How many RG's can I make from a Cosmic Interceptor Kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here she is with some panel lines, hoping to get some flight video early this morning. Stickershock decals on the way.

WP_20160803_18_30_24_Pro.jpgWP_20160803_18_30_34_Pro.jpg

Heres some video from this morning, it was quite windy so the model pushed backward just off the rail but a slight push forward and it was climbing straight up. Behaves very nicely.

[video=youtube;ubggo9iWGaQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubggo9iWGaQ[/video]

Thank you very much! A few folks have commented on the video about not liking the profile ramjets or wishing the chines would go all the way forward, but they both cost CG or weight so I did the best tradeoff I could for looks, performance and weight along with simplicity....i'm pretty happy with how nicely this handled the wind, it doesn't rock at all like my slightly lighter profile version...It'll really pop once I get the vinyl markings from stickershock.

Frank

Last edited:
You all don't think I skipped a day do you?��

We are keeping track...don't disappoint us and miss a day!

Got back from overseas last night. No rocketry or RC RGs today, but ran a seaplane fly in at a local lake and had a great time there until it became too warm to enjoy it. Almost no wind made the heat really stifling about 1 pm.

You are having so much fun with the Interceptor nose cone RC RGs that I might have to whip one up as well. I need to pick out a subject quickly before you do everything there is to possibly do in this style!....;)

Yes, Tom, please build one so I don't have to do any more....

Working on something similar to a Voodoo....

Frank

Last edited:
We are keeping track...don't disappoint us and miss a day!

You are having so much fun with the Interceptor nose cone RC RGs that I might have to whip one up as well. I need to pick out a subject quickly before you do everything there is to possibly do in this style!....;)

Jonny Quest Dragonfly!!!

Richard

image.jpgimage.jpg

Jonny Quest Dragonfly!!!

Richard

I always liked the Dragonfly from Johnny Quest, but they made the vertical tail the size of the needed wings and made the wings the needed size of the vertical tail....:)

We know this will work for Frank...the model from Moibius has a nose that is almost a dead ringer for the Interceptor nose cone...:)

If Frank does not bite on this, I might just take it on...would do some faint tweaks and slightly reduce the vertical tail, slightly increase the wing area, cut the dihedral in half.

Last edited:
Its the nose that got me thinking this was a good candidate. Mount the wing on the bottom of the tube, dihedral to the top of the tube and a big honking air intake underneath to help balance the vertical. Should be doable, after all its a cartoon bird and the artists likely fudged it this way and that anyway.

Richard

Last edited:
So I got some flight tests today with the Voodoo, flies very nicely. It's light, boosts high, and although the glide is faster, it seems to stay in the air fairly long. It needs a lot of down trim on boost, I've got the motor mount dead center with the wing, so it's either the stub T-tail drag, or larger vertical tail causing it to want to pitch toward the spine...in any case, once trimmed it boosts just fine.....just interesting.

Did five flights, all very nice and controllable, CG was spot on. It's 10.5 ounces rtf unpainted so probably right at 11 oz rtf dolled up. I needed no nose balast and only needed two 6" servo extensions so this is about as light as one of these tube based gliders can be.

Just soot inside the body tube cutout at the rear, no burning. I CA'd the inside of the cutout and it wiped right out. I'll paint her up....

Frank

Last edited:
Here is a little build thread photo session of the new voodoo...much more in proportion and I think looks sort of sexy....Here is the body tube assembly, rail buttons and skids installed, coupler and tubes joined. Slotted for the wing and tail and the afterburner cans installed.

WP_20160807_16_48_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_16_53_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_16_55_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_16_55_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_16_58_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_16_58_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_17_17_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_17_32_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_17_32_23_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
More construction photos, motor mount installed, wing glued and spars installed and wing installed in fuse and then rightside control surface attached. I've cut out larger control surfaces since they will act as elevons, the T tail is fixed and small and just for looks. The afterburners are 24mm tubes slit in half and then flatted at the front and glued in place.

WP_20160807_17_34_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_17_34_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_17_49_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_17_52_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_17_52_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_20_55_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_20_55_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_20_57_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_21_32_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20160807_21_37_47_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
T tail installed, Final radio install and painted with vinyl markings I cut by hand and some vinyl lettering from office depot. Flat gray testors with flat black nose, and stainless steel brushed on rear tail section and afterburner cans. 11 oz rtf, 24" wingspan, 38" long. Done in pseudo operation sun-run colors with a little artistic license on top.....for an interceptor based rocket glider, it looks very F-101 Voodoo...

WP_20160807_21_54_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20160808_07_21_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20160808_11_15_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20160808_18_43_23_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the new Voodoo video from this morning.

[video=youtube;_F-5P5oNfKg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F-5P5oNfKg[/video]

Tom, go ahead and run with it.

I've got a new voodoo to maiden

Frank

The Voodoo themed model looks pretty awesome. I always liked that wing planform.

