CAD Software Give me stuff to CAD.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll feel like you never have to buy anything again! :p I think there's a good market for 3d printing. The masses do not have a 3d printer, but want to get into it - enter NTP2! :) Go for it! I think there is great room for expansion. There sure is nationally. Not one company stands out if I want something printed. Ok, maybe the library! :p

Good luck!

Er, there are plenty of places to go get something 3d printed. And the library.
Yes but I am already doing the CAD it might be easier to just have me do it. And my library doesn’t have 3d printing, And you have to pay a decent amount for printing.

Aerotech Cases

There are some out already, but if you want to ease yourself into CAD, a good set of models for the Aerotech Cases / ends, plus a good set for the single use too. Some of the case cad models floating around are pretty bad. There are good ones too. but nice to have a clean set that has been verified including the tolerances. End up with a set of IGES / STEP files. STL maybe.

You can keep it simple (just cylinders) or add all the threads, chamfers, knurling, bevels etc. Dimensions are all on line. Modeled to the MMC (Max Material Condition) of the tolerance.

Mike K

Bonus points for .3DM files

Aerotech Cases

There are some out already, but if you want to ease yourself into CAD, a good set of models for the Aerotech Cases / ends, plus a good set for the single use too. Some of the case cad models floating around are pretty bad. There are good ones too. but nice to have a clean set that has been verified including the tolerances. End up with a set of IGES / STEP files. STL maybe.

You can keep it simple (just cylinders) or add all the threads, chamfers, knurling, bevels etc. Dimensions are all on line. Modeled to the MMC (Max Material Condition) of the tolerance.

Mike K

Bonus points for .3DM files
Cessaroni cases too?

Another request I saw floating around is STL examples of GPS trackers and altimeters.

Cessaroni cases too?

Another request I saw floating around is STL examples of GPS trackers and altimeters.
Sure on the Cessaroni, simpler to model...

What would be useful is cad models / drill jigs for the common altimeters. If you just had the hole patters and edges of the boards that would be used by lots of folks here. Really need to make sure you have to tolerances right on those. As a minimum if you had the hole pattern and the overall envelope (see pic below, green is Perfectflite) with the holes, BOTH AS THE final hole size, and with the pilot hole needed to tap the holes, or final size for a self tapping screw.

Wanna make it higher fidelity add the screw terminals (can get cad for the terminals from the suppliers) see the last picture.

1702588884083.png

1702588517937.png
1702590008244.png

BTW, what CAD software are you using?
For freeform modeling I recommend Rhino-3D

Cessaroni cases too?

STL is more of an end product, good for the folks that are going to 3d print from that file but not great if they are going to incorporate your models in theirs . For that IGES and STP files are beast, (almost) every cad program can import them.

Attachments

• SAMPLE STP.stp
    563 KB · Views: 0
  • SAMPLE IGS.igs
    967.5 KB · Views: 0
@dr wogz and @kramer714 I use 2 different ones in my CAD class at school I use inventor, but at home I use fusion 360. Ok I will get some of those done this weekend.
Ps which casings? I don’t have time for all.

Last edited:
What you mean some CAD programs can have parameter driven designs? <shock> :)
not sure if you're being sarcastic or not..

Some are better than others, and I've seen so pretty neat parts, generated by spreadsheets or with just one or two parameters entered / dims changed.. (Done a few myself actually!) And I know some find the concept on par to quantum particle physics..

I once was with someone, who wanted a total of a list of numbers. He put them in to Excel, then manually added them up (with a calculator) to get the results. I told him: "Excel does that automatically, you know.." He was shocked. I showed him how.. he was amazed.. He thought it was just a fancy 'list' program..

Hence why I asked.. "What, you mean it can do that?!?!"

not sure if you're being sarcastic or not..

Some are better than others, and I've seen so pretty neat parts, generated by spreadsheets or with just one or two parameters entered / dims changed.. (Done a few myself actually!) And I know some find the concept on par to quantum particle physics..

I once was with someone, who wanted a total of a list of numbers. He put them in to Excel, then manually added them up (with a calculator) to get the results. I told him: "Excel does that automatically, you know.." He was shocked. I showed him how.. he was amazed.. He thought it was just a fancy 'list' program..

Hence why I asked.. "What, you mean it can do that?!?!"
Sarcasm on the Internet just doesn't work. :)

double bonus challenge:

make it an assembly and make it parametric. So you only need enter the tube size, and all the parts adjust automatically to fit..
You can do this in Solidworks, one limitation I discovered is that if you have a parametric hole pattern that modifies the number of holes, it will not adjust the number of fasteners in the assembly to match. I never did find a work around for that.

You can do this in Solidworks, one limitation I discovered is that if you have a parametric hole pattern that modifies the number of holes, it will not adjust the number of fasteners in the assembly to match. I never did find a work around for that.
:D Creo (PTC) allows for that. their 'pattern / array' feature allows anything constrained to that feature to also pattern / uses that as a reference, and patterns accordingly. But there can be some weird results.. (It is Creo , afterall!!)

One other thing I've noticed, is that certain constraints always need to be first. Try making the hole / stud constraint first, then do the face to face constraint. That might help.

I would love to work with Creo, my current job uses co-create which is non parametric. Most days I just want to commit hari kari with my calipers rather than use it.
I am working on the owners to upgrade to Windchill and Creo from their current homebrewed PDM system, but its a tough sell since one of the owners developed it.
I do know about the constraint order, I have been sending an enhancement request for that pattern feature to our Solidworks reseller every year since 2012 🤕

I would love to work with Creo, my current job uses co-create which is non parametric. Most days I just want to commit hari kari with my calipers rather than use it.
I am working on the owners to upgrade to Windchill and Creo from their current homebrewed PDM system, but its a tough sell since one of the owners developed it.
I do know about the constraint order, I have been sending an enhancement request for that pattern feature to our Solidworks reseller every year since 2012 🤕

IMHO,

no reason to do parametric on stuff like motor casings. Simple to model ,just change the length. end fittings scale simply from diameter to diameter, use a block for the threads.

for the day job, I have solid works, and rhino, mostly lofted parts. I use Rhino for90% of the modeling. Model something like the hojo fin can be done quickly free-form.

Sarcasm on the Internet just doesn't work. :)
Oh, it absolutely does!

I want to practice CAD, and thought that maybe some of you need a custom part ...
CAD/3D print idea: How about the OOP nose cone with built in canopy and canard fins from the Estes Nemesis and Star Rider kits.

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 12.38.51 PM.png

https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est2010.htm
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2017/07/estes-nemesis-2175-build-part-1-parts.html?m=1
I have been thinking about making a 2D print version, ie - cardstock.

Last edited:
IMHO,

no reason to do parametric on stuff like motor casings. Simple to model ,just change the length. end fittings scale simply from diameter to diameter, use a block for the threads.

for the day job, I have solid works, and rhino, mostly lofted parts. I use Rhino for90% of the modeling. Model something like the hojo fin can be done quickly free-form.

Well, lofted parts are art, not really relevant to actual engineering. 😇
Aidy Bryant Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Back