Just ordered a Scout tonight!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ereinert

Reaction score
I just ordered a Scout from semroc.com. Thank you mwtoelle for pointing me in the right direction. I had one of these back in the early 80's and just loved it. I was bummed to find out that Estes had discontinued this ride but mwtoelle pointed me to a company still selling it. Cant wait till it gets here. I'm going to paint it with it's original colors. I will post pictures here. Awesome!
Here is a link to the Scout to anyone who has an intrest in this rocket: https://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-4

Last edited:
I just ordered a Scout from semroc.com. Thank you mwtoelle for pointing me in the right direction. I had one of these back in the early 80's and just loved it. I was bummed to find out that Estes had discontinued this ride but mwtoelle pointed me to a company still selling it. Cant wait till it gets here. I'm going to paint it with it's original colors. I will post pictures here. Awesome!
Here is a link to the Scout to anyone who has an intrest in this rocket: https://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-4

What ELSE did you order? When it comes to Semroc, no one can order just one.:cool:

Years ago, a friend left me a box full of Estes and Centuri kits including a few Scouts and quite a few parts. I love the Scout too!

I ordered my Scout tonight! It's a "must have" for me. Also picked up a BT-55 body tube so I can put some old Estes parts to use to make a generic sport rocket.

Last edited:
I ordered my Scout tonight! It's a "must have" for me. Also picked up a BT-55 body tube so I can put some old Estes parts to use to make a generic sport rocket.

Awesome bud! I'm checking my mail box everyday anticipating it's arrival.. lol

Sherry from Semroc sent me one with an order 2 years ago free of charge.I flew it one time and it now sits on my train display.The gold paint really helps spotting it in the sky.Had 4 spotters to keep watch for the sparkle in the sky.:)

Sherry from Semroc sent me one with an order 2 years ago free of charge.I flew it one time and it now sits on my train display.The gold paint really helps spotting it in the sky.Had 4 spotters to keep watch for the sparkle in the sky.:)
I think I'm going to have to go with the classic scheme myself. My first ever Scout never made it past construction phase. It was my first ever rocket and I was too young to try and build it without help and my Dad was not the model building type. I made a mess of it. The second one I owned and actually flew was yellow and red. I still don't know what happened to it, I didn't lose it flying but it got lost somewhere.

I got my Scout today from Semroc and it was the nostalgia of this rocket and the time in my life when I built this and had it in my collection that inspired me to buy it again. With that being said, here are the pro's and con's to this kit.

Pro's: Same style, Size, Shape of nose cone, engine hook, fin style, and the fins are extra thick balsa, all look real good!
Con's: Three holes in the body tube as opposed to one as the original had, No mesh gauze to strap down engine hook, instead this kit includes a strip of Tyvec.

I will be filling in two of the holes on the body tube and sanding it smooth and with some luck I can completely hide the two holes. I'm not sure why they would add three holes to this kit. My thinking is that people who order the scout order it because they had one when they were a kid and it was probably one of the rockets that introduced them to this hobby and they want to add another to there collection. So why change the look? Not a major deal. I will be painting this the original colors and it's gonna look great in my collection. I just wanted to give a heads up for those who may order this kit for the same reasons as I did.

scout kit.jpg

I knew about the Tyvec instead of gauze but I wonder why in the world they went with three holes. By my recollection, the hole is just there to vent the ejection charge. Sure would be interested to know what their reasoning was.

Ummmm...this is getting interesting. I remember the Scout with only one vent hole and obviously you remember it that way as well but poking around on the internet, I have found pictures of an early one with three holes.

Ummmm...this is getting interesting. I remember the Scout with only one vent hole and obviously you remember it that way as well but poking around on the internet, I have found pictures of an early one with three holes.

Hey Mike, I was totally unaware of a three holed scout but maybe i'm wrong. When I had mine it was early 80's and definitely only had one hole. Thats the look i'm after as thats the one I remember. I included a link to vintage Estes catalogs and if you look at the early 80's models they had one hole. Maybe later they started with the three holes.
https://www.estesrockets.com/customer-service/full-catalog/ I still think it's a great model and I will be able to make it look the way I remember it but was just wondering why they did that but maybe you explained it. I was totaly unaware of a three holed Scout. Thanks bud!

I just went thru the Estes catalog for the early years. Seems they quit making the original Scout in 1985 and it had one hole. in 1986 they put out the Scout 2 and judging by the picture in there catalog it seems to only have one hole also. They made the Scout 2 until 1998 and stopped production of it. Then they brought out a Scout 3 in 1990 and again by the looks of the picture in the catalog it seems to have only one hole. The images you seen on the internet, did they have a date? Was they Estes models? you got me curious now..

The early Scouts had three holes.

Here's a link to the 1963 catalogue page (from the Ninfinger site):
https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes63/63est6.html

Also, if you go to the JimZ plan page there is a nice Peter Always drawing.

Oh ok awesome! Thats just alot earlier then what I had. So the very first models of the scout did have three holes. They must have cut down to one hole in the early 80's which is the model that I had. Nice find atticus! I'm still gonna fill in the other two holes because thats the model and time i'm after. But an awesome trip thru history.. Cool!

ok, just went thru the catalogs. Heres the scoop! In 1963 they came out with the Scout and indeed it had three holes, in 1964 it went to one hole and continued with one hole for the rest of its production.

Last edited:
The additional holes are there to help vent the more energetic ejection charges that are in today's Estes motors and keep the motors from kicking out. The ejection charge of a ½A6-2 actually broke the motor hook loose on my 1984 vintage Scout.

