Kickstart Super Bowl Commercial

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hball55

Reaction score
All those rockets going up with those sparky motors . . . were there added sparks via CGI?

I've been hitting refresh just to see how long it would take for someone to post about the commercial. Pretty cool, indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfoiY0jlqA0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mark

Mark Joseph
TRA/NAR L2
Central Illinois Aerospace
Very cool, but if there's a commercial they should have posted in HD, it's that one. It could be that YouTube is still rendering them from that very recent upload. That can take a while, especially when YouTube is getting a lot of use.

Pretty cool that it was actually real.
[video=youtube_share;U13gJA0kQRQ]https://youtu.be/U13gJA0kQRQ[/video]

That was pretty awesome. I had assumed there was a lot of CGI involved, but evidently there were actually a lot of rockets involved :)

Were they commercial motors or 'firework motors'? That's what I wanna know.

Very cool, but if there's a commercial they should have posted in HD, it's that one. It could be that YouTube is still rendering them from that very recent upload. That can take a while, especially when YouTube is getting a lot of use.
Nope. Still only 360p.

Were they commercial motors or 'firework motors'? That's what I wanna know.

They appear to be using normal commercial motors but all the rockets also each have two electrically ignited sparky things stuck to the sides with epoxy putty.

They appear to be using normal commercial motors but all the rockets also each have two electrically ignited sparky things stuck to the sides with epoxy putty.

I watched the whole video and just noticed that... Saw some Estes kits mixed in there. Wonder if they used any APCP.

Pretty sure they missed min safe distance for a drag race.....and a few past max liftoff weight.... :)

Looks like a bunch of hobby store rockets with some pyro on them. Too bad they didn't call someone here and get a skid and a half of Dark Matter....

If you frame by frame there are several frames where you can see "Sparks" that are HIGHER than the rockets.. so I am SURE there is Quite a bit of CG going on here.

still pretty cool

I guess we know NOW where all of the Q2G2 igniters went. :roll:

That was pretty cool!

BTW, it's always a good idea to slam some high-caffeine energy drink with electrolytes and vitamins before hitting the bars, because it minimizes the recovery time between blackouts.

I wonder how long it'll be before NOOBS find us here and start asking questions about how to build those kinds of rockets.

Hey Guys, I'm not a Rocketeer, but a close friend of mine worked on this, "Kickstart your Night" TV commercial.
It was shot in Palmdale California ( 1 Hr. N/E of Los Angeles ) over two evenings. (Nov. 2013) There was no CGI used, but they did launch approx. 400 rockets of various sizes in about 1.5 seconds. I was told they performed this launch twice, using over a dozen cameras during each launch, with a few Go-Pros even attached to the larger individual rockets. He did say most of the rockets had been customized to create sparks during launch to make this huge dusk launching a real spectacle, but what was added He did not know.
I'm sure this commercial will be released in longer versions, and additional edits to show off more aspects of these launches.

Here is a link to the commercials making. https://www.mountaindew.com/kickstart/#/media

Palmdale Video Setup.jpg

Last edited:
I thought it looked more like they CG'd in rockets to footage of Macy's fireworks, than CG'd in sparks to footage of rockets.

Next time tell 'em to get bigger rockets with Dark Matter or Skidmark motors :) :)

10028628506_92122a7e8c.jpg

stolen from one of Crazy jims posts:
attachment.php

Last edited:
Next time tell 'em to get bigger rockets with Dark Matter or Skidmark motors :) :)

10028628506_92122a7e8c.jpg

stolen from one of Crazy jims posts:
attachment.php

I can't imagine what their budget would have been for 400 K456 Dark Matter loads, plus the hardware and fiberglass to fly them with. Just the motors would be over $40,000. And where did they get that many rockets to start with, built by whom?

The commercial made me try it...I have 2 more in the fridge now...so they got three sales out of me!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

And where did they get that many rockets to start with, built by whom?

That's what I wondered, who was the lucky SOB that got paid to build a couple hundred rockets?

It's not a bad product, mixed with a little vodka.

Thanks for the info. Palmdale makes perfect sense for the launch. I lived there for two years and it looks spot-on, down to the number of lights in the background of the actual launch (at 1:17 in the "behind the scenes" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U13gJA0kQRQ).

The shot at 1:03 in the behind the scenes still puzzles me, though. Unless Palmdale has grown up a _lot_ since I used to live there. :)

It almost looks like they composited the downtown LA skyline onto a Palmdale foreground?

I'd love to hear any more details you are able to share.

Last edited:
I was at a local watering hole with fellow firefighters when the commercial came on. Over din of insults being exchanged between seahawk and bronco fans, came a voice yelling "Go, baby, go!" "You got to love it!" "Woooo!". The watering hole went quite and standing there, in their amongst the super bowl fans, was me, with a s--t ass grin on my face. :smile: The commercial made my day.

"Eebert", you are correct to notice the one edit the Art Director made was a distant backdrop of Los Angeles actually, ( You can always tell L.A. because of the top lit highest round tower, it was called the Library building, and was "Landed On" in Bladerunner, "Blown-Up" in Independence Day, etc.) Between Palmdale and the dry lake bed of El Mirage there has been more movies and commercials shot than you could ever count.

Just to touch on some of the guys here asking, "That seems like a lot of money, buying 800 rockets." That's true, but considering the $900,000+ budget for producing this commercial, then $2,000,000+ for a 30 second spot during the Super Bowl? Maybe not so much!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back