Just tried the q-jet composite motors by aerotech

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RalPh8

Reaction score
So today I finally tried the Q-jets. The guy I got them from said "they burn hot". Boy he wasn't lying! hahaha I put a D16 in the estes helicopter rocket and it ripped off one of the helicopter blades on the way up and then blew the nose cone off so hard the shock cord broke. lol. I did some side by side testing with the black powder motors from estes, as far as I could tell they both travel about the same distance for impulse range but the Q-jets get there quicker with a cleaner burn. It's nice to be able to have another impulse range (D) in 18mm. Even if It does cause me to break some rockets. :)

I like the Q-jets I flew my scratch build Little Joe II on a B4-4 this weekend and was a very good flight. I like the smoke they produce. I think they ignite way better than Estes BP motors.

A Flip Flyer is probably not the ideal model to fly with a D16, that's for sure.....

I think if you do a little more comparing you'll find that the Q-Jet C12 outperforms an Estes C6 in all but the lightest models. Agreed the Q-jet B4s perform on a par with Estes B4/B6.

Terry,

What possible model do you have in mind for an A3-6? I have a few of these and I'm not sure they'd even be OK in a Viking or a Wizard or other similar MD model....

That said, after the initial teething issues (and that case diameter problem) they are very nice motors across the line.

Nice video. To bad about the lawn dart. But it was funny you guys digging it out.
The rocket is very durable (thanks @James Duffy). Reglued the shoulder, inserted a new tip, spit polish, and good as new.

An interesting thing about the D21-4 is the virtual lack of exhaust compared to the D16-4.

Last edited:
Funny thing. I was shopping jonrocket and saw they had a 12 pack of C18-6w for $44 so jumped on that. They replied there was an error in their inventory so they’re sending me 5 packs and reimbursing for 1 pack. Now that’s customer service. I seem to lately order from them as much as Estes.

So today I finally tried the Q-jets. The guy I got them from said "they burn hot". Boy he wasn't lying! hahaha I put a D16 in the estes helicopter rocket and it ripped off one of the helicopter blades on the way up and then blew the nose cone off so hard the shock cord broke. lol. I did some side by side testing with the black powder motors from estes, as far as I could tell they both travel about the same distance for impulse range but the Q-jets get there quicker with a cleaner burn. It's nice to be able to have another impulse range (D) in 18mm. Even if It does cause me to break some rockets. :)

They are probably too high thrust for that rocket. I am not sure hot equated to high thrust.

They are good for heavier 18mm models.

They are probably too high thrust for that rocket. I am not sure hot equated to high thrust.
Literally, no. But figuratively as it was stated, yes. He meant they’re fast. Or at least that’s how I took it.

a lot of 18mm Estes rockets were never designed for composite propellant. But that doesn’t mean I’m not gunna have fun sticking the motors in there and seeing what happens! :)

I wish their A3s [7 N]were closer to the Estes A8s [9.6N] in terms of initial thrust. The Estes have a stronger first kick while the Q-Jet A3s have a longer burn. I really like the Q-Jets and would use them more, particularly for clustering.

I think the thrust was so much that the glider mashed onto the connector and didn't detach at ejection. I'll go back to C5-3.

Made an awesome exhaust trail from the ground camera...

Hey, where are you launching at? My nephew has yet to launch on Oahu as they say the winds are an issue.

Literally, no. But figuratively as it was stated, yes. He meant they’re fast. Or at least that’s how I took it.

a lot of 18mm Estes rockets were never designed for composite propellant. But that doesn’t mean I’m not gunna have fun sticking the motors in there and seeing what happens! :)

I got to experience what may be an instance of this last weekend. Took an Estes Interceptor, put a D20-6 in it, launched it. It was really moving off the pad, but it kind of squiggled side to side as if it was being pushed too fast. The RSO thought it might be too much power/too fast for that rocket. An D16-6 gives some veering, but nothing like that D20 did. A Estes C5-3 gives much straight launches, at the cost of not going very high.

An interesting thing about the D21-4 is the virtual lack of exhaust compared to the D16-4.

I'd like to get my hands on some of those D21s or the D10s, but am having trouble finding them.

Any ideas of who has some in stock?

I am just givin you hard time.

It’s my understanding that the SU D10s and D21s are OOP. Apparently there are still some “in the wild”, however.

Can anyone tell me who might have either the D10 or the D21 out of production single use Aerotech 18mm motors in stock?

Take note that the D10s at Sirius are plugged motors, no ejection charge.

I've got a few D10s and D21s that I may not be using anytime soon, but the only way I'd be able to sell them would be face to face.

Yes, I suspect that's what I'll end up having to do.

Having sort of chubby fingers, I wasn't looking forward to assembling / cleaning the smallest reload case available, but I like a challenge...
I also do reloads and they work great!! Have two 18/20 and one 24/40. No issues.

The problem with reloads is if you lose the rocket, you've lost an expensive case.
The Q-jets are nowhere close to 20 N-s, the D10 and D21 were close.

The problem with reloads is if you lose the rocket, you've lost an expensive case.
The Q-jets are nowhere close to 20 N-s, the D10 and D21 were close.

Agree! To much farting around loading them up also, then you launch it and then what. Waste some launch time cleaning it up, reload it launch again, repeat, repeat, unless you want to buy a bunch of cases. Then when you get home clean them up good. That size makes no sense to me. Hopefully Quest/ Aerotech could make some Q-Jets with a little less "Umph", longer burning and maybe closer to full D's then what they are now.

Back