George Gassaway Cancer journey (Announcement, GoFundMe, and updates)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgegassaway

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have pancreatic cancer and it is inoperable. I’l started chemo, and will post more in THIS thread about my cancer journey. Originally I was told maybe a year, but it may be less than that.

I am creating another thread, linked below “George Gassaway’s cancer thoughts & prayers”.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/george-gassaway’s-cancer-thoughts-prayers.179868/
It (linked above) is for the SOLE purpose of keeping THIS thread clear for my cancer journey messages, not filled with other things. So please respect this and most thoughts and prayers type posts there.

Also, please do not post messages here about what happened with someone else. I’m trying to do something sort of unique here, from the inside out

My great friend Ed LaCroix has created a GoFundMe, to help to cover expenses I can’t afford. I hope those reading thi will share the link, and consider donating.

The link to it is here: https://tinyurl.com/5n8bdkw6

Last edited:
From the GoFundMe: https://tinyurl.com/5n8bdkw6

"
Help George Gassaway Fight Cancer

I'm Ed LaCroix and I'm raising funds for my good friend of over 30 years, George Gassaway. Quite recently, George was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. His cancer is inoperable, has metastasized and is in bloodstream. Although he is beginning chemotherapy, his very best result is 12 months. With no family to support him, I am calling on all of you, members of his hobby rocket family, for financial help.
Very soon, George may have an need to enter an assisted living center. Cost associated with either an assisted living facility or nursing home is the reason for this fundraising effort and the goal of $20,000.
George has not only flown rockets but has been an active member and volunteer for the National Association of Rocketry (NAR) for some 50 years. George has:
• Served on the NAR Board as a trustee for 10 years- from 1994-2004- and notably created an entirely new NAR member database and operating system.
• Developed and presented many award winning NARAM Research and Development presentations.
• Designed and shared countless competition and sport rocket designs via his website Georgesrockets.com- the Rotoroc; Maxima and Xebec boost gliders; Stilleto rocket gliders; and Flex-wing gliders to name but a very few.
• Represented the NAR as a competitor on numerous USA World Championship teams where he won medals in both duration and radio-controlled glider events.
• Successfully developed and flew the only fully-functioning radio-controlled, scale model of the Space Shuttle at a World Championship.
• Successfully developed and flew the first on-board model rocket guidance system- Sunguidance. In it’s first iteration, Sunguidance operated forward steering vanes to direct flight. A later version provided guidance using thrust vector control (TVC) by gimbaling the rocket motor.
I have been a friend and NAR competition teammate of George’s since 1992. Because of what we have shared flying sport and competition rockets, as well as radio control gliders and rocket-boosted gliders during the past 30 years, this fund raising effort is super important to me. I want George to have the best care during the time he has left.
The funds raised will go directly to him so he can receive the medical and living support he will require. I cannot adequately express my gratitude for whatever donation you can make."

Last edited:
I should have added up front… I’m trying to take this positively.

So, I thought my life was going to go one way, but it’s going another way, for less time.

I will try to make the best out of the time that I have left.

I have no close blood relatives.

But over 53 years in this hobby, I have a BIG family. :)

Last edited:
So, to go back to how I found out, and get several things up to date. .

By January, I realized I was not eating as much, but had been over-eating for awhile (holiday meals) so did not think much of it.

Early February, I could tell I had swelling in my lower abdomen. I had two hernia operations years before, installing a “net” each time, and those nets were helping keep things tight. I made a doctor’s appointment, and saw him March 2nd.

He quickly made an appointment for a CT scan. Once he got the result, he called me and told me I had pancreatic cancer. He tried to get stuff to happen quick, but there were too many examples of an appointment one week, then another appointment a week later, and so on. Not enough urgency (not his fault). I took control to push for “early” appointments, rather to sit back and wait for them to be assigned "whenever".

Anyway, after a biopsy, I finally saw an oncologist and they gave me the news. Cancer spread to the liver, and into the bloodstream. Too late for surgery to do any good. So, the only treatment option is Chemo. The oncologist showed me a sketch of a Bell Curve, showing 1 year at the peak.

My "Time Thrust Curve" :)

k02W1Ht.gif

I should say I got that diagnosis over a month ago.

I got a Chemo Port installed, located in my upper right chest.

what-is-a-chemo-port.jpg

It goes under the skin. See article:
https://moffitt.org/treatments/chemotherapy/what-is-a-chemo-port/

So, rarely any more use of my arm veins for blood draws or IV’s. Far more convenient. Might seem a bit offputting, but I prefer it, for sure.

Finally, Chemo day. Except…. I had some kidney infection issues, causing chemo to be called off, and a hospital stay for awhile.

Finally, Chemo day. And…. it finally happened. Two chemicals. I ended up having a very low Hemoglobin by the time I went back a week later. And I had certainly felt very weak. One of the chemos had too much of an effect on my bone marrow. So, cancelled chemo again, and a 4 day hospital stay where I got 3 pints of blood.

Next Monday, did not have that chemical, had only the other one. Felt OK, but when I went back for Chemo this past Monday, my platelet count was too low, so they cancelled Chemo again, to next Monday.

I’ve been told adjustments to Chemo were expected. But I know this is not good. So my life expectancy will likely be reduced by this. As far as revising my likely life expectancy evaluation, they said we’d look at that a few more weeks down the road.

So, that gets the basic cancer & Chemo info/news up to date.

I mentioned swelling of my abdomen. The liver cancer causes fluid, called Ascites, to accumulate in the abdomen. Info:

https://tinyurl.com/437jn35c
At times my belly looked like I’m pregnant, and still is swollen. Very uncomfortable at its max. There is one form of relief, to physically drain out the fluid. For awhile they only drained it every 2 weeks or longer. Finally have that regularly scheduled once a week. It’s an outpatient procedure, and I am awake the whole time (injected local anesthetic), so I can drive home later.

