Fiberglassing Airframes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg08

Reaction score
At what point would I need to fiberglass an airframe? I'm building my level 1 cert rocket which I also hope to use for my level 2 certification in the distant future. It will pull at most 30 gees and reach a top speed of 800 miles per hour (on my L2 motor). I am using LOC 4 inch diameter cardboard body tube which is 0.1 inches thick. Is it necessary to fiberglass my tubes? Thanks.

At what point would I need to fiberglass an airframe? I'm building my level 1 cert rocket which I also hope to use for my level 2 certification in the distant future. It will pull at most 30 gees and reach a top speed of 800 miles per hour (on my L2 motor). I am using LOC 4 inch diameter cardboard body tube which is 0.1 inches thick. Is it necessary to fiberglass my tubes? Thanks.
Post a sim file, and how did you reach those numbers. Most any cardboard rocket will fly fine on most L2 motors that are not extreme high thrust or that push the rocket supersonic...you mileage may vary...

Post a sim file, and how did you reach those numbers. Most any cardboard rocket will fly fine on most L2 motors that are not extreme high thrust or that push the rocket supersonic...you mileage may vary...
The rocket will most likely be a fair bit heavier due to the epoxy and electronics that I am going to install, so I should probably be fine.

sounds like my rocket I used ,,,for first flight to mach 1 on a K550 My rocket was glassed too. It folded in half right at the 'unglassed' coupler. It was interesting to see the 1/8 G10 fins snapped in half. There were still short tabs left on the rocket.

I think you'll be fine.

Tony

Last edited:
The rocket will most likely be a fair bit heavier due to the epoxy and electronics that I am going to install, so I should probably be fine.
Aint no way its going to weight that little, it should push 4.5 to 6lbs finished weight, depending on lots of things that aren't included, that add up quickly, like harnesses, hardware, batteries, electronics, avbay sleds, epoxy, paint, primer, all that stuff is going to add more mass than you think it will. However that motor will still fly that rocket nicely, and Redline motors are some of my favorites.

Aint no way its going to weight that little, it should push 4.5 to 6lbs finished weight, depending on lots of things that aren't included, that add up quickly, like harnesses, hardware, batteries, electronics, avbay sleds, epoxy, paint, primer, all that stuff is going to add more mass than you think it will. However that motor will still fly that rocket nicely, and Redline motors are some of my favorites.

Wow! Good thing I didn't buy my parachutes yet. I should definitely be fine without the fiberglass then. Thanks for the input.

Wow! Good thing I didn't buy my parachutes yet. I should definitely be fine without the fiberglass then. Thanks for the input.
Build the rocket first...then size everything else to match...like recovery and motor, but have an idea of what you want to accomplish. Sims help you to sort of match your idea to the finished product. You may also find that the rocket needs a smaller or larger chute than you originally planned, better to buy it once rather than twice, though if you fly rockets long enough eventually you have lots of chutes in many styles and sizes, as well as harness, hardware and others stuff.

why do you glass it? Will it enhance the structural strength of the tubes DURING FLIGHT in a meaningful manner?
Are LOC 4"cardboard tubes not able to survive mach?
Are LOC 4"cardboard tubes able to survive a L2 motor?
Why does the Hyperloc 1600 have a 3 inch motor mount (in a 4 inch tube)?

Perhaps a little science would help..... but that's for you to do.

I have, on rare occasions, fiberglassed tubes just to make them more durable when they bounce around in my trailer or truck bed. I do not make any claim to helping structural strength. I do claim I made it really heavy and killed it's performance, though!

Depends upon your tube.... If you've got the LOC style heavy-wall tube, you don't need no glassing... However, I recently bought some BT-80 from rocketry works before they kicked the bucket, and the tubes are (excuse the phrase) paper thin. They will crush too easily, so the rocket I am building will have a layer of 1.5oz fiberglass epoxied on just to keep it from falling apart on the first flight. I could have used couplers to beef it up, but I actually think the glass will be lighter.

There are reasons and considerations for glassing cardboard tubing besides flight performance and requirements. I built my L2 cert rocket with 4" LOC tubing and two layers of 6 oz. glass. The through the wall fins were filleted to the MMT and inner and outer BT, foam filled, and then tip to tip glassed with 6 oz. glass. None of that was needed for the I thru L motors it flew on. But it did survive several +Mach flights, the fin can was cut loose by a lineman and dropped 60 ft. and then bounced 5 ft. and survived with no damage. It flew consistently for +12 seasons and was retired after flight #50. I don't believe it would have survived near that long if it wasn't glassed and overbuilt like it was. In fact, a little TLC on the cardboard at the ends of the tubes, a new av-bay sled, shock cords and chutes and it could still be flying.

