IGY+50 Proposal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Please look this over. Tell me what you think. This is a draft, so if there's something that needs changed, no problem. As such, please don't pass it around as yet. That'll come later when the folks I trust (that's you, that's why I'm posting it here) think it's ready to go. Reply here, or PM me here, or email me at [email protected]. Again, please don't pass this around yet. Thanks.

=============

To: The Amateur Rocketry Community

Re: IGY + 50: Science with Rockets

This is an open letter to every person and group involved in amateur rocketry, from model rockets through experimental behemoths.

July 2007 through December 2008 will be the 50th anniversary of the International Geophysical Year (IGY). During IGY many worldwide projects were undertaken, for the purpose of scientifically exploring the Earth, atmosphere and space. IGY was the impetus for the International Council of Scientific Unions and the US government to call for the launching of the first satellites. The benefits to science were many. The benefits to society were not insignificant, beyond the development of applications from any results obtained. Recall, this was during the Cold War. Scientists proved that despite their nations’ differences, they could collaborate on science.

There is presently a proposal set forward by Paul Verhage, on the Edge Of Space Sciences web site, as well as forwarded to a few relevant journals, magazines and groups, for amateurs to celebrate the 50th anniversary of IGY by initiating their own scientific programs to carry out during the 18 month IGY anniversary period. Please read the proposal itself at:
https://www.eoss.org/igy.htm

You’ll note prominent mention of balloons, and very little about rockets. Edge of Space Sciences is not a rocketry group. It is primarily high altitude balloon flyers and ham radio operators. Read up on EOSS at their web site at: https://www.eoss.org .

The fact is they do mention calling on rocketry to participate. This letter is an effort to make that call heard.

Despite the value placed on rocketry R&D projects, formal or informal, the fact is that most of them are self-serving. They examine facets of rocketry with the intention of improving rocketry. Even “experimental rocketry” is often not much more than building motors and rockets only to see if it can be done successfully. This is not a criticism of such efforts; this work needs done in order to advance our technology. Furthermore, much of rocketry is simply rocketry for its own sake – hobby, sport, call it what you will.

I ask you to consider for a moment, what can be done using rockets to gather knowledge of interest to others? Launching an egg and getting it back unbroken, or launching a bowling ball and getting the rocket back unbroken, these are challenging, but are they useful? What scientific payloads can be devised and launched, the results of which could be shared with others, that would examine something other than the vehicle carrying it? There have been many such prior efforts, but far fewer than there could be.

I also ask you to consider some practicalities. While IGY did show there could be scientific collaboration despite national differences, there would have been no support for these efforts if doing so were not politically profitable to those scientists’ nations. Much of rocketry is now embroiled in controversy with the US government regarding our use of “explosives”. We are fighting for our right to practice our hobby. This is perhaps an overlooked point because we are looking at it with our own assumptions. From another viewpoint, we are fighting for our right to practice our “HOBBY”. It is hard to justify the existence of something undertaken for its own sake by no more than a few thousand people in comparison with the dangers (real or perceived) considered significant by people who are tasked by the public trust to protect us from those dangers. Public support in the last few years has tended towards more security over more freedom of action. We may disagree with this in principle, but we must accept it as the reality of our situation if our hobby is to successfully survive and counter it.

I suggest that an organized effort of scientific exploration involving as many groups and individuals are possible could serve as a central argument as to why we should be allowed to continue to practice rocketry with as little regulation as is reasonable. The mere existence of such an effort would not be enough. Rather, a widespread commitment to it, an active effort at organization for it, and most of all widespread public outreach and public relations efforts is called for. If we are seen as valuable contributing members of the scientific community in terms of practicing science as well as providing opportunities for others to join and do so, we can present ourselves are more than a hobby. Instead, we can present ourselves as amateurs in the sense of differing from professionals only in whether we this is our primary life’s avocation. We can be amateurs in the sense of Von Braun, Goddard and the Wright brothers. Lest the point be lost, they all started as amateurs. They did not remain amateurs.

As yet, IGY+50 is only an idea. It has been proposed to see whether there is sufficient interest to put more work into actually organizing it. I feel that it is a worthy effort in and of itself and suggest all in the rocketry community consider supporting it by devising and flying a scientific payload during this time, and participating in this organized effort to publicize the fact as well as accumulate the data produced. I further feel that in our doing so we may have an unparalleled chance to re-create our image in our own eyes, the eyes of the public, and especially in the eyes of governments. Doing this could serve to ameliorate our present regulatory problems and guarantee our continued freedom to fly. I would not suggest this as the primary reason to participate, but to be realistic nor would I suggest that this possibility be ignored. I feel the two points to be inextricably linked, in that by undertaking such a program we earn our right to continue to do so in the future, and that requires our freedom to continue to fly.

