Honest John Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albanach

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I am going to start an Honest John rocket 6" build. Going to do this in stages to solve a few builds I have not tried yet and for refinements. I am going to start with a 3" sized one for proof and practice to solve the methods. First on the list is to solve the workspace mess and some other projects along the way.MGR1A.JPGIMG_5408.JPG

Found this drawing in a couple of locations. I tend to like the scale replicas for the challenge. My 8"/6" Honest John is about 1/4 scale. I would pose the question: Is it better to stick to the original or modify the design enough to make it flyable at scale? The particular issue is with the nose section needing to be lengthened to allow dual deployment.

mgr1a.JPG

Found this drawing in a couple of locations.
Note that there are three different versions (two with the familiar bulbous nose). That diagram is for the M-31 (larger fins), but there is also the M-50. More information and drawings are available in Fourteen US Army Missiles of the Cold War by Peter Alway.

Note that there are three different versions (two with the familiar bulbous nose). That diagram is for the M-31 (larger fins), but there is also the M-50. More information and drawings are available in Fourteen US Army Missiles of the Cold War by Peter Alw
I had found the A version online and set up for that one, then came across your post for the B and purchased the book. From the book, I looked at the C. I am going to stick with the A. I might also build the B propulsion section and use the nose cone to compare performance. Also from the book, I have been putting the drawings into RS for future projects. I have eliminated 4 of the designs as non-flyable.

Last edited:
I am going to stick with the A.
Yeah, that fin shape is almost as distinctive as the nose.

I'm working on a 3" (54mm MMT) version of the M-50 as it happens. I'm planning to 3D print the fin can so a more compact shape is preferable. (Plus I already built an M-31 long ago from a kit.)

It is kind of mind blowing that 6 years after WW2 there is a field artillary missile capable of delivering a Hiroshima sized atom bomb.

Nice build! Back in the "now it is looking at least usable" post, what is that fiberglass/carbon fiber rocket sitting on the PVC pipe stand? It looks really cool!!

That skull decal looks like the skull on a Der Red Max rocket.

I knew it! Big der red max fan, just had to point it out. I am currently working on a build in which I am making a clone of the normal size estes der red max and covering it with carbon fiber. It will be called the Der Carbon Max and it will have a 29mm motor mount. I will probably fly on an F25. All I have right now is the nose cone, so it's not worth it yet, but when I get more parts I will start to post on a new build thread about it.

Also I didn't mean I'm a fan of the der big red max I meant I'm a big fan of the der red max. Actually don't like the der big red max because all they did is put the bigger one out of production and put into production a slightly smaller one with the same motor mount.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.
In the photo, you have placed it centrally against a frame that is commonly used for making small fruit trees grow flat. The process is called espadrille. A bit like when you have someone in a photo with a tree in the middle of their head.

Back