I just got mine today! Had to chase the mail lady up my long rural driveway and then found out she had stuck it in the car!! I would have been mad if I'd had to go to the post office to pick it up. I also ordered a BT-55 body tube that I'm using with some parts I had lying around to build my " Mystery" rocket. That's actually first in the build queue, then the Scout and then the Vagabond I already had waiting.

BTW, here's the link to a PDF from Semroc that talks about the Scout and has an early picture of a three hole model. https://www.semroc.com/Documents/pdf/RedScout.pdf I really like the white one with the black decal. Wish I could get that decal or a good enough copy of the graphics to print my own. I would love to faithfully duplicate that rocket in the picture! Very simple clean lines.

BTW, here's the link to a PDF from Semroc that talks about the Scout and has an early picture of a three hole model. https://www.semroc.com/Documents/pdf/RedScout.pdf I really like the white one with the black decal. Wish I could get that decal or a good enough copy of the graphics to print my own. I would love to faithfully duplicate that rocket in the picture! Very simple clean lines.

Nice find Mike! I like the look of that white scout also! I bet Sticker shock could make them decals for you..
https://www.stickershock23.com/index_TPIC.php I might look into that and let you know.

I got my Scout today from Semroc and it was the nostalgia of this rocket and the time in my life when I built this and had it in my collection that inspired me to buy it again. With that being said, here are the pro's and con's to this kit.

Pro's: Same style, Size, Shape of nose cone, engine hook, fin style, and the fins are extra thick balsa, all look real good!
Con's: Three holes in the body tube as opposed to one as the original had, No mesh gauze to strap down engine hook, instead this kit includes a strip of Tyvec.

I will be filling in two of the holes on the body tube and sanding it smooth and with some luck I can completely hide the two holes. I'm not sure why they would add three holes to this kit. My thinking is that people who order the scout order it because they had one when they were a kid and it was probably one of the rockets that introduced them to this hobby and they want to add another to there collection. So why change the look? Not a major deal. I will be painting this the original colors and it's gonna look great in my collection. I just wanted to give a heads up for those who may order this kit for the same reasons as I did.

View attachment 139121

Ordered my Scout in early 60's, don't remember if it had 1 or 3 eject holes. I remember trying to put that gauze on, it was a mess. The scout I ordered was delivered in a shipping tube. A while back I tried to replicate that Scout in a tube.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 62

View attachment 139121

The original Scout had three holes. They switched to one well before I got my Scout in 1968, but I would definitely keep three, even if you feel it is more nostalgic for you, due to today's stronger ejection charges. Also, if you got your Scout kit during the 80's, you should notice that the fins are more swept back than the one you probably had. That is just a consequence of the angle of the cut becoming shallower sometime in the 70's. I bought someone's collection of old rockets and he had two Scouts that he built in '81 that had more "spread out" fins.

Also, I would NOT fly the Scout with a 1/2A6-2. It NEEDS a four second delay for proper flight. To do this, get an empty 18mm casing (knock the clay nozzle and other debris out if it has them), and mount a 1/2A3-4T mini motor in that, then use that as your motor (or you can use one of the new plastic Estes mini-motor adapters -- I've used both).

The original Scout had three holes. They switched to one well before I got my Scout in 1968, but I would definitely keep three, even if you feel it is more nostalgic for you, due to today's stronger ejection charges. Also, if you got your Scout kit during the 80's, you should notice that the fins are more swept back than the one you probably had. That is just a consequence of the angle of the cut becoming shallower sometime in the 70's. I bought someone's collection of old rockets and he had two Scouts that he built in '81 that had more "spread out" fins.

Also, I would NOT fly the Scout with a 1/2A6-2. It NEEDS a four second delay for proper flight. To do this, get an empty 18mm casing (knock the clay nozzle and other debris out if it has them), and mount a 1/2A3-4T mini motor in that, then use that as your motor (or you can use one of the new plastic Estes mini-motor adapters -- I've used both).

I'm not going to fly this Scout. I'm building it strictly for my collection.
@JohnNGA: Thats awesome bud! Thats the original kit, It came in the mailing tube..Wow! Haven't seen that in years! Thanks for sharing..

@JohnNGA: Thats awesome bud! Thats the original kit, It came in the mailing tube..Wow! Haven't seen that in years! Thanks for sharin andg..

Wish it was an original, I rolled the tubes and turned the nc, gauze from the first aid kit. When I was putting it together couldn't help but think how Vern and Gleda made the parts and mailed out those shipping tubes from their home. Humble beginnings.

Last edited:
Wish it was an original, I rolled the tubes and turned the nc, gauze from the first aid kit. When I was putting it together couldn't help but think how Vern and Gleda make the parts and mailed out those shipping tubes from their home. Humble beginnings.

How cool is that! Awesome! Looked just like the original.. Good job.

I didn't realize you weren't going to fly yours but I can certainly respect and understand the thinking. I'm definitely going to launch mine but if it survives a few flights without getting lost or broken, the I'll probably "retire" it.
John, that's really cool that you replicated all that. I don't remember them in the tubes. My first one came in a bag. I was six or seven years old so that would put it circa 1968 or 69.

I didn't realize you weren't going to fly yours but I can certainly respect and understand the thinking. I'm definitely going to launch mine but if it survives a few flights without getting lost or broken, the I'll probably "retire" it.
John, that's really cool that you replicated all that. I don't remember them in the tubes. My first one came in a bag. I was six or seven years old so that would put it circa 1968 or 69.

Thanks, When you launch your Scout be sure to have a bunch of 'eyes' watching. Scouts have a way of disappearing.

I want to get at least one flight where the Scout actually tumbles, rather than ejecting the motor and streamlining in. :y: The Scout is a difficult rocket to follow on the way up. :eyepop:

Back