CAD Software Give me stuff to CAD.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to practice CAD, and thought that maybe some of you need a custom part but don’t know CAD? I can do it for you and this is the best part for FREE. The part you should be wary of is that I am very much learning and results may vary. Just send me a PM of what you want.
I got one for you: how about a Scale ARCAS fin can I want it for a 2.6" tube rocket but must be able to contain a 54MM motor tube. I need it as a 3d object I can 3d print. can you do it?

I got one for you: how about a Scale ARCAS fin can I want it for a 2.6" tube rocket but must be able to contain a 54MM motor tube. I need it as a 3d object I can 3d print. can you do it?
I’m not sure that a printed fin can take a 54mm motor and not break but I’m not an expert. So I’ll do it just be aware.

I don't want to make the printed fin can the motor mount I just want it to slip over a 54mm motor mount tube. I plane to fly long 54mm motors and use a long tube so the bulk of the load would be carried by the tube further up the body tube. On the forward section I need it to reduce down to 2.6 coupler dimensions so i can slip a 2.6" tube onto it. (see sketch). I would want it close to scale for an ARCAS.

Attachments

• arcas fin can.png
    arcas fin can.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 0
I don't want to make the printed fin can the motor mount I just want it to slip over a 54mm motor mount tube. I plane to fly long 54mm motors and use a long tube so the bulk of the load would be carried by the tube further up the body tube. On the forward section I need it to reduce down to 2.6 coupler dimensions so i can slip a 2.6" tube onto it. (see sketch). I would want it close to scale for an ARCAS.
Ok expect it tomorrow or the Day after.

Sorry I have been busy and haven’t had the time for this I can get it to you next week.

I think the 54mm motor tube is a little large for this, with a scale tailcone.

arcas-rocket-dimensions-scheme-KRECJ6.jpg

It will also shred almost immediately, maybe a 24mm motor would be a better choice.....

Last edited:
This is a fin can with the phenolic motor mount tube running thru the middle and way up into the body. I'm not planning to print it with PLA. I was thinking either Nylon Kevlar or carbon fiber enhanced filament

Your designer will need to know the outside diameter of the motor tube, and the inside and outside diameter of the body tube.

I think I told him to assume LOC phenolic 54mm but if its off I can always edit it. BTW I'm planning on trying this for a NEAR minimum diameter (54mm motor in 2.6 body tube) light weight rocket flying a slow burn J (Aerotech J90W). I have done a lot of calcs on this as well as some destructive testing of some 3D printed materials ( Note: I'm a physicist/chemist and I own a couple of laboratories which have destructive testing equipment I can play with) and so far it looks like, if they are printed at the correct angles and use the right materials, this should be stronger and lighter weight than other constructions. Off course we all know once you launch something all kinds of things can happen. I've seen G10 fins snap at subsonic speeds just due to flutter caused by a very slight misalignment. One of the reasons I'm looking at 3D printing fin cans is the ability to align at much higher precision and to use complex geometries to reduce drag and increase performance.
Will let you know how it works out.

I've seen G10 fins snap at subsonic speeds just due to flutter caused by a very slight misalignment. One of the reasons I'm looking at 3D printing fin cans is the ability to align at much higher precision and to use complex geometries to reduce drag and increase performance.
Will let you know how it works out.

Have you seen these G10 fins "flap" at transonic speed? Just below that on the 4" M motor I flew before they had no spin on the on board camera. They spin on the 4" N motor... then flap off

I want to practice CAD, and thought that maybe some of you need a custom part but don’t know CAD? I can do it for you and this is the best part for FREE. The part you should be wary of is that I am very much learning and results may vary. Just send me a PM of what you want.
@NTP2 are you interested in modeling an air intake for a Mac Performance Pluto Slam I'm building?

I'm in the process of building one of the limited run kits from: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/4-fwfg-pluto-slam-limited-number-available.162783/

For static display, I think it would be nice to attach an air scoop to the rail buttons.

As a starting point, I've found this model that may provide some good reference: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4664944

I have a 3d printer to handling the printing!

-Jack

Wow! That's nuts! that looks like an eagle flapping its wings in slow motion! I can't imagine the kind of force on those fins. Do you know what caused them to do that?

CFD folks on here before the Crash asked me for the video and the accelerometer data. They did CFD that showed how the G10 failed with color in the fins where it all broke apart. that data seems gone now since the crash.

@NTP2 are you interested in modeling an air intake for a Mac Performance Pluto Slam I'm building?

I'm in the process of building one of the limited run kits from: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/4-fwfg-pluto-slam-limited-number-available.162783/

For static display, I think it would be nice to attach an air scoop to the rail buttons.

As a starting point, I've found this model that may provide some good reference: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4664944

I have a 3d printer to handling the printing!

-Jack
Your in the queue… of 2.

Ps I’m a poet and I didn’t even know it :p

@NTP2 If you are still taking "orders" I'd love a camera mount for my run cam split 4 and my 2" LOC Tomahawk. There is some who already made one for a 4" diameter airframe but I can't figure out how to modify it to my needs. I'd honestly be happy to pay you in a case of beer if that helps.

Last edited:
@NTP2 If you are still taking "orders" I'd love a camera mount for my run cam split 4 and my 2" LOC Tomahawk. There is some who already made one for a 4" diameter airframe but I can't figure out how to modify it to my needs. I'd honestly be happy to pay you in a case of beer if that helps.
I can't find the camera dimensions anywhere; do you have some or know where to find some.

I think the 54mm motor tube is a little large for this, with a scale tailcone.

View attachment 622147

It will also shred almost immediately, maybe a 24mm motor would be a better choice.....

54mm body tube, 38mm motor tube works well, a 2.6 with a 54 should be ok. This is printed 'rocket up' for a sweep like the ARCAS, you would need to print it 'rocket down' The sweep should make this achievable without supports or just a thin 'leading edge ridge'

The Motor tube gets bonded into the fin can, the fin can gets bonded into the body tube.
  • Tapered aft end
  • Bond Features molded in
  • rail guide integrated
  • Alignment ribs molded in
  • Shock Cord 'tunnel' molded in

1704306641168.png
1704306651929.png

1704306688419.png

1704306791877.png

too big to upload, msg me and I will email it to you

3d printed nosecone too

Back