L1 attempt motor, little question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Off Grid Gecko

Reaction score
So, since I started looking into this a couple years ago (before I destroyed my custom build), I was under the impression that you had to purchase and assemble your first HP motor at the event you intended to fly your L1 attempt, so that you could be supervised. This might be from a different club, I'm planning on joining NAR when the time comes. But Apogee and other distributors will sell you one for your attempt without an L1 cert?

Just a little confused on that. Can you buy/build the motor before driving out to the flying field?

If you were to use a single use motor, as I did, there is no building just BP charge and drilling of delay.
Vendors are allowed to sell one motor for your cert flight. Such as, my level 3 purchase required proof of my level 2 cert. I do know that some or maybe all TAPS will watch motors being built via a video call and such. You would have to talk to yours and the prefect of your club.

You can purchase one ahead of time but for Level 1, plan on actually assembling the motor in front of your witness.

Source:
https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/level-1-hpr-certification/

2.2.4 reads: "Single use, reloadable, or hybrid technology motors are permitted. The modeler must assemble the reloadable motor, if used, in the presence of a certification team member."

Last edited:
You may purchase one high power motor for your cert attempt prior to your cert attempt. If it needs to be assembled (Aerotech) you should do that at the field while being supervised. Some people may let you use a motor that has been assembled before you arrive for your cert attempt, but I strongly recommend you have someone watch you assemble it to avoid a mistake. If there is a motor vendor at the field it is good form to buy a motor from them. Contact the club and vendor ahead of time to inform them that you are intending to cert. Bring your cert paperwork.

I was building AT reloadable motors for mid-power use before I achieved my L1 cert.
However, for my L1, I used a single-use DMS motor. I think my certifier appreciated that too, as he wanted to fly as well. In addition to reducing risk, it made things go a bit quicker.

Good luck on your L1!

You should also check with your local club about state and local regulations regarding transport of motors.

Thanks for all the great info. It seemed a bit odd to me at first but it makes sense. It'll be a while out, and I'm sure I'll pester the heck out of the club before I go, but I like having my ducks in a row well ahead of time. Things just go more smoothly that way.

Back