Hybrid motors and NAR rules

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Are hybrid motors (solid propellant w/ liquid oxidizer) kosher at NAR launches provided that the motors are certified. I'm interested in hybrids because most of them are hazmat exempt; I live in Alaska and shipping non-exempt motors up here is expensive.

Shawn C.

Hi All,

Are hybrid motors (solid propellant w/ liquid oxidizer) kosher at NAR launches provided that the motors are certified. I'm interested in hybrids because most of them are hazmat exempt; I live in Alaska and shipping non-exempt motors up here is expensive.

Shawn C.
Yes, NAR allows certified hybrid motors at their events.

FYI, you need an HPR cert for any hybrid, last time I looked. Is nox easily available to you? I haven’t flown hybrids in a while but it was always a hassle finding a speed shop that stocked it.

Check the NAR list of approved certified motors on their website at https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/CombinedMotorsByImpulse.pdf
You will see several hybrid motor vendors in the list, e.g., Contrail, SkyRipper and RattWorks.
The hybrid motors on the list I saw were all certified by Tripoli. I realize that NAR has traditionally recognized TRA and CAR certifications for solid motors but I wasn't completely sure if the same rule applied to hybrids or if there was some gray area. So I thought it would be safer to just ask.

Thanks for sharing the list, btw. I found it a bit easier to read than the one in the magazine.

The hybrid motors on the list I saw were all certified by Tripoli. I realize that NAR has traditionally recognized TRA and CAR certifications for solid motors but I wasn't completely sure if the same rule applied to hybrids or if there was some gray area. So I thought it would be safer to just ask.

Thanks for sharing the list, btw. I found it a bit easier to read than the one in the magazine.
The only remaining ACTIVE manufacturer is Contrail as far as I know. With the other remaining certified motors, you could find the cases for sale here and in other places, but you would find it impossible to get a certified reload. Which as a NAR member, you would need to have a completely certified motor. Certified case and certified reload.
As a Tripoli member, if you were L2 certified, you could machine or print your own reloads and launch at an experimental launch day. Obtaining the correct Bakelite material for the insulators in the L/M motor would be the only tricky bit to making your own reloads.

( If anyone has a reasonably priced source for L/M bakelite insulator material, let me know. I'll pay the postage to Australia and buy you beer when you get here.)

I've got the STL files for L/M reloads for RattWorks somewhere. Broken into bits that fit on a 220mm high printer. Took 4 days to print the full reload the last time I did one in ABS.

Last edited:
Back