I think the max removed might have been over 8 liters. Last week, 7.4 liters. Thursday, 5.0 liters. So, far less discomfort now that it is drained regularly, with less build-up.

My apartment is NOT ADA compliant. But I can handle most of the stairs OK thanks to handrails. BUT, outside the main door, there are two steps higher than usual, and NO HANDRAILS! Before being weakened by cancer, it was not something I realized as a risk. A Physical Therapist worked with me to work out an improvement on how to try to navigate them safer. She suggested a cane. But a normal cane did not seem suitable. Then “Light Bulb”. A 4-legged cane (below left). Makes a huge difference, much safer using it.

SQLGB5o.jpg

I also got a “Rollator” (above right). So I can use it to help walk longer distances. It has a storage bin. Also, the brakes can be locked, and the top of the storage bin works as a seat. I keep it in my car, and get it out to walk to places such as hospital appointments, and will use it for launches and other non-shopping purposes (Used it to get into the theater , & get into my theater seat, to see Guardians of the Galaxy last week).

For shopping, I use a store’s own shopping carts. Also use electric scooters in stores that have them and one is available.

Also, have a disabled parking placard now.

Last edited:
So, some info on what disposition plans I have for my stuff, models, kits, & move.

My 1988 Sunguidance model will someday be in the Model Rocketry Museum at the Seattle Museum of Flight. My 1999 NARAM contest Space Shuttle will join it, presuming it is not damaged when I fly it for the US Team in S7 at the FAI World Space Modeling Championships in Austin, TX in early July.

My 1/16 Lunar Module Quadcopter will be offered to AMA's Model Aircraft Museum. If they do not agree to display it, I may auction it.

My WEBSITE will be donated to the NAR and remain up after I'm gone.

Some of you with websites may want to consider doing the same, because, you never know, then it's too late (Reach out to Todd Schweim).

Various things, built models, supplies, etc,. will be offered to the local MASA section. Other stuff.... not sure yet.

I will be moving by Mid-July to an assisted living facility, more on that much later.

I hope to go to NARAM, and will select out various models to fly there.

Kits, I'll move with me and sell after settling in. If a trailer is used for the WSMC trip, I'll bring kits and built models (like R/C Rocket Gliders) to the WSMC in Austin, to sell.

I will say I'm still able to "get around". Just it takes a longer time to "warm the engine up", between waking up for an appointment and being ready to go out the door to get to my car.

So, an INCREDIBLE thing happened Sunday May 14th. Ed LaCroix posted this on the NAR Community forum, message # 11: https://community.nar.org/discussion/george-gassaway-has-pancreatic-cancer

"I want people reading this thread to know that Pat Fitzpatrick of the Museum of Flight in Seattle, made a once in a lifetime experience happen for George. As many of you know, George is a walking encyclopedia of information about the Space Shuttle program. George has built and flow the ONLY RC rocket-boosted complete Shuttle stack for FAI competition. Pat thru his connections with the Museum of Flight, was able to reach out to "Hoot" Gibson, NASA astronaut and Shuttle Commander on STS missions 41-B, 61-C, 27, 47, and 71 and arrange to talk to George via ZOOM call I am hosting as I type this. Thank you Pat for making this connection for George! "
X0bzZdn.png

Here is my reply, message #12:
"Much thanks for Pat Fitzpatrick for arranging this. He called me Friday asking about my availability for a Zoom call Sunday afternoon, but was mysterious as to who or what it involved. He said to check my e-mail for the zoom notice. When I opened it and saw a participant named "Hoot", I figured...naw....couldn't be. Then "Gibson" sunk in, and had quite a long "Happy Cry OMG" moment when the realization hit me.

It was quite an honor that Hoot was so gracious to speak with me (for 90 minutes!!!) . We talked shuttle of course, he had some nice stories. But also models. Mine, and his RC models. He has scratchbuilt a D558-2 Skyrocket, and I got to tell him about my X-1 model. He's worked for decades on an XFY-Pogo, which electric power finally made more practical to try but it's still in the tethered hover stage.

I told hm of my shuttle models, of course, and R/C Rocket Boosted Gliders. And as I was describing the size of my Lunar Module Quadcopter (Hoot was quite intrigued by that), Ed popped up an image of me holding it, so he could see the size and detail.

My 1999 contest shuttle, which won NARAM, is of STS-47, as that is the only one I saw launch. and was a Jay Apt flight. Well, Hoot Gibson was the commander of that mission. I will be flying that model on the US Team at the WSMC in Austin TX early July, then donate it Seattle Museum of Flight's Model Rocket museum (as well as my 1988 Sunguidance rocket)

Just a fantastic, fantastic thing that I'll never forget. It was recorded but needs a bit of editing. Sometime down the road it will be posted.

- George Gassaway

Photos of Hoot's XFY Pogo. The engineering he did for the contrarotating props is incredible.

tNI61aD.jpg

cRN3aDq.jpg

P.S. Photo of STS-47 launch (Sept 1992), with my 1/60 orbiter that flew on a minimalist piggyback booster.

Last edited:
Please don't take this the "wrong way" . . .

Did anyone preserve George's computer(s), physical files, and Scale Data ?

It would be a tremendous tragedy for that wealth of information to be "lost to the ages".

Is there a link to an obituary ? I have been unable to find anything.

R.I.P. , George !

Dave F.

Wow, Very very sad,

I thought we would have George with us for a little longer.
Much too fast.

I'm glad Pat set up the call with Hoot. Well done Pat.
If any of you know Pat, he is a good guy and a true friend to model rocketry.

Rest in Peace George, we lost an icon.

Back