Lehigh Valley PA Rocketeers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev1833

Reaction score
I’m looking to open a dialog among model rocket enthusiasts in the Lehigh Valley area. This might range from starting a local discussion group, to meet-ups, to even reconstituting a LV rocketry club. If you are interested in starting a conversation, please chime in with your thoughts.

I teach at the Northampton Community College Fab Lab, one of the largest public maker spaces in the country. We have thousands of square feet of workshops and collaboration spaces, and could arrange to be a locus for organizing, meeting, running group projects, holding specialized classes, and other rocketry-related activities.

If you’re not familiar with the Fab Lab, we run hundreds of (mostly short) manufacturing process and design classes a year, from simple crafts to career building. Our facilities include wood and metal working, plastics, electronics, laser cutting/engraving, 3d printing, commercial graphics, textiles, plus a walk-in spray booth. Classes are open to anyone and are generally at night, so the facility is open for public use during the day (for very modest fees). See https://northampton.edu/fablab for more info.

But I’m not here to sell anyone on the lab, only to offer a home base or focal point for furthering communication among local rocketeers. So please send ideas this way and we’ll see if we can get the ball rolling.

Thanks for your attention!

— Kevin

I’m looking to open a dialog among model rocket enthusiasts in the Lehigh Valley area. This might range from starting a local discussion group, to meet-ups, to even reconstituting a LV rocketry club. If you are interested in starting a conversation, please chime in with your thoughts.

I teach at the Northampton Community College Fab Lab, one of the largest public maker spaces in the country. We have thousands of square feet of workshops and collaboration spaces, and could arrange to be a locus for organizing, meeting, running group projects, holding specialized classes, and other rocketry-related activities.

If you’re not familiar with the Fab Lab, we run hundreds of (mostly short) manufacturing process and design classes a year, from simple crafts to career building. Our facilities include wood and metal working, plastics, electronics, laser cutting/engraving, 3d printing, commercial graphics, textiles, plus a walk-in spray booth. Classes are open to anyone and are generally at night, so the facility is open for public use during the day (for very modest fees). See https://northampton.edu/fablab for more info.

But I’m not here to sell anyone on the lab, only to offer a home base or focal point for furthering communication among local rocketeers. So please send ideas this way and we’ll see if we can get the ball rolling.

— Kevin
Hello Kevin,my name's George and I'm in NorthEastern Pa, Scranton/ Wilkes -Barre area to be specific.I was wondering what city you live in and where you fly in your area because there's no suitable flying space left up here and being with out transportation makes things difficult.

I teach at the Northampton Community College Fab Lab, one of the largest public maker spaces in the country... [W]e run hundreds of (mostly short) manufacturing process and design classes a year, from simple crafts to career building. Our facilities include wood and metal working, plastics, electronics, laser cutting/engraving, 3d printing, commercial graphics, textiles, plus a walk-in spray booth. Classes are open to anyone and are generally at night, so the facility is open for public use during the day (for very modest fees)...

So please send ideas this way...
My idea is that I wish I lived a lot closer!

Hello Kevin,my name's George and I'm in NorthEastern Pa, Scranton/ Wilkes -Barre area to be specific.I was wondering what city you live in and where you fly in your area because there's no suitable flying space left up here and being with out transportation makes things difficult.
I'm in Bethlehem. We don't have any great places to fly here...yet. That's why I'm trying to get people together, so we can identify potential areas and at least get dispensations for organized group activities. There's so much good acreage here that there has to be solutions.

I just moved from Orefield last year, most of the parks are good for small stuff, but I as well drove to MDRA for the bigger stuff

You should check out SPAAR. They have several launch locations, closest one to you is a little over a hour drive away.

You should check out SPAAR. They have several launch locations, closest one to you is a little over a hour drive away.
I checked out both PARA and SPAAR and they might be viable options except for the fact that I don't drive,so finding someone from my area who goes there regularly might be difficult.I would appreciate any suggestions anyone would have.It's been over forty years since I last flew anything, mainly because the only site I had was used to build a new junior high school.i'm strictly low power, can't afford anything bigger.

Check out PARA. They fly up near Quakertown. That's really the only club around here currently. For the big stuff, MDRA is about a 2-hour drive.
Well I would if I could but seeing as how I don't drive it would be difficult at best.I'm not sure there's anyone here who are still active who might be NAR members.I reached out to them and a gentleman from Allentown was good enough to give me a ride up to the URRF launch last year but since then I haven't heard from anyone else.I did meet someone from my area but since then I lost his number.

— Kevin
Hello Kevin, i've spent most of the last four decades looking for a suitable flying site here and have come up empty at every turn so i can sympathize with your situation.Pennsylvania,especially the eastern section, has never been well suited to rocketry at every level.And as far as I know I'm only one of a handful of active fliers In my particular area in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area.There"s just not enough of us to put together any kind of meaningful organization.I think we could

Hello Kevin, i've spent most of the last four decades looking for a suitable flying site here and have come up empty at every turn so i can sympathize with your situation.Pennsylvania,especially the eastern section, has never been well suited to rocketry at every level.And as far as I know I'm only one of a handful of active fliers In my particular area in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area.There"s just not enough of us to put together any kind of meaningful organization.I think we could
I think we could have a good discussion about this so here's my contact information:. George Skaff. 101North Main st. Pittston, Pa. 18640. 570 -921- 1285

Back