George Gassaway’s cancer thoughts & prayers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a ritzy Chicago suburb and was from my 93 year old mother's mouth. I'll ask my sister next time I get up there how much the cremation "really" cost. She might have a different number. Mom sometimes gets stuff wrong. Nonetheless my brother was a bachelor, frugal, never married, never beget kids and has a bit of an estate. Lived at home and took care of the bills for mom and took care of the house besides a full time job in a family business. He was smart enough to use lawyers for a trust/will to minimize the tax liability. My mom doesn't need the money but I don't care about it either
. Whatever he says about me, even if it's nothing, I'm fine with it. We maintained cordial relations over the years and had a lot of fun together as kids. Nice memories. Kurt

Last edited:
The most recent update on the GoFundMe page for George:

June 16, 2023 by Edward LaCroix, Organizer
Unfortunately, on May 22, 2023, George suddenly passed away. Upon getting an email from Jon Stenberg informing me of his unexpected passing, I closed this GFM account to further donations. Since then, I have been able to connect with his immediate next of kin, his niece Pamela Nauss. Even though the original intent of this GFM was to help George with his medical expenses (and there may still be some outstanding) the funds will now be used to close his estate and pay legal fees. Pamela has designated me as the manager of these funds.

Can it be true that George Gassaway may simply "fade into the ether", without even a simple obituary ? How sad !

As far as I know, I don't think that George had any living relatives.

The lack of immediate family is most likely the reason for no obituary. It is kind of sad.

More and more of our church folks bypass newspapers altogether, OR, they print an obituary that says, "See the funeral home's website for the complete obituary." But even that costs something. Since COVID, an increasing number of folks are choosing not to do a funeral either. Some don't do anything, more are just doing a graveside committal only, or a brief funeral/committal hybrid in the cemetery chapel.

The thing I’ve noticed happening more and more is a “celebration of life” type memorial. Especially with cremations where you don’t have a pressing need to have a burial within a certain time frame, it seems like family and friends tend to wait a couple of weeks or even months, and then they have a more informal gathering to memorialize the person, tell stories, share pictures, and have a meal or drinks. Sometimes there’s a service, and sometimes it’s more casual. I’ve been to more of these kinds of ceremonies in the past 5-10 years than traditional funerals. In some ways, it’s kind of nice to have a bit of time before gathering to remember someone, because feelings aren’t as raw, and you have time to process their passing, think about what the person meant to you, remember what you liked most about them, and prepare something to share.

Since rocketry was such a big part of George’s life, and he was a big part of rocketry, and he didn’t have much close family, I wonder if a celebration of life at a rocketry event might make some sense. Maybe an hour or so to remember him at one of the annual national association events, even if it’s not official.

Since rocketry was such a big part of George’s life, and he was a big part of rocketry, and he didn’t have much close family, I wonder if a celebration of life at a rocketry event might make some sense. Maybe an hour or so to remember him at one of the annual national association events, even if it’s not official.
That is a GREAT idea !

NARAM . . . "Moment of Silence" during each day of flying, and at evening events . . . Display of George's models, in Scale Judging room, etc.

Perhaps, also create something online, where Rocketeers can sign-in, review images & things and, then , leave personal messages ?

Dave F.

June 16, 2023 by Edward LaCroix, Organizer
Unfortunately, on May 22, 2023, George suddenly passed away. Upon getting an email from Jon Stenberg informing me of his unexpected passing, I closed this GFM account to further donations. Since then, I have been able to connect with his immediate next of kin, his niece Pamela Nauss. Even though the original intent of this GFM was to help George with his medical expenses (and there may still be some outstanding) the funds will now be used to close his estate and pay legal fees. Pamela has designated me as the manager of these funds.
This may sound "crass" . . . Apologies, in advance.

Have any arrangements been made to "archive" the Rocketry-related content of George's computer(s), paper files, and any other material that was NOT on his website ?

I suspect that the data, visible on George's website, was "just the tip of the iceberg", so to speak . . . Yes, I know that his website was donated to the NAR.

It would be a tragedy for all of that information to be "lost to the ages" . . .

Thank you , in advance !

Dave F.

The lack of immediate family is most likely the reason for no obituary. It is kind of sad.
Agreed Thirsty,

If one doesn't have any family left, it's kinda sad. As I've mentioned, obits can cost a lot of $$$$$. A little cheaper for just a one liner death announcement above the obits but still costs. Some folks might not have the means for that and hence no obit. Kurt

Agreed Thirsty,

If one doesn't have any family left, it's kinda sad. As I've mentioned, obits can cost a lot of $$$$$. A little cheaper for just a one liner death announcement above the obits but still costs. Some folks might not have the means for that and hence no obit. Kurt
It could have been paid for, out of the Go Fund Me donations.

