Handheld GPS Trackers - Suggestions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
I have a Big Red Bee GPS tracker but I don't have a handheld GPS tracker to do the finding.
What I think I want is a tracker that will me where the rocket is (I assume I enter those coordinates) and my relative distance and bearing from the rocket.
For those of you use a system like this, what do you use that works for you?

Greg

You can use just about any navigation app on your phone, look for the ones designed for hikers that allow you to enter GPS coordinates and "take me there". Be careful when you enter the coordinates... make sure they're in the right format (degrees.decimal, degrees:minutes.decimal, or degrees:minutes:seconds). If you get it wrong, you're going to be way off when you start looking for your rocket.

I use a MW RTX. Performance has been flawless with my longest recovery at aboit 2 miles out.

If you are looking to retain your BRB and are simply needing a handheld device which can navigate you to the GPS coordinates provided by your tracker, I believe the Garmin eTrex models will do that (or use an app in your phone as Chris suggested).

If you do a search here for "etrex" you'll see a number of discussions, to include one related to using an eTrex in conjunction with a BRB.

I use the native Iphone Map App to enter coordinates in xx.xxxxxx yy.yyyyy format (directly off an Eggfind RX)
This works great. The I am here dot has a 'head light' beam to show the direct phone is pointing. Just turn until head light points to rocket marker and walk.

At every launch I use my eTrex 30x with Sight 'N Go feature. So when the rocket comes down, it allows me to project a waypoint in line with the downed rocket. It records the projected line along with my route so if I have to go around an obstacle, I can get back on the line. Having my route picture allows me to not retrace my steps if I have to do a sweeping search pattern. Plus I also use Eggfinders in my bigger rockets and have had to put the GPS coordinates into my Garmin (when in a cornfield) to help me find the rocket since I don't have the GPS unit in the LCD receiver. The Rocket Locator app on my Android is problematic so the Garmin has bailed me out.

Which BRB GPS unit are you referring to? The 900MHz unit or the 70cm unit?
I use a Yaesu VX-8GR for my 70cm BRB trackers, the inbuilt TNC and GPS give you a bearing and distance between the two. But if you're running a 900MHz unit you'd have that handheld box that just gives you Lat/Long of the Tracker as the box doesn't have GPS.
Either way, you can drop GPS coordinates into Google Maps as long as your fix is in decimal format. The BRB 900MHz units output fixes in decimal format, so all you need to do is copy those coordinates into Google Maps and configure it for walking directions. I like this because you can use the satellite overlay function to look at where your rocket is before attempting recovery, which can be a real value add if you're launching in a place with potential obstacles or if you plan to do a drive/walk combination recovery.

I'm going to get with Jonathan Hill who's on here at the next launch in SC, to give me a demo of his Eggtimer handheld receiver he has which gives you an arrow to point you to your rocket.

Latest posts

Back