There are reasons and considerations for glassing cardboard tubing besides flight performance and requirements. I built my L2 cert rocket with 4" LOC tubing and two layers of 6 oz. glass. The through the wall fins were filleted to the MMT and inner and outer BT, foam filled, and then tip to tip glassed with 6 oz. glass. None of that was needed for the I thru L motors it flew on. But it did survive several +Mach flights, the fin can was cut loose by a lineman and dropped 60 ft. and then bounced 5 ft. and survived with no damage. It flew consistently for +12 seasons and was retired after flight #50. I don't believe it would have survived near that long if it wasn't glassed and overbuilt like it was. In fact, a little TLC on the cardboard at the ends of the tubes, a new av-bay sled, shock cords and chutes and it could still be flying.
That’s interesting. I’m not necessarily going for height, I just want something that I can launch over and over again. I might consider glassing it. Besides, that’s part of the fun!

That’s interesting. I’m not necessarily going for height, I just want something that I can launch over and over again. I might consider glassing it. Besides, that’s part of the fun!
That's one of the reasons I glassed the L2 cert rocket. I had never glassed tubes before and I wanted to learn. I know most folks say to keep it simple, but I used my cert rockets as learning opportunities. I used techniques and processes I had never used before when I built them. My L1 was my first DD, made my own nose cone, rolled my own coupler for the av-bay, scratch built everything but the MMT. My L2 was glassing tubes, tip to tip glassing of fins, foam filled fin can, and a zipperless fin can design.

It turned out I learned more building and flying my L1 cert rocket than any rocket before or since. I learned a lot with the L2 cert rocket also. Most of it resulted in, I'll never build another rocket the way I built those, but that's OK too.

Good luck, learn lots, and have fun.

That's one of the reasons I glassed the L2 cert rocket. I had never glassed tubes before and I wanted to learn. I know most folks say to keep it simple, but I used my cert rockets as learning opportunities. I used techniques and processes I had never used before when I built them. My L1 was my first DD, made my own nose cone, rolled my own coupler for the av-bay, scratch built everything but the MMT. My L2 was glassing tubes, tip to tip glassing of fins, foam filled fin can, and a zipperless fin can design.

It turned out I learned more building and flying my L1 cert rocket than any rocket before or since. I learned a lot with the L2 cert rocket also. Most of it resulted in, I'll never build another rocket the way I built those, but that's OK too.

Good luck, learn lots, and have fun.
I feel the same way as you about simplicity. I'm running a redundant dual deploy setup, I'd rather dish out a little money for altimeters I can use throughout my whole hobby than watch my 200 dollar-ish rocket that I spent weeks working on smash into the ground.

I feel the same way as you about simplicity. I'm running a redundant dual deploy setup, I'd rather dish out a little money for altimeters I can use throughout my whole hobby than watch my 200 dollar-ish rocket that I spent weeks working on smash into the ground.
I understand what your saying, but I'm not sure that is really the situation. I never used dual altimeters until I built my L3 rocket. Other than the L3 rocket, I flew single altimeters in all my DD rockets for 10 years and the only one that crashed was my L1 cert rocket. That was early on when I only had one altimeter and swapped it between rockets. I had an issue with a L2 rocket that landed under drogue because the main tangled. I moved the sled to the L1 rocket without changing the battery because everything beeped out good. I suspect a connection in the battery had broken and the L1 rocket lost power and reset under thrust so it lawn darted. It wasn't a problem with the altimeter because after testing, I'm still using that altimeter as the primary in my L3 rocket with 14 flights on it.

I really don't think adding a second altimeter really gives you much additional safety margin. It's the second battery, ematches, connections, and other parts of the system besides the altimeter that can improve the reliability. The altimeter isn't the weak point. Getting complacent because you have two altimeters is probably a bigger issue. Most altimeter failures are user errors with set up, configuration, connections, ematches, charges, etc.

I understand what your saying, but I'm not sure that is really the situation. I never used dual altimeters until I built my L3 rocket. Other than the L3 rocket, I flew single altimeters in all my DD rockets for 10 years and the only one that crashed was my L1 cert rocket. That was early on when I only had one altimeter and swapped it between rockets. I had an issue with a L2 rocket that landed under drogue because the main tangled. I moved the sled to the L1 rocket without changing the battery because everything beeped out good. I suspect a connection in the battery had broken and the L1 rocket lost power and reset under thrust so it lawn darted. It wasn't a problem with the altimeter because after testing, I'm still using that altimeter as the primary in my L3 rocket with 14 flights on it.

