"Green Monkey Aerospace"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you who have ordered these motor systems, how are you planning on ensuring recovery of the little? rockets and thusly the motor system?

With bigger rockets, you can use beepers/buzzers/bigredbee's to help locate the rocket, plus just having a large rocket makes it easier to see where it lands. But smaller rockets can be lost easily.

Ensuring recovery ?

:rotflol:

BTW, I got a system as well and it is very well made.

Thanks for the nice words guys. I’m glad to hear you like them.

Recovery is always a problem. I like long orange plastic streamers, the flagging tape you can get it at Wal-Mart. (long = 144” +) Tracking powder is a plus. You can make a BT-5 sized beeper. Smaller BT-5 or BT-20 sized altimeters and run drogue-less dual recovery. I like big charges they give a nice boom to get your attention. Long Kevlar shock cords. Shiny glossy gleaming paint with chrome tape bands and chrome on the fins adds flash.

All of that should help but the only 100% way to get your rocket back is. Get a four-leaf clover tattooed on the a** of a leprechaun and keep him in your back pocket.:surprised:

I added some new spy photos. This time the spy was Nadine so the pictures don’t suck.

-Neil

Neil,

The hardware looks good. This may just show my ignorance of AT 18mm RMS but ,if you are going to make the 18mm hardware 'compatible' with the AT grains, will they also accommodate their delay elements?

Ensuring recovery ?

:rotflol:

BTW, I got a system as well and it is very well made.

I used Art's system (the BRB transmitter) on Saturday for my second time. Very impressive. I had a student with a Yagi and handheld radio trying to track the rocket as well. I saw it land, but when I got to where she was, she said that she'd lost sight of the rocket before the parachute opened. But she pointed the antenna and said "here's where I'm getting the strongest signal". She was able to lead us right to the rocket, and when we measured things with GPS, it turned out that she was pointing the antenna only 9 degrees from the exact heading to where the rocket had landed.

Dick,

Yep the 18mm case will use the AT delay as well. I will post a static burn of the 18mm stuff soon.

-Neil

Dick,

Yep the 18mm case will use the AT delay as well. I will post a static burn of the 18mm stuff soon.

-Neil

Cool! Did you use AT grains or did you make them yourself?

Neil - Are you planning to do any 24mm or 29 mm hardware? There are no active AMEX hardware in these sizes available...unless you count current Aerotech hardware.

Just curious, as I would love a nice set of 29mm goods.

Johnnie

The next larger sizes would be the next logical step....AFTER the 18mm :D

Neil - Are you planning to do any 24mm or 29 mm hardware? There are no active AMEX hardware in these sizes available...unless you count current Aerotech hardware.

Just curious, as I would love a nice set of 29mm goods.

Johnnie

Aren't Loki 29mm cases made for EX use (and their loads)?

I just shot the video and I’ll post it tomorrow at lunchtime. It was an AT D24-7T reload with delay. I’m planning on being able to combine the AT grains 1,2, or all 3 into one motor. Also using AT nozzles with wimpy red propellant like in a G104. At $1.50 a nozzle that’s a good deal.

24mm …
Yep, this is next after the 18mm and the odd 29mm thing.

29mm …
I thought there were lots of 29mm casing suppliers? I started looking around and there aren’t a lot of suppliers and that sucks. I think GMA will concentrate on the smaller hobby stuff for now. Hand mixing APCP for long 29mm motors start to be a pain. However there are exceptions to all rules. I’m going to make some 29mm EX monotube hybrids 12”, 24”, and 34”. I might make a small 29mm G case. I’m also writing an article for ER on how to cut snap ring grooves into any length tube on a 7x12 lathe. I have put this on hold to complete GMA work but when I start the 29mm stuff I will finish the article.

I hope this helps. If you need a 29mm case and just can’t find a supplier write me and I’ll work up a price for you. This will be custom work and will have to fit into my GMA schedule.

-Neil

Thanks for the nice words guys. I’m glad to hear you like them.

All of that should help but the only 100% way to get your rocket back is. Get a four-leaf clover tattooed on the a** of a leprechaun and keep him in your back pocket.:surprised:

-Neil

It didn't work.........;)

Are you going to try to do a static test with multiple grains? I really want to see what a multiple grain 18mm motor looks like...or sounds like....:D

That was an Aerotech D24-7T so the propellant was Aerotech Blue thunder. I'll put up a WR GMA motor burn soon.

-Neil

Any chance of making a bulkhead that can accept a delay grain and ejection charge :D. I know, very tricky for 13 and 18mm size style motors like that, but I doable if you don't mine making small diameter delay grains ;).

Well below is the way I do motor ejection on the 13mm motors.

I cut the liner .125” shorter than the total length needed. I then cut the delay grain as long as needed. Then cut a casting tube .125” shorter than the delay grain you just cut. Wrap the delay all but the top .125” with tape until it fits into the casting tube you cut. Place the now wrapped delay into the casting tube. Now you have a casting tube with .125” of delay sticking above it. Place this assembly into the top of the liner with the delay sticking above. Add one drop and only one drop of CA to hold it all in place. 2 black o-rings go no top, around the exposed delay. Now insert the fuel grains into the bottom of the liner. Place dry assembled motor with o-rings into a Ziploc bag and label with a Sharpie. This is just what I do. There are lots of methods. I also like the Loki method of covering the delay with o-rings. I have also cast plastic closures and glued the delay onto it.

Adding the delay into the closure would require then delay tube to be .25”od .065” plastic wall gives you only .125” id. I don’t think it would be very effective. I decided to added .5” to the casing to accommodate the delay.

If you just want smoke and no ejection then just cast the delay directly into a casting tube.

-Neil

For those of you who have ordered these motor systems, how are you planning on ensuring recovery of the little? rockets and thusly the motor system?

With bigger rockets, you can use beepers/buzzers/bigredbee's to help locate the rocket, plus just having a large rocket makes it easier to see where it lands. But smaller rockets can be lost easily.

For my first tests I plan to fly rockets that don't require recovery like
saucers, spools and such. After I am familiar with the motors then I will
try the delays. I have flown 24 and 29 mm EX motors but all with no
delays so this would be a first for me (EX with delay). I often overbuild
my rockets so they are just asking for larger motors. So it will be fun to
go back to some of my smaller rockets and fly them with EX motors. A lot
of my smaller rockets were just sitting on the shelve more than flying so
these cases will change that.

Thanks Niel.

William

This looks awesome. I gonna have to try this some day,( when i get money:rolleyes:

Ok, I'm stupid I guess. I get a web page but don't see any links to a video. :(

I used to get a video a few days ago, but it wouldn't play. Now I don't get any video.

All,

sorry about the video I had to pull it. I have a $10.00 go daddy site and all the downloads of the video have put me over my limit. I'm going to repost it somewhere soon. I just came down with the flu so I feel like hammered crap.
I will get back on task soon. I'm planning on pushing the 18mm stuff hard. But first i need to get better.

Will as far as testing on rockets that don't need recovery I think thats smart. I have flown lots of the art applewhite printer saucers. there free and build quickly. You can try a 3fnc type rocket just keep it light. if you mess up the delay no big loss. pointy nc for maximum lawn dart effect.

-Neil

Flu? Snort some AP and get back to testing :pirate: Seriously, get better first.

I too will start with Art Applewhite stuff since I have a bag full of all shapes and sizes.

Hmm, flu. I've never had it, but I know it is pretty bad. Hope you feel better soon.

Back