Cutting Fiberglass Sheets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
I managed to get quite a bit of G10 fiberglass and want to chop it up for various things and I think it's about 1/8" thick. ATM...I need to make a ebay sled and am curious to see how y'all cut your sheets and what yields the best results. Worry not, I have a good dust mask and safety glasses. I was thinking a jig-saw with a plywood blade or a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. I am not opposed to going to hardware store and buying something that would work better. I could get a scroll saw I guess but would rather not get yet another big tool I would rarely use. So whatcha got?

Ideally, I’d use a wet tile saw. They can be cheap on Craigslist. People don’t want them sitting around after the DIY bathroom project is done.

ETA: I'd look for one with a tilting table, similar to the $69.99 Harbor Freight unit linked later in this thread. Dramatically expands the possibilities of usefulness.

Last edited:
I have the same question. I'm prepping to cut some 3/32" G10 for fins.
For G12 tubes, I use a metal cut-off disc on my miter saw. I was considering trying that to cut the G10 but in a table saw. However, I'd prefer to stack 3 sheets together while cutting so I can get all the fins the same. I'm not sure the cut-off disc can handle that thickness. The alternative would be to use a fine tooth (80/10" blade) carbide tipped blade.

I use a bandsaw. I have one for wood and one for metal. I would use the metal one for this as it has a fine tooth blade. A jiggle saw will work, clamp material down. Cutoff wheel also, but hard to get perfect cuts. Handsaw, but takes forever.

I bet those work great but...nah
Why is that? Tile saws work great for cutting fiberglass sheet, and even new ones can be pretty cheap. If you’re going to cut a lot of fiberglass it’d be totally worth it.

The upside of getting a table tool of some sort is nice straight cuts. A jigsaw/saber saw requires rigging up a fence or jig, if your freehand cutting is not very steady.

But yeah, if you don't want to buy a new power tool, just get the diamond or carbide jigsaw blade. Or a hacksaw would probably be good enough.

I use a wet tile saw, my neighbor gave it to me for free. The real advantage is no fiberglass dust. I also use it to cut liners for my research motors, just unplug the water pump, nice clean cuts with the diamond blade. Using the same blade for the last ten years or so.

I find if all you have is a regular jig saw blade they can be good enough if you keep the speed down to prevent excess heat. If you go too fast on the trigger, the epoxy tends to melt and gum up the teeth. Same deal for aluminum, slower usually cuts better or it just melts into the blade.

Carbide grit blade in jig saw or hack saw. Don't need diamond. Carbide burr in Dremel. Abrasive cutoff wheel in Dremel, grinder or chop saw.

I managed to get quite a bit of G10 fiberglass and want to chop it up for various things and I think it's about 1/8" thick. ATM...I need to make a ebay sled and am curious to see how y'all cut your sheets and what yields the best results. Worry not, I have a good dust mask and safety glasses. I was thinking a jig-saw with a plywood blade or a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. I am not opposed to going to hardware store and buying something that would work better. I could get a scroll saw I guess but would rather not get yet another big tool I would rarely use. So whatcha got?

I've found any blade or bit designed for cutting non-ferrous metals or composites works well. I use a radial arm saw and a router table almost executively when not otherwise cut with a CNC.

Tablesaw with diamond blade

I use carbide endmills in my mill.

Double stick tape onto some sacrificial aluminum and send it. Of course, a vacuum right at the endmill to suck up all the nasties.

Bonus is that I can make a perfect square/rectangle easily.

I use a router with either a 1/8" or 1/4" shank end mill. If it is smaller than 1/8" tool it will be a 2 flute coated carbide tool. If it is 1/8" or larger I will likely use and end mill designed for composites, again coated carbide. They can be used in a router w/table or as I do in a CNC. The picture is of a fin can I'm building.

Attachments

• DryFit-Fin-FVS-CenteringRings-MtrMnt_20240106.jpg
    DryFit-Fin-FVS-CenteringRings-MtrMnt_20240106.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back