Help with Altus Metrum EasyMini and USB

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshuman

Reaction score
I'm looking for help. Just bought an EasyMini. When I start it up it does dit-dit-dit startup mode, then varies between idle mode, pad mode, but most often a noise that sounds like like an electronic phone ringing. When I plugged it into my Windows 7 laptop via USB (AltOS 1-3-2 already installed) it first said EasyMini device driver successfully installed. But, cannot get it to show up as a device within AltOS, even when in idle mode. I've no prior experience with AltOS or other Altus Metrum hardware products, maybe it is something simple?

Thanks!
Bob

Bob,
I don't have an EasyMini, but I do have a TeleMega, and have experienced the same issue with it and my Windows 7 and Windows Vista machines. First check if you can see the EasyMini in Device Manager - it could be using the wrong drivers for it.

I ended up manually selecting drivers to install for the TeleMega from the AltusMetrum install folder (Program Files (x86)\AltusMetrum) and you may need to use a different USB port, since it doesn't always show up in Windows Control Panel Device Manager. When it does, it is in the Modem category.

Also, I am completely unable to flash AltOS firmware upgrades for my TeleMega using a Windows machine (either 7 or Vista... I haven't tried others.) It appears that as part of the firmware upgrade process the TeleMega changes device ID or something, and then Windows is unable to assign correct drivers to it for uploading firmware to it. The solution I found is to run the AltusMetrum software package on a Linux distribution, since Bdale and Keith (who make the AltusMetrum) speak Debian Linux natively, I am using a Debian distribution, and it is able to successfully flash firmware to my TeleMega.

I hope this helps, the EasyMini, TeleMega and TeleMetrum are very similar in software.

Last edited:
Thank you. I've used Ubuntu Linux, but do not have a laptop that I can put it onto for at the rocket field.

Also, I sadly do not understand your second paragraph, since it showed a successful driver install, but Easy Mini is not in Device Manager. Never tried to manually install a device driver. Anyone else describe how to do this?

Terrific - I'll short the circuits to stop the noise. Any thoughts on the widely varying noise signals it is sending - does your do that? (I presume it should not make the former phone ringing noise if it is solidly in idle mode?)

Do you still use your Easymini? Do you configure it with a windows computer?

Bob

Also, I sadly do not understand your second paragraph, since it showed a successful driver install, but Easy Mini is not in Device Manager. Never tried to manually install a device driver. Anyone else describe how to do this?

If the Easy Mini is not showing in Device Manager (check if there are any listings for Modem devices) then try plugging into a different USB port, while watching Device Manager. I was able to interrupt the automatic driver installation, and manually specify the correct TeleMetrum drivers, and my TeleMega would appear in Device Manager and in AltOS.

When I start it up it does dit-dit-dit startup mode, then varies between idle mode, pad mode, but most often a noise that sounds like like an electronic phone ringing. When I plugged it into my Windows 7 laptop via USB (AltOS 1-3-2 already installed) it first said EasyMini device driver successfully installed. But, cannot get it to show up as a device within AltOS, even when in idle mode. I've no prior experience with AltOS or other Altus Metrum hardware products, maybe it is something simple?

Thanks!
Bob

The startup noises are documented in the manual, in Chapter 5. System Operation, in the Firmware Modes section. I'm sorry the current manual is so large and contains information about all of our products; we're working on fixing that.

EasyMini goes into 'idle' mode when it's plugged into the computer at startup time, otherwise it goes into 'pad' mode. So, make sure it's plugged in before you power it up. You can look in Device Manager (https://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/device-manager-cp-windows-7.htm should show you how to get there) to see if it recognizes the device. If so, it should appear in the AltOS dialog box.

Back