Hi Tech / Low Power?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW - if you really like the design you could always clone it with lighter weight BT-80 tubes and launch on a wider range of LPR motors.
This rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper! Yeah, I like the design. I think it is the fins. When I saw it I thought Whoa baby, look at the back end on that model! (Note: I realize I should have said aft end, but I've been away from rocketry for a while). But, yes, I do like the design.
I am expecting a LOC1 Hi Tech under my tree tomorrow morning, which is small but should be fun. I have also been sizing up the parts I need to build a half scale model based on BT55 tubes. But now I have to also look into a full scale but lightweight version based on BT80 tubes. Thanks!
I know there are other models out there with similar fins but having the same model in 3 different sizes seems cool.
However, I have a DynaStar Grappler, which is essentially the same size but half the weight and uses 24mm motors. I enjoy flying it on Estes E12-6 motors, it goes low and slow, with a lot of smoke and noise, and those motors have a relatively long burn time (2.4 s). It's fun, and the grandkids like it too! So on one hand I don't need another rocket to fill this niche. But on the other hand I don't like the aft end so much. Decisions, decisions......

Dave

This rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper! Yeah, I like the design. I think it is the fins. When I saw it I thought Whoa baby, look at the back end on that model! (Note: I realize I should have said aft end, but I've been away from rocketry for a while). But, yes, I do like the design.
I am expecting a LOC1 Hi Tech under my tree tomorrow morning, which is small but should be fun. I have also been sizing up the parts I need to build a half scale model based on BT55 tubes. But now I have to also look into a full scale but lightweight version based on BT80 tubes. Thanks!
I know there are other models out there with similar fins but having the same model in 3 different sizes seems cool.
However, I have a DynaStar Grappler, which is essentially the same size but half the weight and uses 24mm motors. I enjoy flying it on Estes E12-6 motors, it goes low and slow, with a lot of smoke and noise, and those motors have a relatively long burn time (2.4 s). It's fun, and the grandkids like it too! So on one hand I don't need another rocket to fill this niche. But on the other hand I don't like the aft end so much. Decisions, decisions......

Dave
Open Rocket would let you change the body tubes from heavy wall 2.6" to BT-80 tubes. This would let you check how weight is affected. If you use light weight 2mm plywood I assume you could create the same model and it would be quite a bit lighter than the original build. You could even swap the nosecone between your two builds if you did not make it too heavy on your original build.

FYI - I launched a Der Big Red Max on an E12-4 (modified engine mount for lighter BT-50 24mm setup with light weight centering rings) and that is exactly the type of flight you can hope for with a big rocket in a moderately sized field.

kjhambrick - thanks for all the info, I appreciate it. But this, just when I convinced myself I HAD to build a 24mm/38mm adapter? I guess I am surprised there isn't one readily available. I already have a couple F42T's to fly it on so I guess I don't really need to build an adapter. But on the other hand, I can......

Dave
Off Topic:

Yes, I am "flighty" when it comes to my rocket designs :)

I always liked sounding rocket models ever since grade school.

The LOC High-Tech and the EZ-I both fit the design pattern that appeals to me ( ... "Whoa baby, look at the back end on that model!" ... ).

But I am a LOC Vulcanite man, myself.

I've already got three scale models: an original 2.23 inch, a glass 2.95 inch and an glassed AT-tube 1.9 inch ).

These three rockets flew the AltAcc in the desert back in the olden days with any motor that fit.

But the AltAcc wouldn't fit in tubes smaller than the 1.9 inch AT tube.

Now my payload is a Featherweight Blue Raven.

That little beauty will fit in a 24 mm tube !

So my 'mission plan' is to round out my covey of Vulcanite Scale Models.

I am designing and building them so that they can also fly any motor that fits if I've got a launch site that can handle them.

But by down-scaling, I should also be able to tly them over at the local elementary school too ...

I will need a 38-to-24 mm adapter so I'll build one for "La Diminuta Vulcanita 42" -- a Mach 1 BT-60 Glass Scale Model of the LOC Vulcanite:

LDV-42-Screenshot_20231224_072454.png
LDV-42's maiden voyage will be on an RMS 24/40 F24W to about 1500 ft so I can watch her fly,

I'll let you know what I come up with for a 38-to-24 mm adapter.

Fun thread !

Thanks for letting me play :)

-- kjh

Open Rocket would let you change the body tubes from heavy wall 2.6" to BT-80 tubes. This would let you check how weight is affected. If you use light weight 2mm plywood I assume you could create the same model and it would be quite a bit lighter than the original build. You could even swap the nosecone between your two builds if you did not make it too heavy on your original build.

FYI - I launched a Der Big Red Max on an E12-4 (modified engine mount for lighter BT-50 24mm setup with light weight centering rings) and that is exactly the type of flight you can hope for with a big rocket in a moderately sized field.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! Nice launch. What does your Der Big Red Max weigh in at? My Grappler does similar low slow flights on E12's, it weighs 11 oz.

Thanks for letting me play :)
Thanks for joining in!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes a particular style. I had already decided there will most likely be an EZI in my future. (Do they call it EZI because it is appealing to look at? Ha!)

The Vulcanite is also appealing, a bit taller and slimmer with a similar aft end. Nice!

I'm interested in what you come up with for a 29/38 motor adapter if you don't mind sharing. You'll most likely beat me to it.

Dave

Thanks for joining in!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes a particular style. I had already decided there will most likely be an EZI in my future. (Do they call it EZI because it is appealing to look at? Ha!)

The Vulcanite is also appealing, a bit taller and slimmer with a similar aft end. Nice!

I'm interested in what you come up with for a 29/38 motor adapter if you don't mind sharing. You'll most likely beat me to it.

Dave

It was called EZ-I65 because it was an easy rocket to fly an I65 in back in the late 1980s.

The Hi-Tech 45 was to fly the H-45 motor on.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! Nice launch. What does your Der Big Red Max weigh in at? My Grappler does similar low slow flights on E12's, it weighs 11 oz.
It is supposed to be 14.5oz stock. I papered the fins but lighted up the motor mount setup some (BT-50 stuffer w/ 2mm plywood centering rings) so I bet that it was around the stock weight but do not recall exactly.

Back