Guess the Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incongruent

Reaction score
Guess the rocket/rocket motor (or is it engine?)

Basically, I took a bunch of photos at the Houston Space Center. They are of varying degrees of difficulty to figure out and listed in no order particular to that property.

Following is the first one.

IMG_4979.jpg

Is this a trick question? I'm still thinking Saturn, maybe not a V but a Saturn still???

To my untrained eye, and I mean that literally, the construction techniques/welding in that pic look too modern to be of the 60s - early 70s era.

It's the F-1 engine from the Saturn V. I thought the same. I'll attach some more pictures taken because there's so much detail.

IMG_4906.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

IMG_4923.jpg

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4928.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

IMG_4948.jpg

IMG_4922.jpg

Next one:

Somewhat easier.

Don't shout out if you know it but do guess if you are uncertain.

IMG_4935.jpg

Next one:

Somewhat easier.

Don't shout out if you know it but do guess if you are uncertain.

If memory serves me, isn't the J2 the second and third stage engine of the Saturn V as well?

I am really surprised at the manufacturing techniques on that last one, they were really ahead of their time. Again this is all based on my perception vs. any technical background on the manufacturing techniques they had back in the day.

If memory serves me, isn't the J2 the second and third stage engine of the Saturn V as well?

I am really surprised at the manufacturing techniques on that last one, they were really ahead of their time. Again this is all based on my perception vs. any technical background on the manufacturing techniques they had back in the day.

It was also on the Saturn IB.

I think that in the future, they'll look at the manufacturing tecniques in today's rockets and deem them ahead of their time. The manufacturing techniques likely existed but were too expensive for everyday use.
This is just speculation, however.

Actually they were developed for the program.

Steve Shannon

Solar cell from the ISS is what it said. The trace pattern is really interesting, they moved all the wiring to the back with the exception of the electrode, which has to be in the front. I would assume this is to create more space for the collecting surfaces and increase efficiency.

Bottom of a space shuttle, center near the aft end................guessing here but likely Discovery...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498787047.325684.jpg

Visited KSC today. First time since shuttle program has been retired. Pretty amazing up close.

Back