GoPro Mounted on a Rocket! [VIDEO]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpsilonAerospace

Reaction score
So, I have decided that "pathetic" HD flashlight/keychain cameras won't cut it... and thus, well, a GoPro on a high-powered rocket!

[YOUTUBE]oxFryiaVKbM[/YOUTUBE]

This is a somewhat modified Madcow Cowabunga, with the GoPro mostly inside the rocket and in an upper section. The craft flew on an H123W to about 2100 feet, and was surprisingly straight and stable despite the additional weight on the one side. The video shows the launch, first at actual speed and then at 1/4 actual speed. Not all of the descent is shown, because I wanted to condense the video a little.

Let me know what you think -- Happy watching.

Thanks for all of the positive comments... I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

View attachment 154143

Here's a picture of the rocket. The unpainted brown bit is a Madcow Cowabunga that we already had built. The GoPro section is the white bit, and you can see the large hole cut in the tube, which was where the camera was inserted. The hole is wide enough to accommodate a GoPro in its case, and has several little divots to allow the camera to slide in all of the way (as GoPros have protruding buttons on their sides).

GoPro Rocket Closeup.jpg

Here's a closeup of the inside of the rocket, and you can see the GoPro mount near the center of the tube. The mount used was a small GoPro tripod mount, and it was simply attached by a bolt through the bulkhead, with a bit of epoxy on the threads. There's a circle cut out of the tube to allow a screw to be inserted into the GoPro mount, securing the camera. A loop of Kevlar is visible further towards the bottom, to attach this section to the remainder of the rocket. No counterweight, no fancy tricks, no nothing. This was a really simple add-on.

The GoPro model used was a standard GoPro 3 Black with no add-ons.

Last edited:
Cool video of the CRASH launch. I like it when the parking lot is down to about half full, then all the crazies bring out the cool stuff.

I hear you, Dave. Gotta get back out there. It's been a while.
Jim

Back