Think on what you can fly in terms of a scientific payload. It need not be a spectacular bit of science, only something that can test a hypothesis or concept, the results of which can then be forwarded to whatever organization exists to support it. It need not take high power, speed or altitude to accomplish; the very air around us is an undeniably important factor in our lives and simple science examining it can produce useful and meaningful results. And even if it doesn’t, undertaking science for whatever reason provides the opportunity for others to do so, making rocketry more attractive and valuable to others, as an effort supporting the worldwide scientific community as well as a place that scientists of the future can start to learn to practice their craft. I was a scientist of the future at one time, and rocketry was where I started to learn to practice my craft. I know I’m not alone in this.

Please consider this all: discuss, argue, brainstorm, argue some more, take things out, put things in, and most of all, spread this around, either as presented here or in whatever form you feel will help result in a positive outcome. IGY+50 is a noble effort in and of itself, and even if nothing else results from our participation, it is very worthy of our contributions. If more than good science comes of it, so much more the benefits to us.

If you support being part of IGY+50, please email Paul Verhage from the link provided on the IGY+50 web page. If you belong to a group or club, please see if they as a group would consider doing so, and if so, notify him of that group’s interest. If your group expresses interest, please share that fact with others and urge them to consider participating individually, or as a group, whether part of yours or their own. Finally, if you consider this worthy, urge any national or international groups to which you belong or support to consider their participation.

Oh yeah...

I think this would be a hellluva quest for the ARSA.

Here is one idea ~

We essentially send up sounding rockets. If we could create a standardized small payload that would gather a small amount of atmospheric data, something like the Expendable Bathythermographs or the the old Radiosonde that we could fire away, and on recovery, mail back to a central analysis repository for download. The thousands of these we launch would, IMHO, take a heck of a snapshot of lower atmospheric conditions.

A

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Oh yeah...

I think this would be a hellluva quest for the ARSA.

Speaking of, is ARSA slow to respond to email?
I sent my application and some other stuff over a week ago and haven't heard from them.

Slow, no...

Glacial, yes

I could not find my member number for a letter I wanted to write and have sent 3 e-mails over the past four months. Thankfully it is free.

A

Slow, no...

Glacial, yes

I could not find my member number for a letter I wanted to write and have sent 3 e-mails over the past four months. Thankfully it is free.

A

How'd NERRF manage to get ARSA affiliated?
Go visit in person?

I assume John Wickham is still running WSPC. Maybe I'll call him there.

Here is one idea ~

We essentially send up sounding rockets. If we could create a standardized small payload that would gather a small amount of atmospheric data, something like the Expendable Bathythermographs or the the old Radiosonde that we could fire away, and on recovery, mail back to a central analysis repository for download. The thousands of these we launch would, IMHO, take a heck of a snapshot of lower atmospheric conditions.

A

You mean like this?

https://www.vaisala.com/page.asp?Section=24969

Bob Krech

A practical experiment which could invovle a wide audience might be a falling sphere campaign. Materials required would be an alimeter, a ping pong ball (the falling sphere), and a rocket capable of flying safely with a wide variety of engines (say A-D?).

You could fly four sounding flights and time the fall time of the sphere. Knowing the altitude, fall time, and assuming the sphere reaches terminal velocity quickly, you could estimate the layer density. Throw in a surface temp and pressure and you could back out a few more parameters. Once you have the lowest layers, you can take those out of the higher flights to come up with an atmospheric density profile.

Could involve middle schools through high school and be a valuable way to each about atmospheric structure.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. I like the idea. So basically a sounding rocket with a scientific payload?

I have a 38mm (G-J) rocket that is waiting to be finished with a useful purpose.

I also have a 24mm (D-G) rocket with a perfect spot for a pingpong ball. Just shove in maybe a GPS ($$$) and a small recording altimeter and there you go. You can calculate wind at each level (6000ft max)

I'm interested.

Originally posted by bobkrech
You mean like this?

https://www.vaisala.com/page.asp?Section=24969

Bob Krech

Yup

Something like that. The only thing is those have DOD pricing written all over them.

But yeah if we could get them at a low enough price so that each club throughout the year could put one airborne at each launch, it might be a rather interesting data set. Of course I'm not an atmospheric scientist so...

