Life lessons from the workshop and the range

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get too obsessed with any one project.

I know that from too many of my other than 3FNC projects.

Life lesson: Rocketry is about fun and camaraderie. At the end of the day, it should be about enjoying an endeavor with like minded individuals. All of the bad things like catos, rockets drifting away, getting caught in trees, coming in with no chute and so on, are just part of the experience. I’d rather launch rockets and tell stories with friends and chalk it up as a good day than just about anything else.

This is actually an excellent topic, and I used Rocketry as a medium to teach my daughters many life lessons, and 'sneak in' a little chemistry, engineering, math, and EE/computers.

Here are a few I've heard my kids (most now in College) tell their friends when asked about rocketry:

1) An appreciation of "what's inside"

Consumerism is the reality for most of our life; we buy things, use them, then discard them without much thought about how it was made, or what's inside. Building a rocket gives you a 'peek' behind the packaging - where it comes from what's involved in its creation, etc...

Most importantly, it gave my kids the curiosity, and confidence to use those build skills on products they may have previously just used and discarded.

2) Create your own solution

When building a rocket, you get out what you put in; There often isn't one way of doing things, and, with a little prompting the creative 'solutions' to problem-solving just start to pour out. The confidence this generates has given my kids the self-esteem to tackle much harder problems in life.

3) Grit

Don't know a better word for it, but sometimes things take a while and if you try and rush to the end, or come up with a solution (#2 above) that didn't work, it can be very frustrating. The ability to fail, dust yourself off, and try again seems to be a dying art. Learning from failure, adapting, not giving up may be the best lesson they've taken from rocketry.

This was so thought-provoking that I decided it could potentially make a good thread on its own.

What’s one widely applicable skill or lesson that you’ve learned or perhaps imparted to somebody else via rocketry? I can certainly think of a couple on my own.
When I saw the thread title I clicked it so I could add my "don't rush" comments. Then I read the above. I'm flattered and touched.

Perfect is the enemy of good enough.
And "Eh, it'll do" is the the enemy of truly good. Finding the middle ground can be hard.

220, 400, whatever it takes.:)

80% (70%? 90%? :questions: ) of the job is prep.

A similar portion of maintenance is cleaning.

Do the job right. There are lots of ways to do it right, and LOTS more of doing it wrong.

I'm an engineer and sometimes prone to perfectionism. I've argued with too many engineering managers who've said "It meets the spec, so it's good enough" when it only barely meets the spec and is not what anyone should call a quality product. and I've almost always lost those arguments. Because when people say "Logic dictates that..." they're wrong. Logic suggests, but money dictates.

Off the top of my head, I would say the biggest life lesson I got from rocketry is how to handle failure.

It's not the end of the world if you fail at something. Figure out what went wrong as best you can, pick up the pieces, and either try again or move on.
Like the song says, "Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and jump from a higher window next time."

I'm an engineer and sometimes prone to perfectionism. I've argued with too many engineering managers who've said "It meets the spec, so it's good enough" when it only barely meets the spec and is not what anyone should call a quality product. and I've almost always lost those arguments. Because when people say "Logic dictates that..." they're wrong. Logic suggests, but money dictates.
That makes you a damn good engineer...

If you pay for and install technology, use it correctly. Context below
"I don't hear the beeps" - "Ah... it's alright, I'm going for it" <-- how to lose an Aspire destined for 3,900'.
I found it 2 months later and it's parts are now on a new rocket. Which leads to-->

If it can be fixed, fix it. There's already too much schtuff in the trash.

Zero's matter. Don't believe me? Let me make change for your $100 dollar bill :D

The last one is a tough one because it's got spiritual and or religious "meaning" for some and it's deeper than an L3 rocket whose recovery failed. Even if you don't believe in those words there's not a whole lot wrong with the premise. It's made my work and personal life a whole lot easier. Here you go:

Be wary of your ego.

