Featherweight GPS Tracker can now report altitudes to 262,467 feet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian A

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have just recently switched over to a new production run of Featherweight GPS trackers, using the new UBlox SAM-M10Q GPS modules. These modules operate with less power for longer battery life, they can track more satellites simultaneously, and the max reported altitude limit has been raised to 80 km, which is 262,467 feet. The velocity limit is still 500 m/sec (Mach 1.46, 1640 feet/second, 1118 mph) so for those flights that can take advantage of the new altitude limit, you can expect to have a period of time with no GPS updates until the speed drops down low enough for the GPS receiver to start reporting again.

The Featherweight GPS units assembled with the whip antennas currently still use the SAM-M8Q modules that have been used since the start of the Featherweight GPS tracker production, but after those sell out, I'll start offering the whip antenna option with the newer GPS module.

I have just recently switched over to a new production run of Featherweight GPS trackers, using the new UBlox SAM-M10Q GPS modules. These modules operate with less power for longer battery life, they can track more satellites simultaneously, and the max reported altitude limit has been raised to 80 km, which is 262,467 feet. The velocity limit is still 500 m/sec (Mach 1.46, 1640 feet/second, 1118 mph) so for those flights that can take advantage of the new altitude limit, you can expect to have a period of time with no GPS updates until the speed drops down low enough for the GPS receiver to start reporting again.

The Featherweight GPS units assembled with the whip antennas currently still use the SAM-M8Q modules that have been used since the start of the Featherweight GPS tracker production, but after those sell out, I'll start offering the whip antenna option with the newer GPS module.
Why not the MAX-M10S?

Dang I wish I would have known this. I just got a whip antenna. I guess I'll just have to get another when I plan to go above 50km :clapping:....someday!

Updates to Raven, GPS, Magswitch, 29mm avbay...Very cool improvements, keep up the amazing work!

Adrian, Jack Caynon here. I purchased the 2 tracker package and I got the program to recognize 1 tracker but it doesn’t let me recognize the second tracker. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jack

Adrian, Jack Caynon here. I purchased the 2 tracker package and I got the program to recognize 1 tracker but it doesn’t let me recognize the second tracker. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jack
Adrian,

Never mind. I figured it out. Thanks!

Jack

Back