Life lessons from the workshop and the range

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
…."Don't rush it" is one of the few genuine life lessons from rocketry, one that I've, unfortunately, had to relearn many times….
This was so thought-provoking that I decided it could potentially make a good thread on its own.

What’s one widely applicable skill or lesson that you’ve learned or perhaps imparted to somebody else via rocketry? I can certainly think of a couple on my own.

Here’s my contribution: You are, for the most part, responsible for your own successes and failures. Obviously you can have support if you’re tackling something challenging, but it’s up to you to ask for it, and YOU are ultimately the one who has to deal with the result when you push the launch button.

Always giftwrap the garbage, that way somebody will steal it and it becomes their problem.

Patience is not a virtue, Patience is the fifth Halliwell sister.

"It's not a race"

"Don't think, make sure"

While you may understand a concept (impulse for instance) it's entirely another animal to put it into practical terms / practice.. Knowing x should be about 10 is a lot easier than proving x =9.82584..

And there is a difference between:
I think
I believe
I know

"Go fever" is a costly mistake, even if you only allow it to happen once.
Being an aviation historian as well, I can name several examples of “get-there-itis” ending in tragedy. It’s an entirely preventable condition too.

No relation to another common condition among rocketeers that I like to call Gear Acquisition Syndrome, or G.A.S.

"better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

"Booze [or other] will get you thru times of no money better than money getting you thru times of no booze [or other]"

"Easier isn't always better" (for methods, procedures, etc..)

Always learn from others, even if they aren't directly teaching you..

There is always someone better / smarter / faster / taller / more agile / prettier / a better shot / etc.. etc... than you.

You are the most important person in your life. Take care of yourself first, others will follow.

Don't get too obsessed with any one project.

I know that from too many of my other than 3FNC projects.

Back