Hijack Thread on Yardsale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously, is that the method for editing??

Yea big PITA, after a certain time can't edit anything in any thread. Something like they are worried about to many deletions or something like that that no one will then know what is going on in the thread. Big deal, not the end of the world if that would happen. It is much worse this way not being able to edit anything especially in the yard sale section.

Guys, the forum has not it this way on purpose. We have a lot of folks in the past that decide to delete their posts by putting the word delete in the title and delete in the text. That destroys the data and historical aspect of the forum. If I want to know the current selling prices for Adept 22 altimeters, I can look at the forum. It is a great resource.

The first 24 hours, you edit them, after that, a moderator can assist.

SammyD said: said:
Seriously, is that the method for editing??

Yea big PITA, after a certain time can't edit anything in any thread. Something like they are worried about to many deletions or something like that that no one will then know what is going on in the thread. Big deal, not the end of the world if that would happen. It is much worse this way not being able to edit anything especially in the yard sale section.

It's simpler than that - the content is owned by the forum, not the poster.

Therefore, if you want to modify forum's content after the initial (60 min?) submission window, you need to request permission and assistance.

a

It's simpler than that - the content is owned by the forum, not the poster.....
Wow.....
errrr, hmmmm...... Okay? This is your stance regarding all the contributions submitted by every individual on these forums? So this is not a community effort?

And, you are speaking officially for TRF staff?

Note: I really could go on about all that such an attitude implies, but I think I'll sit and watch from the sidelines on this one.

Please do not hijack threads on items for sale in the yardsale.

I have advocated for a change in policy. If it happens, please do not abuse the editing.

Please do not hijack threads on items for sale in the yardsale.
The forum is free, just like phone apps. You don't own them but you get use them. The postings become theirs.
I gain a lot of friendship and knowledge through the forum. At least the forum does not pillage my contacts, text msgs, photos and emails like Google and Facebook. What I post on the forum they can have, I don't care.

Guys are trying to sell things and people keep hijacking the threads. I am asking nicely for folks to not do that.

I advocated. You can now edit threads for 30 days. Please do not act destructively or it will go away.

Guys are trying to sell things and people keep hijacking the threads. I am asking nicely for folks to not do that.

I advocated. You can now edit threads for 30 days. Please do not act destructively or it will go away.

Thank you for making the effort. Much appreciated.

Looked like the same user was doing the hijacking. Or at least in two threads that I saw. Blocking said user could also help....

That is not against the rules. It is against the rules to argue prices or haggle in the thread. If you want to counter offer, send a PM. Posting a post that the price is too high or there offers better elsewhere is rude. Send a PM.

Many of us have posted off topic, but it has gotten out of control in the yardsale section. If the post is about the item, feel free to post.

Was it me? I did post to at least one of those threads. If it was me I apologize as I didn’t mean to hijack.
You weren't the one I was referring to either. I was even gonna ask you if you could/would get me one for 180, or rather just the 1706 casing. ;)

Would commenting positively on a product for sale that I have no intention of buying be a violation?
Technically, no.

And sometimes commenting (neutral or positive) keeps the sale post near the top of the thread, which benefits the seller...
Chuck, that was a cool tip you posted about just clicking on the "for Sale" or "wanted" box to see just those posts. Did not know that existed.

Would commenting positively on a product for sale that I have no intention of buying be a violation?

CW answered "No" to the above.

But rule #16 that keeps getting posted (or #5 tip and tricks) , says "if you are not involved in a transaction with the seller" ..... "stay out of the conversation"

So... Posting just to say "the item is nice, but to expensive for me" Sounds like a complete violation of rule #16. Said post would add absolutely nothing to the conversation other than one's non-relevant opinion.

Last edited:
Let's focus on moving forward and not the past. Posting in a thread with a clarifying question is not a violation and is encouraged. It is better to ask before the payment or receipt than to find things out later.

I recommend not making offhand comments or even positive ones but these would not warrant an infraction. These comments may distract from the sale.

If I have a post in the yard sale can I request that people post off hand comments? As mentioned above it keeps the post more to the top and might even have people look at it that might not otherwise look. As they say there is no such thing as bad press. I have one post that is a wanted item post that is long standing that I bump up every couple months or so. Activity on this post keeps it not just towards the top but in the first couple of pages. A couple weeks ago I bumped it after not having any activity for six or seven months.

CW answered "No" to the above.

But rule #16 that keeps getting posted (or #5 tip and tricks) , says "if you are not involved in a transaction with the seller" ..... "stay out of the conversation"

So... Posting just to say "the item is nice, but to expensive for me" Sounds like a complete violation of rule #16. Said post would add absolutely nothing to the conversation other than one's non-relevant opinion.

To me There seems to be 2 similar answers from CW on this question. One with explaination (10:01 pm Saturday) and then one with out.

To me There seems to be 2 similar answers from CW on this question. One with explaination (10:01 pm Saturday) and then one with out.

No means no, what do you not understand?

10:01 post said:
That is not against the rules. It is against the rules to argue prices or haggle in the thread. If you want to counter offer, send a PM. Posting a post that the price is too high or there offers better elsewhere is rude. Send a PM.

Many of us have posted off topic, but it has gotten out of control in the yardsale section. If the post is about the item, feel free to post.

To clarify: If the post is about the item (and not haggling or arguing the price), feel free to post, but I still recommend that you post mostly questions for clarification and not hijack the thread.

Ok. Either way, my point is that we will be sending out warnings to those that haggle in the thread. The goal is to curb the behavior that posters have complained about.

Back