I really don't think adding a second altimeter really gives you much additional safety margin. It's the second battery, ematches, connections, and other parts of the system besides the altimeter that can improve the reliability. The altimeter isn't the weak point. Getting complacent because you have two altimeters is probably a bigger issue. Most altimeter failures are user errors with set up, configuration, connections, ematches, charges, etc.
Hmm, interesting. Maybe I’ve just been indoctrinated by my L1 “mentor/coach.” He’s a very avid fan of redundancy, and suggested RDD for both the main and the drogue for my L1 rather than just traditional DD with a drogue motor deploy backup. You are right, the probability of an altimeter actually failing is very low, the error lies in the construction. Now the thread is turning into a DD thread! Back to the rocket, if I have a 4” avbay, would it be worth it to run RDD just for the extra maybe 1% success chance that I get?

Last edited:
. It's the second battery, ematches, connections, and other parts of the system besides the altimeter that can improve the reliability.
So basically, you are saying that the fact that there is a spare system is what makes it safer, not the fact there is another altimeter. Makes sense, altimeters very rarely fail on their own.

Last edited:
For most of my DD rockets I fly with dual altimeters with redundant systems (4 charges). I calculate charges and then ground test everything. There have been times based on the altimeter data when the first charge doesn't push out the laundry, but the slightly larger backup charge does. There have been some other cases where a wire came unsoldered or disconnected during flight rendering that altimeter out of service, but the other one did it's job. So I'm a fan of dual altimeter systems.

For most of my DD rockets I fly with dual altimeters with redundant systems (4 charges). I calculate charges and then ground test everything. There have been times based on the altimeter data when the first charge doesn't push out the laundry, but the slightly larger backup charge does. There have been some other cases where a wire came unsoldered or disconnected during flight rendering that altimeter out of service, but the other one did it's job. So I'm a fan of dual altimeter systems.
On my last DD flight my main got a little stuck in the tube, but came undone eventually. I believe it would be helpful to have RDD.

Maybe I’ve just been indoctrinated by my L1 “mentor/coach.” He’s a very avid fan of redundancy, and suggested RDD for both the main and the drogue for my L1
Smart man...
rather than just traditional DD with a drogue motor deploy backup.
What makes that traditional?

would it be worth it to run RDD just for the extra maybe 1% success chance that I get?
Absolutely. BTW....how was the 1% calculated?

So basically, you are saying that the fact that there is a spare system is what makes it safer, not the fact there is another altimeter.
The spare "system" would not exist if it was not for the fact that there is another altimeter.

Except were it will not fit, all my rockets use two altimeters/batteries/switches, along with two matches in each charge, and the motor if the delay can be set long enough.

Smart man...

What makes that traditional?

Absolutely. BTW....how was the 1% calculated?

The spare "system" would not exist if it was not for the fact that there is another altimeter.

Except were it will not fit, all my rockets use two altimeters/batteries/switches, along with two matches in each charge, and the motor if the delay can be set long enough.
1. I agree, he is L3 certified.
2. I guess I just made up a definition in my head and ran with it. I should’ve said simplified DD or non-redundant DD
3. I was just using that to say in the very rare situation that something disconnects or malfunctions, it will be backed up by the other system. It's not exactly 1%, just an estimate.
Ok, you've helped me make up my mind. I'm going to run 2 altimeters, switches, etc. and 4 matches in total, as well as motor backup too. It will give me the best chance of success. Thank you!

Last edited:
To my mind motor-eject detracts from reliability. Have seen several motors lately that chuffed long enough before liftoff that their delay burned through too early and caused the rocket to shred when it ejected prematurely. Not a problem with a plugged closure and relying solely on electronics, assuming adequate prior ground testing of charges.

To my mind motor-eject detracts from reliability. Have seen several motors lately that chuffed long enough before liftoff that their delay burned through too early and caused the rocket to shred when it ejected prematurely. Not a problem with a plugged closure and relying solely on electronics, assuming adequate prior ground testing of charges.
Oh yikes I didn’t even think of that, I’ve never had a motor chuff. I’m debating whether or not to use motor eject now. I think it should be fine though because I will drill it to apogee+a few seconds, so if it does chuff it’ll eject at apogee or a few seconds before. However, two e matches should be more than plenty to deploy my drogue. Currently I’m leaning towards no motor ejection.

Back