I think I will indeed do the Quest Jet. Pulled it into my cad program and set it as a background bitmap and fooled around with the sizing a little. A 2" diameter fuse makes the model a little small, so might use a bigger tube and modify a different nose cone.

Enough about the Quest Jet in this thread. Will soon crank up a new thread for it.

Frank, you have created a monster here. We now expect a new Interceptor nose based rocket glider once or twice a week. So, where is the next one????

I ran through my stash of extra kits....I've got enough foam for 45 kits and I've got 45 kits, so I'm reserving those for kit production now.....

Hopefully that will help restrain me from making any more and I can get some sleep.....

Frank

The Voodoo themed model looks pretty awesome. I always liked that wing planform.

I think I will indeed do the Quest Jet. Pulled it into my cad program and set it as a background bitmap and fooled around with the sizing a little. A 2" diameter fuse makes the model a little small, so might use a bigger tube and modify a different nose cone.

Enough about the Quest Jet in this thread. Will soon crank up a new thread for it.

Frank, you have created a monster here. We now expect a new Interceptor nose based rocket glider once or twice a week. So, where is the next one????

Found some scrap foam that I could fit into a thunderchief wing......I think it would be better to be addicted to crack at this rate.....

In any case, did a full flying tail install with torque rod/tube through the fuse, and I cut the rear of the body tube to simulate the dive brake petals partially deployed....

Frank

Cool. Maybe one of these in the future? Republic F-105 Thunder Chief.

View attachment 298113

At this rate you will soon empty the warehouse of Cosmic explorer kits!

Attachments

• WP_20160811_12_19_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160811_12_19_03_Pro.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 69
  • WP_20160811_12_19_11_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160811_12_19_11_Pro.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 64
  • WP_20160811_12_19_16_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160811_12_19_16_Pro.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 67
All ready to maiden, minus paint of course...came in at 11.5 ounces...I mounted the servos forward to put them right on the CG location and used some old servo arms glued into the fuse as guides to allow a light thin pushrod to be used. Once painted the pushrods won't be very noticable, and you can only really see them from the bottom. I only needed .5 ounces of nose weight which is pretty good considering the motor is mounted far back and the cg on this wing planform and placement is more forward than some of my other models.

Frank

WP_20160811_14_42_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20160811_14_42_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20160811_14_42_39_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Flight test this morning in dead calm went really well, was just a hair tail heavy, so I fixed that with 1/8 ounce of weight, then had just a slight bit of roll trim needed, it's hard to perfectly align the full flying tail off the bat, and needed just a touch of downtrim for boost, I was easily getting close to a minute glide, I was very surprised as the wing area is smaller than the voodoo I think, but seemed to glide even better, must be due to the extra control surface area I'm not counting...Really looks good in the air with the wing profile. Now to painting this evening.

Here's the video from this morning, really great flights....flew my IronHand where I modified the tail from a t-tail to a phantom style tail, then two perfect flights on the Thunderchief.

[video=youtube;brWcGxzBWtE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brWcGxzBWtE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;bD5r6tQegzM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD5r6tQegzM[/video]

I uncovered a neat older Estes design, the Vindicator, that used the Interceptor nose cone that looks like it will work out great as a RC RG with suitably upscaled wings.

I have all the parts cut out and ready to go together. Raided one of my Cosmic Interceptors for the nose cone, body tubes and motor mount. Going to do some temporary assembly and a couple of test glides to see how much strake I can get away with, plus optimizing the final wing position.

Have also been dabbling at the Quest Jet a little. There will be threads started on both models soon.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Tom, that should work well, you may have to put the wings a bit forward like i do on my interceptor III, I've found if you can place the required wing CG right about where the coupler joint is, it allows you to put the rx about 2" back from the nose cone shoulder and the battery right in the coupler and not have to add much if any nose weight, on some of these it's easy to come out nose heavy if you aren't careful.

Is the F-105 going to be available as a kit? That touches close to home: Paul Douglas from Paragould, Arkansas, flew P-47's in WW2, and F-105's with the 388th TFW in Vietnam.

If I can get two pre-orders I'll do a kit, it will take me a week or so to do templates and instructions/photos. You can contact me at dynasoarrocketry.com if interested and I can send an invoice. I've got one other interested.

Is the F-105 going to be available as a kit? That touches close to home: Paul Douglas from Paragould, Arkansas, flew P-47's in WW2, and F-105's with the 388th TFW in Vietnam.

If I can get two pre-orders I'll do a kit, it will take me a week or so to do templates and instructions/photos. You can contact me at dynasoarrocketry.com if interested and I can send an invoice. I've got one other interested.

Sent you an email. (I'm a go for the F-105.) Could not get "Contacts" working.

Sent you an email. (I'm a go for the F-105.) Could not get "Contacts" working.

NOTE: "Contacts" at Dyanosaor DOES work! Click in the box below where it lists the required info. 99% of people will figure that out........I am the 1% that couldn't.

Back