IT WORKED !!...retainer removal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
We had our HP launch yesterday ,and there were a few ...well...you know :facepalm:

Anyway ,there was a thread here some time ago about saving and removing AeroPack retainers after a rocket dies.

My brother`s PML Matrix finally bit the big one ,so while unpacking and cleaning up the fleet ,he mentioned he was tossing his rocket ,saving the nosecone (he, like me,always uses machine screws to fasten the NC to bulkhead sections instead of epoxy etc),chute and Nomex.

I told him about the forum thread and we used my heat gun,on full blast.

IT WORKED.......came off nice and smooth ,ran a wire brush in the little threads ,good as new !

So there you go ,no need to throw out those expensive retainers.

Next time you attend a big launch ,check out the garbage pile ,you might score a few......but shhhhhhhhhh.......keep it a secret :wink:

Cheers

Paul T

a field expedient alternative is a butane micro-torch (doubles in a pinch as a lighter), takes about 5-15 seconds :).
Rex

I have a few rockets with the AP retainers and now knowing what you shared I just need to invest in a heat gun ....

So how long does it take to remove them with the heat gun??

It only took about 20 seconds ,then removed using pliers and a twist.

Paul T

What adhesive was used to affix the AP retainer? Epoxy, JB Weld, something else?

I've saved three Aeropack retainers that way, all mounted with JB Weld. I use a Monokote heat gun. Rather remarkably, it didn't appear to damage the motor tube (not that I really cared at that point).

David

Back