Jazz, anyone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliveroonie

Reaction score
I just recently purchased Sonny Rollins' seminal album, Saxophone Colossus, and was really blown away by the solos. It's a great mix of tunes, including a wonderful rendition of "You Don't Know What Love Is."

Listening to it right now. Great rocket building music. Keeps my mind focused and clear.

I go through phases where I'll listen to jazz for a while. I'm not much into vocalists or big band...I stick to the small combos that play either standards or be-bop. IMHO, if you're looking to expand your jazz collection, you can't go wrong with anything off the Blue Note label. Sirius satellite radio has 3 or 4 jazz channels too.

I have recordings of Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, and John Pizzarelli, but for the most part, I avoid vocal jazz, too.

I have a big love for Duke Ellington's work, both early and late, so I do have a large collection of his big band stuff. Currently, I am working on expanding my collection of bop and post-bop: Charlie Parker, Oscar Peterson, Ahmad Jamal, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, and the like.

I also have been listening to a lot of Elliott Carter, David Tudor, and Gyorgy Ligeti this summer, so not all my listening has been jazz.

I still love listening to the Parker's famous break in Night in Tunisia. Everyone was so stoked after the solo that the recording session crashed to a halt.

Wow. A jazz thread that's really about real jazz!

Don't know why, but I didn't really expect that...

The famous recording of Night in Tunisia that I have is with Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker, live at "The Legendary Town Hall Concert, New York City 1945".
It's actually a difficult piece for students, as it moves from straight to swing and back, so it's hard to get a good feel for the piece without sounding rigid.

Which recording session are you referring to? Can you provide recording date or album name? Thanks.

I still love listening to the Parker's famous break in Night in Tunisia. Everyone was so stoked after the solo that the recording session crashed to a halt.

I just went to YouTube and searched for "Night in Tunisia." Holy cow there are a lot of jazz videos on that website! There are multiple renditions of the song as well. Overall, it's neat to check out some of the music you all are mentioning.

Jazz puts me in a house cleaning mode. I open the windows, crank up the stereo, and that snappy beat just gets me moving. Before I know it, the place is shining. LOL.

I just went to YouTube and searched for "Night in Tunisia." Holy cow there are a lot of jazz videos on that website! There are multiple renditions of the song as well. Overall, it's neat to check out some of the music you all are mentioning.

Jazz puts me in a house cleaning mode. I open the windows, crank up the stereo, and that snappy beat just gets me moving. Before I know it, the place is shining. LOL.

Dang! Your hired!:lol: Wife wants to know if you do windows too!

Jack

Back