A

Sparse uncoordinated measurements don't seem like they's be of much value for a long term study, but I'm also not an atmospheric scientist.

I shouldn't confuse meaningful reasearch from a professional sense with simpler studies whose purpose is to instruct.

We essentially send up sounding rockets. If we could create a standardized small payload...

I like the premise of <a href="https://www.arliss.org/info.html">ARLISS CanSats</a> and
<a href="https://www.jpaerospace.com/pongsat/index.htm">JP Aerospace PongSats</a>

One other thought,

If you read the data sheet, it specifies a G80 motor. Well we just can't have that can we?

Quick Igor, hand me the epoxy, lead shot, and a H165R

The only thing is those have DOD pricing written all over them.

As I recall, these Vaisala sondes were marketed toward the Navy for radar propagation predictions and the Army for arty met (wind profiles) and battlefield obscurant prediction.

I don't believe they were meant to be recovered afterward, but I don't think there's any reason they couldn't be reused. The National Weather Service used to offer a bounty for the return of their radiosonde instrument packages but now only ask that you drop them in the mail. Anyone out there ever found one?

You can go the White Sands and Wallops Island webstes to see how sounding rockets were used in 1957, and what altitude they flew to. Modrocs and HPR can't come close. The problem that I see in using model or HP rocketry is that any afordable "experimental" program would be of little scientific use.

Vaisala manufactures many of the hundreds of radiosondes used in the US daily. Weather baloons routinely go to 100 kft, and provide data on the way up and the way down at very low cost. They are equipped with digital data links and GPS so that radar tracking is no longer required. They routinely obtain PTU profiles and can be configured to measure ozone and other atmospheric pollutants. Rocketry can't compete on a cost basis with baloons.

What might be an potentially useful application would be a year long photographic monitoring of environmental sensitive areas or construction projects. This would require daily or weekly launches of a video rocket to document changes in the site. This could also be used in study of photochemical smog which occur in urban environments in the summer, however this would require hourly (or more frequent) launches to track visibility. The RC aircraft community could also do this as well.

Another opportuinty is education. Scale model launches of the relevant sounding rockets that we orignially flown in 1957 would be of eduational interest, particularly, if accompanied by a report on how the rockets we originally used.

Bob Krech

Originally posted by bobkrech
You can go the White Sands and Wallops Island webstes to see how sounding rockets were used in 1957, and what altitude they flew to. Modrocs and HPR can't come close. The problem that I see in using model or HP rocketry is that any afordable "experimental" program would be of little scientific use.

15 year old electrophysiology equipment measuring nothing but heart rate and reaction time doesn't seem like like it'd be of much scientific use either, particularly in the hands of 13 undergraduates in a single credit lab course, and one grad student. But they managed to show that bright light causes ADD symptoms to get worse.

From my vita:
Richardson, E., Concannon, M., Daroy, M., Harrington, J., Hope, K., Pappert, C., Petrazzuolo, E., Randle, T., Raybuck, S., Thomas, R., Vraneza, M., Walls, M., Williams, A. & McClain-Furmanski, D. (October, 2001). "Effects of Room Lighting on Reaction Time and Heart Rate in Adults With and Without ADD". Presented at Society for Psychophysiological Research, Montreal, QE.

What they did was find the first scientific support for the informal observation shared by many teachers, "when the kids on Ritalin get too wound up, shut off the lights and open the shades".

BTW, they presented it, I didn't. I just ran the lab and the course, and gave them the suggestion for the hypothesis from another grad student, himself having ADD. They also presented it at the first inter-departmenal collquium ever organized by undergraduates at Virginia Tech, and so impressed the human factors and the interior design people that both initiated lines of research based on it in their departments.

So as not to merely blow my own horn, I also recall that CEBAF (now the Jefferson accelerator) came in something like 50% under budget by using 90% surplus equipment. Surplus in high energy physics typically meaning outdated, outmoded, and thrown away by someone else.

"Useful science" is what you make it.

'"Can't" never did anything.' -- Pat Gordzelik

Originally posted by DumasBro2
"Get your ticket to that wheel in space while there's time......"

I was waiting for someone to quote Donald Fagen!!

Drew Tomko

Originally posted by dtomko
I was waiting for someone to quote Donald Fagen!!

Drew Tomko

I favor Paul Kantner:

"Please tell me Mr. Sagan, Are we ever gonna get out of this planet alive?"

Back