Guess the Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Incongruent

Reaction score
Guess the rocket/rocket motor (or is it engine?)

Basically, I took a bunch of photos at the Houston Space Center. They are of varying degrees of difficulty to figure out and listed in no order particular to that property.

Following is the first one.

IMG_4979.jpg

Lowpuller

Reaction score
Is this a trick question? I'm still thinking Saturn, maybe not a V but a Saturn still???

mpitfield

Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Is this a trick question? I'm still thinking Saturn, maybe not a V but a Saturn still???
To my untrained eye, and I mean that literally, the construction techniques/welding in that pic look too modern to be of the 60s - early 70s era.

Incongruent

Reaction score
To my untrained eye, and I mean that literally, the construction techniques/welding in that pic look too modern to be of the 60s - early 70s era.
It's the F-1 engine from the Saturn V. I thought the same. I'll attach some more pictures taken because there's so much detail.

IMG_4906.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

IMG_4923.jpg

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4928.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

IMG_4948.jpg

IMG_4922.jpg

Incongruent

Reaction score
Next one:

Somewhat easier.

Don't shout out if you know it but do guess if you are uncertain.

IMG_4935.jpg

mpitfield

Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Next one:

Somewhat easier.

Don't shout out if you know it but do guess if you are uncertain.
If memory serves me, isn't the J2 the second and third stage engine of the Saturn V as well?

I am really surprised at the manufacturing techniques on that last one, they were really ahead of their time. Again this is all based on my perception vs. any technical background on the manufacturing techniques they had back in the day.

Incongruent

Reaction score
If memory serves me, isn't the J2 the second and third stage engine of the Saturn V as well?

I am really surprised at the manufacturing techniques on that last one, they were really ahead of their time. Again this is all based on my perception vs. any technical background on the manufacturing techniques they had back in the day.
It was also on the Saturn IB.

I think that in the future, they'll look at the manufacturing tecniques in today's rockets and deem them ahead of their time. The manufacturing techniques likely existed but were too expensive for everyday use.
This is just speculation, however.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Actually they were developed for the program.

Steve Shannon

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
Turns out if engineers have enough funding, they make art.

Lowpuller

Reaction score
Not sure what part exactly but I am guessing shuttle vintage.

Incongruent

Reaction score
Solar cell from the ISS is what it said. The trace pattern is really interesting, they moved all the wiring to the back with the exception of the electrode, which has to be in the front. I would assume this is to create more space for the collecting surfaces and increase efficiency.

Lowpuller

Reaction score
Bottom of a space shuttle, center near the aft end................guessing here but likely Discovery...

Incongruent

Reaction score
Not sure which one but I agree with Lowpuller otherwise.

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498787047.325684.jpg

Visited KSC today. First time since shuttle program has been retired. Pretty amazing up close.

Latest posts