GPS Trackers for Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargeezer

Jess
Reaction score
Long story short I just got my Level 1 over the weekend and flew it low and slow. But now I might like to reach for the stars as it were lol.

I'm terrified of losing my rocket though and am contemplating investing in some sort of tracking system. I know these "egg timers" are suggested but yes, I'm intimidated by all the tiny parts. I'm wondering if there's anything that works with iPhone perhaps? Something simple and cheaper than the $500 kits I see on some websites? I do have a tile tracker but not certain if that would work? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

If you've done any electronics soldering before, don't be intimidated. I had never done any electronics soldering and taught myself. Just picked up some practice kits from Sparkfun. I have successfully assembled multiple Eggtimer products.
Alternatively, there are a handful of people that will solder the Eggfinder kits for you. Reach out to Cris at Eggtimer. I'm sure he could hook you up with one or all of them.

Long story short I just got my Level 1 over the weekend and flew it low and slow. But now I might like to reach for the stars as it were lol.

I'm terrified of losing my rocket though and am contemplating investing in some sort of tracking system. I know these "egg timers" are suggested but yes, I'm intimidated by all the tiny parts. I'm wondering if there's anything that works with iPhone perhaps? Something simple and cheaper than the $500 kits I see on some websites? I do have a tile tracker but not certain if that would work? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
New kid on the block option here as well: https://wildmanrocketry.com/collections/silicdyne/products/fluctus-system

Eggtimer Cris can send you a list of recommended assemblers. Get quotes from each of them, they'll be different. You can have your Eggtimer products shipped directly to the assembler to save shipping costs. It's still far cheaper than any other GPS option I'm aware of, and makes it turn-key.

If I weren’t already happy with EggFinder, I would look real hard at Featherweight. As far as I’ve been able to determine, it’s the least expensive non-EggFinder solution. I’ve used both Big Red Bee and Altus Metrum products and I’m just not computer literate enough to make them work well for me. I’m sure it’s user error, but since I’m the user and I struggle making them work . . . . Of course if you want to go high (above 50,000 feet) and cost isn’t a factor, nothing beats Kate.

I've been using the Missileworks T3 for years, but I have an android phone and run Rocket Locater on it. I use the same thing with a Bluetooth module on the Eggtracker LCD. Make sure you get a standalone system or if you do use your iPhone, that there is a compatible app for IOS.

I definitely endorse Eggtimer. A few simple tools (suggested by Cris) makes it all pretty straightforward (and fun). His instructions are detailed, excellent. Great performance in field, great value.

I'm no electronics tech, don't have the steadiest hands or sharpest eyesight...

PS I've now built several, EF, EF Mini, receiver, a couple Quantum.

Back