HPR Motor Storage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked my HPR motor inventory after the URRF launch last week. I currently have 242 HPR motors ranging from a bunch of 29mm motors up to an O5500.

For longer 38mm and 54mm motors and all motors 75mm and larger, I grain bond them when I receive them and "seal" then ends of the liners with plastic wrap and green frog tape. I label the liners with the motor name, date and which end is for the nozzle or forward closure. I also label the ends.
I am currently building a mobile wood rack for all my motor cases so they can be stored standing vertically to save space and lessen the chance they will get damaged.
I'm still telling people about this o_O Post up a picture of your rack you're building for us when finished. Sounds like I need to buy my motors from you the way you prep and store them. Do you have a CTI M1101 in your inventory?

I'm still telling people about this o_O Post up a picture of your rack you're building for us when finished. Sounds like I need to buy my motors from you the way you prep and store them. Do you have a CTI M1101 in your inventory?

Hey Marty! Unfortunately, like a lot of people, my CTI stock has gotten pretty low. I did order an M1101 in my Black Friday order last Fall, but still haven't gotten anything from CTI. Losing hope I will ever get anything out of that order, but fingers crossed! Let's all hope CTI decides to get back in the HPR game, would be a shame to lose them.

When storing HPR motors in bulk, options include dedicated storage cabinets, ammo boxes or Pelican cases, and flammable storage cabinets. These solutions provide secure and compliant storage, with features such as ventilation, locking mechanisms, and fire-resistant construction. Another option is to designate a dedicated storage area that meets safety requirements.

When storing HPR motors in bulk, options include dedicated storage cabinets, ammo boxes or Pelican cases, and flammable storage cabinets. These solutions provide secure and compliant storage, with features such as ventilation, locking mechanisms, and fire-resistant construction. Another option is to designate a dedicated storage area that meets safety requirements.
I hate to pick nits, but you're facts need checking.

Pelican cases are waterproof, as are many ammo boxes (and the rest are generally water resistant) and therefor have NO ventilation. Some ammo boxes are fire resistant but Pelican cases are not.

Having said all of that, all the above could be good storage containers. I worry most about location (away from heat sources) and security as my first two priorities.

Pelican cases are waterproof, as are many ammo boxes (and the rest are generally water resistant) and therefor have NO ventilation. Some ammo boxes are fire resistant but Pelican cases are not.

Having said all of that, all the above could be good storage containers. I worry most about location (away from heat sources) and security as my first two priorities.

So, you're saying I shouldn't be storing my motors next to my woodstove? ;)

Keeps them warm and dry :)

What is the advantage of bonding the grains early instead of leaving them in the sealed packaging from the manufacturer?

Convenience - I can't think of a functional reason to do it early. The two factors for me are:

1. I like not having to worry about it later - makes it easy when you are prepping for a launch to just grab the liner with the grains bonded in, slap it in the case and close it up. This is true even for grain formulas that don't require liner bonding. Also, my daughter and I enjoy our grain bonding sessions. We line 10+ motors up at a clip and she enjoys helping me out with the whole process, so, for me, it is also some quality father-daughter time :) .
2. For me, it makes storage way easier. The bonded liners stack nicely on my "motor shelves" with end labels so I can see/inventory them quickly. They take up much less space than the boxes the grains come in. All the nozzles/o-rings/other parts fit in a quart ziploc and I have a large bag made for fishing tackle to hold all the quart bags.

The major con to bonding the grains early is that the grains have now been exposed to the air. Even if you seal the liners very well, if you don't have a low humidity space to store them, the grains could absorb a lot of moisture over time. I have a good space to store my bonded liners and I seal them well, so I am comfortable doing the bonding early.

I am only describing what I like to do, but my recommendation would be to leave them in the manufacturers packaging until you need them. Then you can be sure they are "fresh" when you go to use them.

just don't bond with gorilla glue or something similar, it breaks down with age and humidity.
Use epoxy instead.

otherwise, you just might go "boom" when you do light that motor. Ask the O motor at NYPOWER this year, the grains were bonded a year ago with gorilla glue and not stored well. Slow motion video shows it spitting the first two casting tubes, then the third got stuck until the motor let go.

ps the wood stove is a great idea! I'm also a volunteer fireman and that would give us opportunity to meet (only if you're in my neck of the woods)

You can pick up a 15cu ft chest freezer at a scratch and dent store for $125.00 or so. Roughly 60” long x 30” wide x 30” tall, air tight seal, no humidity, throw in a couple desiccant bags, and if your concerned about security you can throw a hasp and padlock on it.

I guess I should clarify that you don’t want to plug it in and turn it on.

Back