L3 Carbon Fiber Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy_O

Reaction score
I have now retired from the corporate world and have some free time so I have decided to finally build my my Level 3 project.
I am planning a scratch built project with a a 5.5" carbon fiber airframe with a fiberglass nosecone.

Guy

Last edited:
Here is the design from Rocksim
CCR Level 3 130MM (1).jpg

and some pictures of the tubes that I will be using for the airframe and motor tube. The airframe tubes are 5.5 inches by 48 inches each and the motor tube is a 4" diameter.
DSCF0938 (1).JPG

It should weigh around 14-15 lbs when complete.

Guy Ogino

Last edited:
Those are some BEAUTIFUL carbon fiber tubes. Keep 'em away from paint! I'm looking forward to this build.

Good Luck

--Alex

Well hello there Guy!
Greetings & Salutations! Charlie & I spoke about your project just the other night. I for one, am looking forward to the flight. Gonna try and do it in O'burg?

Nice looking tubes! I have one of its brothers, made of carbon/Kevlar.

Charlie O is making these, along with carbon plate for fins & several High performance-high quality kits. We have flown a couple of the prototypes and they really scream & squeeze every drop of performance out of a motor. If you're in the market for carbon give him shout/check out his website.[above] You won't regret it.

My pics don't do justice with all the smeary fingerprints on the tube.

Sure I'm gonna paint them...how else you gonna find them? LOL
This one just may be going to turn into a SpaceCowboy 98!
Can you say.."skedaddle''Lol

DSCN0680.jpg

DSCN0683.jpg

Good quality tubes. Charlie is has built some real speed demons so I am sure they will hold up.

Jim
Yes i would like to get my L3 in Orangeburg. I am looking to following your build of that 98mm carbon/kevlar tube. I like the way that the weave looks on it. It really looks sharp.
Guy

Those are... the most awesome tubes ever. I have seen violins made of this... but never a rocket. I can not wait to see more <:3

I have now completed the bulkheads & centering rings and finished the motor mount, including the motor retention.
IMG_0133 (2).JPGIMG_0134 (2).JPGIMG_0138 (2).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0137 (2).JPG
    IMG_0137 (2).JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 201
Looking good! What motor do you wanna fly this one on... it seems like it would preform well with the materials you have.

Those are... the most awesome tubes ever. I have seen violins made of this... but never a rocket. I can not wait to see more <:3

CF is a common (but expensive) airframe material on high performance rockets. Strong, light and sexy!

Alex

The tubes are really nice I agree. I didn't know about the violins though. Is this for improved sound, I wouldn't imagine it is for weight or strength?

A good day yesterday. Beautiful weather and a lot accomplished on the rocket build.
  • Laid out and cut the fin slots
  • Epoxied the motor mount in place
  • Positioned the fins and glued them in place
Fins set in place.jpg

Put the fillets on each fin
  • Fillet mix was epoxy, graphite and collodial silica
  • Radius was made with a 1.5" PVC pipe
Fillets2.jpg

Today I plan to begin the laying the carbon fiber tip to tip on the fin can

And one more picture of the beautiful tube (for the folks that commented earlier on the thread)
DSCF0947.JPG

Last edited:
So are you going to try to make the fin can purdy like the rest of the tubes or are you going to paint it?

I take it that's a 98mm mount?

So are you going to try to make the fin can purdy like the rest of the tubes or are you going to paint it?

I take it that's a 98mm mount?

Dave

I'm still thinking about the finish on the fin can not sure yet if I will just polish the area or give it some paint for better visibility. And yes it is a 98mm motor mount and will be able to take up to the 6 grain XL.

Guy

Dave

I'm still thinking about the finish on the fin can not sure yet if I will just polish the area or give it some paint for better visibility. And yes it is a 98mm motor mount and will be able to take up to the 6 grain XL.

Guy

6g XL? N3400 skid? 15k on a skid maybe? Or are you going to abuse it with a N5800?

Don't scare me.

I am anxious enough about just attempting a L3 flight.

The red in that case is pretty sah-weet as well. We flew our infamous "Group Therapy" on one of those a while ago:

[YOUTUBE]yTUi5B2HHog[/YOUTUBE]

~180 (?) pounds on the pad, 12" dia., 20' long. Flew to 5200 and some change. Main accidentally slipped out at appogee.

Don't be anxious! Have fun with it!

I am really liking the look of this one... I really can not wait to see her fly. Dual deploy?

Completed two layers of carbon fiber laid tip to tip on each set of fins. Not too much trouble, just took a lot of time and patience.
DSCF0944 (2).JPGDSCF0945 (2).JPGDSCF0946 (2).JPG

Back