended not to do DD on L1 cert. So can't go too big on the parachute.
My LOC IV broke a fin landing on the Lake Bed at Jean Dry Lake. I went back and made my fillets bigger and I had no issues. So I recommend making your fillets larger than you think initially and you will be fine.

My LOC IV broke a fin landing on the Lake Bed at Jean Dry Lake. I went back and made my fillets bigger and I had no issues. So I recommend making your fillets larger than you think initially and you will be fine.

Thanks for the tip! I was going to use either BSI or West but might try Rocketpoxy for the fillet.

Thanks for the tip! I was going to use either BSI or West but might try Rocketpoxy for the fillet.
I started out using BSI 15 and 30 minute. Then switched to West Systems and now I only use BSI for the smaller rockets and the smaller components, then all my fillets are West Systems. I used Rocketpoxy once, and I didnt like my experience with it. However, I would like to try it again some time.

Back