Lacquer or enamel paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
at $23.00 a can you will have to have several rockets lined up to paint as soon as you tap that button on the bottom and release the catalyst, I think you've got 48 hours to use the contents of the can

Createx Colors work great. I spray with Iwata LPH80 or Eclipse HPCS airguns. Createx has tons of info on their website and a gazillion How To videos on YT.

great spray guns, What do you use for your top coat?
I topcoat for clear over my Createx/Wicked Colors etc acrylics with any of:

Krylon 1305 Gloss UV Resistant Clear

Rustoleum Clear Enamel

"Future" or whatever they call it now. I have a couple bottles of different vintages, I think.

Properly cured acrylic will be fine with any of those. In rare cases, I've had Future cause the acrylic to run just a bit, if put on too heavy.

Most of the time I use Future and it works fine.

Last edited:
got pictures for us?
I don't really have great pics, but here's a shot of the fleet. I have a Warlock under construction at the paint stage. It will feature lightening bolts and a Warlock. I just finished taping off the lightening bolts (see attached pics). The square blue tape is just to hold the nose cone in position, it will come off just prior to laying in the base black background. Then I'll go in and airbrush clouds, etc. There's a PML Andromeda and an Ariel waiting in the wings to be built.

Attachments

• fleet.jpg
    fleet.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • warlock-lightening-1.jpg
    warlock-lightening-1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • warlock-lightening-2.jpg
    warlock-lightening-2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • warlock-lightening-3.jpg
    warlock-lightening-3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • warlock-lightening-tape.jpg
    warlock-lightening-tape.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
The problem with paint is that people keep tinkering with the formulas for various reasons. Many years ago I had good luck with Krylon, then not too long ago I had good luck with Rustoleum. Now I don't know what to use.

I completely agree with this statement. For years I was having really good results using Rustoleum paints. Never an issue to speak of. About 3 yrs ago I began having issues with drying, then issues with compatibility. Next came issues with the spray cans and forget about clearing over anything. It seemed like they changed everything over the course of a couple of years. I was suddenly having issues where the paint wouldn't dry. Even days or weeks after painting it was still tacky. I built a rocket, painted it and brought it inside. After about 4 days it was still tacky so I took it outside and left it in the summer sun for a couple of days. After about a month it was cured. That rocket was painted dark red so it didn't have a ton of paint on it as it covered easily.

I then started seeing issues where paints would crack and wrinkle when the second color was applied. This was days, sometimes weeks after the original color. In the end I threw away all of my Rustoleum and moved to Krylon. I've not had a single issue since moving to Krylon. If I'm working on something I want a special finish on I'll go with Duplicolor but in general that stuff is too expensive for rockets that will just get banged up.

Lacquer and enamel paint for altitude, both have their pros and cons. Lacquer paint tends to dry faster and provides a smooth, glossy finish, but it can be more fragile and may not hold up well in extreme conditions. Enamel paint, on the other hand, offers better durability and is less prone to chipping, making it a more suitable choice for areas with potential wear and tear. If you're not aiming for extensive polishing and want longevity, enamel might be your better bet.
https://paintsgeek.com/sanding-acrylic-enamel-paint/

Back