In Wayne Dyer's movie The Shift (really good, hard to find, Ebay will sometimes have it) he said EGO stands for Edging God Out. That's off putting to some people which is a shame because it's a useful construct. Another way to think of it is stop trying to control the things that you can't (other people, your cat, etc)

This came from a Wayne Dyer Blog post- HERE

No one has ever seen the face of ego. It is like a ghost that we accept as a controlling influence in our lives. I look upon the ego as nothing more than an idea that each of us has about ourselves. The ego is only an illusion, but a very influential one. Letting the ego-illusion become your identity can prevent you from knowing your true self. Ego, the false idea of believing that you are what you have or what you do, is a backwards way of assessing and living life.

You’ve probably noticed the word AMBULANCE written backwards on the front of a vehicle so that a person seeing it in their rear-view mirror can read it. When you look into a mirror, what you see is backwards, too. Your right hand is your left, your eyes are reversed. You understand that this is a backward view that you are seeing and you make the appropriate adjustments. You do not confuse reality with the image in the mirror.

The ego-idea of yourself is very much like the mirror example, without the adjustments. Your ego wants you to look for the inside on the outside. The outer illusion is the major preoccupation of the ego.

The ego-idea has been with us ever since we began to think. It sends us false messages about our true nature. It leads us to make assumptions about what will make us happy and we end up frustrated. It pushes us to promote our self-importance while we yearn for a deeper and richer life experience. It causes us to fall into the void of self-absorption again and again, not knowing that we need only shed the false idea of who we are.

Our true self is eternal. It is the God force within us. The way of our higher self is to reflect our inner reality rather than the outer illusion. The description given by Sogyal Rinpoche in The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying is a wonderful explanation of this discovery: “Two people have been living in you all of your life. One is the ego, garrulous, demanding, hysterical, calculating; the other is the hidden spiritual being, whose still voice of wisdom you have only rarely heard or attended to.” He refers to this hidden spiritual being as our wise guide.

When we learn to transcend the illusions sponsored by the ego, we can access this wise guide. We can invite in the higher aspects of ourselves to function in their natural, loving, and integrated design.

The tool you gave away because you decided you didn't need anymore is the tool that you will need on your next project. And it's corollary, the trash you threw away when you cleaned up your shop includes parts that you will have to buy because you need them on your next project.

If you are doing absolutely nothing; how do you know when you are done?
Now the problem you face when doing nothing is that by doing nothing, nothing gets done, and if nothing gets done, then you can never get done with doing nothing.

Don't fall into this trap people.

True. One can be very knowledgeable in terms of a specific topic but otherwise one string short of a set.
Anybody that has worked at any of the big "Silicon Valley" tech-companies has met one or more people that fall into this category.
Absolutely brilliant in their field but you wouldn't trust them to do your laundry or cook dinner for your kids.

I'm an engineer and an OCD perfectionist. I never had to deal with that version :D
One I use with my TARC teams is "Engineering is the science of good enough." It was a favorite line of my materials professor, intended in the sense of not overbuilding. Just because a 5-ton shackle has twice the load rating as a 2.5-ton shackle doesn't mean it's necessary for your project.

One I use with my TARC teams is "Engineering is the science of good enough." It was a favorite line of my materials professor, intended in the sense of not overbuilding. Just because a 5-ton shackle has twice the load rating as a 2.5-ton shackle doesn't mean it's necessary for your project.
And I have no argument with that.

In the right context, I like your professor's definition of engineering. There are many definitions of engineering. One of them comes from my father: "Engineering is the art of making things you want out of stuff you can get."

Anyway, another life lesson from rocketry: Don't overthink it.

Last edited:
That "measure twice, cut once" statement is a given. More like measure 30 times...

Isn't that the truth?

Mine is "blow it out or blow it up". I have never seen too much ejection charge, but I have seen a lot of too little.

I add 5-10% to all ejection charges. I do this by rounding up to the appropriate tenths of a gram. I have never had on fail.

That being said, parachutes fouling are a separate problem.

"Fix It 'Til It's Broke"
"You can do anything you want on your Last Day"
"Maintenance: Fighting a rearguard action against the heatdeath of the universe."

Back