Hi from Montgomery County, Maryland

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean-Pierre

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, folks. Long time lurker here who has finally joined the forum! My name is Josh, and I live right outside Washington DC. Was never much of a hobbyist until COVID closed our schools and my wife and I had to become our (then) 4 and 7 year olds' teachers. One day for "science class" I broke out an Estes starter kit. Flash forward two years and a lot of scratch built and kit rockets, and here I am. :) I've made it my New Year's resolutions to meet some other local rocketeers - I've read there are several clubs in the DMV - and to get my Level I (expecting a kit from Santa).

Thanks to all the helpful and generous people who post their tips here - I've learned a bunch! And if you're in the area, ping me!

There is Narhams, one of the oldest clubs around. They have monthly launches in Mt Airy, and used to run launches at Goddard Spaceflight Center before Covid. I'm a member of Narhams, and its a friendly bunch.

Narhams

Thanks everyone for the kind welcome and helpful advice! Banzai88, I'm from Silver Spring, right next to Rockville. (James Huber Blake HS is my go to launch site; stop by, and you still can see my orange scratch build dangling from a tree by the soccer fields...) And Bill S and Antares JS, I'll definitely be reaching out to NARHAMS and MDRA this spring. Both sound like great clubs.

James Huber Blake is outside the DC FRZ, so that’s good to know.

We’re fortunate to have two NAR Sections here, NARHAMS ( flies in Mt. Airy) and NOVAAR (The Plains, VA). MDRA has two launch sites on the other side of the Bay Bridge. Central Virginia Tripoli launches in Culpepper, VA. Finding a weekend launch is simply a matter of looking up each club’s schedule.

Thanks everyone for the kind welcome and helpful advice! Banzai88, I'm from Silver Spring, right next to Rockville. (James Huber Blake HS is my go to launch site; stop by, and you still can see my orange scratch build dangling from a tree by the soccer fields...) And Bill S and Antares JS, I'll definitely be reaching out to NARHAMS and MDRA this spring. Both sound like great clubs.
You might want to step up your MDRA visit to January, when club members will be launching their Christmas trees. Only place on earth where this occurs, AFAIK.

I'm in Columbia, probably ten miles from you.

Welcome! How did your kids like the rockets?

"Wow, that's going to the moon!!" That's what my little guy shouted, which was an adorable and awesome reaction for a 200 ft flight. :) And a couple week ago: "Hey dad, remember when we built that rocket together? That was fun! Can we do it again?" So on cyber Monday, I bought a pair of snap together Estes models which the three of us can "build" together after Christmas!

James Huber Blake is outside the DC FRZ, so that’s good to know.

We’re fortunate to have two NAR Sections here, NARHAMS ( flies in Mt. Airy) and NOVAAR (The Plains, VA). MDRA has two launch sites on the other side of the Bay Bridge. Central Virginia Tripoli launches in Culpepper, VA. Finding a weekend launch is simply a matter of looking up each club’s schedule.
You might want to step up your MDRA visit to January, when club members will be launching their Christmas trees. Only place on earth where this occurs, AFAIK.

Thanks jrains and Bat-mite. Hope to meet both of you soon at a weekend launch.

"Wow, that's going to the moon!!" That's what my little guy shouted, which was an adorable and awesome reaction for a 200 ft flight. :) And a couple week ago: "Hey dad, remember when we built that rocket together? That was fun! Can we do it again?" So on cyber Monday, I bought a pair of snap together Estes models which the three of us can "build" together after Christmas!
#Blessed

Not the only place. We launch everything, big and small, short and tall, solids, hybrids, and liquid bi-propellants of many types.

Friends of Amature Rocketry...AKA the FAR site www.friendsofamateurrocketry.org

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/christmas-tree-launch.169998/

Last edited:
Hi, folks. Long time lurker here who has finally joined the forum! My name is Josh, and I live right outside Washington DC. Was never much of a hobbyist until COVID closed our schools and my wife and I had to become our (then) 4 and 7 year olds' teachers. One day for "science class" I broke out an Estes starter kit. Flash forward two years and a lot of scratch built and kit rockets, and here I am. :) I've made it my New Year's resolutions to meet some other local rocketeers - I've read there are several clubs in the DMV - and to get my Level I (expecting a kit from Santa).

Thanks to all the helpful and generous people who post their tips here - I've learned a bunch! And if you're in the area, ping me!
Happy New Year from Philadelphia, Pa!
I love Flyers 🏒hockey and hate Philly cheesesteaks lol.
Looking forward to meeting some of you at MDRA this spring. This will be my first HP fiberglass build.
Thanks for all the advice and tips!

Back