EasyMinis not detected by AltOS software

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim51

Reaction score
So...I've successfully installed the AltOS software, hooked up my laptop to the EasyMini with a USB cable I know works...but when I power up the EasyMinis neither is visible on the Configure Altimeter function, or any other function on the software interface. On power up (I switch on the altimter after USB insertion) both EasyMinis make appropriate noises as per the Altus Metrum manual.

This is my first time using Altus Metrum altimeters and I have read the manual, but couldn't see any trouble shooting tips - any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong..?

20240103_214021.jpg

So...I've successfully installed the AltOS software, hooked up my laptop to the EasyMini with a USB cable I know works...but when I power up the EasyMinis neither is visible on the Configure Altimeter function, or any other function on the software interface. On power up (I switch on the altimter after USB insertion) both EasyMinis make appropriate noises as per the Altus Metrum manual.

This is my first time using Altus Metrum altimeters and I have read the manual, but couldn't see any trouble shooting tips - any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong..?

View attachment 622751
The biggest issue with connectivity is using a charging cable and not a data cable. Yours has the USB logo on it so it is just a charging cable.

Make sure the EasyMini is horizontal when you power it on. Also be sure you have a data cable and not just a power charger cord. It looks like they are horizontal, so my bet is on the cable.

Tony
Easy mini is not directional. its only baro.

Your pin is in the swith, it has to be on (pull pin on the switch), and battery connected.

And yes, you have to have a data cable, not a charging cable. There is a difference. 99% of the time, it the cable.

Easy mini is not directional. its only baro.

Your pin is in the swith, it has to be on (pull pin on the switch), and battery connected.

And yes, you have to have a data cable, not a charging cable. There is a difference. 99% of the time, it the cable.
In my mind's eye, I read it as 'EasyMotor', not EasyMini! The EasyMotor is the only Altus product I have used, and so I 'internally' translated the Mini to Motor. But it's good to know that not all Altus products have to be horizontal at startup.

I think in the previous thread where this was asked I mentioned how I had something like 5 of those micro USB cables, and the first 4 were power only. It was only because I thought to test them with another altimeter that I finally figured it out. I now have them labeled.

Thanks for the clarification,

Tony

In my mind's eye, I read it as 'EasyMotor', not EasyMini! The EasyMotor is the only Altus product I have used, and so I 'internally' translated the Mini to Motor. But it's good to know that not all Altus products have to be horizontal at startup.

I think in the previous thread where this was asked I mentioned how I had something like 5 of those micro USB cables, and the first 4 were power only. It was only because I thought to test them with another altimeter that I finally figured it out. I now have them labeled.

Thanks for the clarification,

Tony
I think you mean EasyMega not EasyMotor. EasyMega needs to be horizontal. EasyMini does not.

I think you mean EasyMega not EasyMotor. EasyMega needs to be horizontal. EasyMini does not.
I did mean the EasyMotor, as I mentioned, it's the only AM device I've worked with. The EasyMotor definitely needs to be horizontal when powered on to connect to the software. It’s not mentioned anywhere in the very short manual for the EasyMotor, and it is buried in the main manual (page 60 of the PDF):

"The AltOS firmware build for the altimeters has two fundamental modes, “idle” and “flight”. Which of these modes the firmware operates in is determined at start up time. For TeleMetrum, TeleMega, EasyMega and EasyTimer, which have accelerometers, the mode is controlled by the orientation of the rocket (well, actually the board, of course...) at the time power is switched on. If the rocket is “nose up”, then the flight computer assumes it’s on a rail or rod being prepared for launch, so the firmware chooses flight mode. However, if the rocket is more or less horizontal, the firmware instead enters idle mode. Since EasyMini doesn’t have an accelerometer we can use to determine orientation, “idle” mode is selected if the board is connected via USB to a computer, otherwise the board enters “flight” mode. TeleMini selects “idle” mode if it receives a command packet within the first five seconds of operation."

No mention is made of the EasyMotor, but we realized since it has an accelerometer, it needed to be horizontal. That, and have an actual data cable and not a charger cable. Since the EasyMini only uses the presence of the USB data cable, my bet in post #2 is probably the winning wager.

Tony

I did mean the EasyMotor, as I mentioned, it's the only AM device I've worked with. The EasyMotor definitely needs to be horizontal when powered on to connect to the software. It’s not mentioned anywhere in the very short manual for the EasyMotor, and it is buried in the main manual (page 60 of the PDF):

"The AltOS firmware build for the altimeters has two fundamental modes, “idle” and “flight”. Which of these modes the firmware operates in is determined at start up time. For TeleMetrum, TeleMega, EasyMega and EasyTimer, which have accelerometers, the mode is controlled by the orientation of the rocket (well, actually the board, of course...) at the time power is switched on. If the rocket is “nose up”, then the flight computer assumes it’s on a rail or rod being prepared for launch, so the firmware chooses flight mode. However, if the rocket is more or less horizontal, the firmware instead enters idle mode. Since EasyMini doesn’t have an accelerometer we can use to determine orientation, “idle” mode is selected if the board is connected via USB to a computer, otherwise the board enters “flight” mode. TeleMini selects “idle” mode if it receives a command packet within the first five seconds of operation."

No mention is made of the EasyMotor, but we realized since it has an accelerometer, it needed to be horizontal. That, and have an actual data cable and not a charger cable. Since the EasyMini only uses the presence of the USB data cable, my bet in post #2 is probably the winning wager.

Tony

I stand corrected. I had never heard of the Easy Motor but it does in fact exist!

Back