Hello from West Lafayette, Indiana

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arora

Reaction score
Hey! I'm new to TRF, but I find great info on here all the time. I'm relatively new to rocketry in that I've never launched a rocket myself, but I am on a college team (who could all probably do with being on here as well haha). I know the basics and am in the process of making my first rocket (OR screenshot below), hopefully, to launch soon at IRI here in Indiana. Looking forward to participating more here potentially, and learning even more about HPR!

L1.png

Hey! I'm new to TRF, but I find great info on here all the time. I'm relatively new to rocketry in that I've never launched a rocket myself, but I am on a college team (who could all probably do with being on here as well haha). I know the basics and am in the process of making my first rocket (OR screenshot below), hopefully, to launch soon at IRI here in Indiana. Looking forward to participating more here potentially, and learning even more about HPR!

View attachment 567361
Looks good, stability wise. I don’t see any glaring errors in structure.

How did your simulations come out?

Looks good, stability wise. I don’t see any glaring errors in structure.

How did your simulations come out?
Sims look good for the most part. As in the photo, going up on an H550 RMS with a delay of about exactly 10s between burnout and apogee, so that should be simple enough. The parachute is a 36" RS Nylon chute I have from an old LOC-IV kit someone gave me, resulting in about a 24 ft/s descent rate.

Sims look good for the most part. As in the photo, going up on an H550 RMS with a delay of about exactly 10s between burnout and apogee, so that should be simple enough. The parachute is a 36" RS Nylon chute I have from an old LOC-IV kit someone gave me, resulting in about a 24 ft/s descent rate.
Ordinarily I’d think that’s a bit faster than I’d want, but with that kind of altitude and the trailing edge swept forward, I think that that might be a good way to go.

550N is a lot of thrust, so make sure to have strong joint work. Should be hell of a flight!

Ordinarily I’d think that’s a bit faster than I’d want, but with that kind of altitude and the trailing edge swept forward, I think that that might be a good way to go.

550N is a lot of thrust, so make sure to have strong joint work. Should be hell of a flight!
Thanks! I was aiming for 20 ft/s for the descent, but I'll have to see for the final weight of the vehicle, it is a composite scratch build for the aerostructure, and so far it's been lighter than predicted. And yeah, I don't have tabs in the design, but full through-the-wall fins and a fiberglass motor mount for best chance of survival!

Back