It could have been paid for, out of the Go Fund Me donations.
You know, he has a neice for some details perhaps; you've shown us some nice pictures, and he did so much for the NAR. I wonder if they would consider a memorial issue of the magazine, or at least a lengthy article. I'll bet his exploits could easily fill a typical NAR issue.

You know, he has a niece for some details perhaps; you've shown us some nice pictures, and he did so much for the NAR. I wonder if they would consider a memorial issue of the magazine, or at least a lengthy article. I'll bet his exploits could easily fill a typical NAR issue.
Easily . . . Provided that there is anyone to relate those exploits, unless George kept a diary.

George, never openly discussed his childhood, education, family life / relationships, or anything outside of Rocketry ( at least until the last few years . . . riding his bicycle, job at a store, being diagnosed with Diabetes, etc. ).

Did he have any other hobbies ? What kind of music / movies did he like ? What were his favorite foods ? What was his first car ? What are some of his favorite memories ? What are some of his regrets ? Etc, etc, etc. . . . Alas, all of that may go unanswered.

Perhaps, his closest friends can help to provide more info ( Ed LaCroix, Tom Beach, Jon Stenberg, past NAR / FAI Team Members, etc. ) . . . Without that, I'm afraid that "Rocket George" will be our only image of him, as captured in old magazines, articles, and online Rocketry forums . . . Sad !

Dave F.

Last edited:
I tried to (and hopefully didn't fail miserably) pass along a handful of Doug Frost's parts and plans to interested rocketeers. For those who were happy to get what they got, that is ideal, but there was a ton of disinterest and even negativity. Kind of a bummer to be involved.

While I am clear about some of the stuff that Doug did that made him a bit of a pariah, I am also aware of our interactions and some of the parts he was involved making for scale kits.

I think George may have been a polarizing person for some people as well, but I agree that any of the work he did should be cataloged. I do warn the person(s) involved in that process that you may be hit with PM's, emails etc., that you have nothing to do with and it is lame. I'll be glad to help with snippy replies, as I think I got about 70-80% of the possible complaints from trying to help with Doug's stuff and I bet a cut/copy/paste fits most circumstances.

I am absolutely bummed that I never met George and I think the idea of a NAR publication at least featuring his legacy (possibly Matt Steele as the content creator) is a great idea.

I hope his legacy is available for future rocketeers. I feel like we let Micromister down as a community, but he did a stellar job of documenting his builds, so the community can still get a bit of his wisdom. Having said that, he also deserved a dedicated article, magazine or some other memorial, IMO.

Sandy.

I tried to (and hopefully didn't fail miserably) pass along a handful of Doug Frost's parts and plans to interested rocketeers. For those who were happy to get what they got, that is ideal, but there was a ton of disinterest and even negativity. Kind of a bummer to be involved.

While I am clear about some of the stuff that Doug did that made him a bit of a pariah, I am also aware of our interactions and some of the parts he was involved making for scale kits.

I think George may have been a polarizing person for some people as well, but I agree that any of the work he did should be cataloged. I do warn the person(s) involved in that process that you may be hit with PM's, emails etc., that you have nothing to do with and it is lame. I'll be glad to help with snippy replies, as I think I got about 70-80% of the possible complaints from trying to help with Doug's stuff and I bet a cut/copy/paste fits most circumstances.

I am absolutely bummed that I never met George and I think the idea of a NAR publication at least featuring his legacy (possibly Matt Steele as the content creator) is a great idea.

I hope his legacy is available for future rocketeers. I feel like we let Micromister down as a community, but he did a stellar job of documenting his builds, so the community can still get a bit of his wisdom. Having said that, he also deserved a dedicated article, magazine or some other memorial, IMO.

Sandy.
Sandy,

As a living "polarizing figure" in Rocketry, let me say that I always try not to let "personalities" get in the way of, or prevent, me from making every effort to help others ( who deserve it ). There are those who act otherwise and it is pretty obvious who they are on the forum, without "naming names" or "calling anyone out". I'm no "saint", but I'm not the "devil", either, as those who truly know me understand !

Doug Frost . . . I first met Doug in 1977, at NARAM-19, in Kansas City. His Jayhawk was incredible and we talked for several hours about it. I am aware the Doug "rubbed some people the wrong way" and pushed his products ( "Rocket Golf" & Scale Data Packs ) and ideas aggressively, sometimes too aggressively. With that said, I never had any issues with him, at all, personally.

George Gassaway . . . I first met George in 1975, at NARAM-17, in Orlando. Unlike Doug, George was not "talkative", at all, perhaps because I was 4 or 5 years younger, when we met. Over the years, particularly after the Internet evolved, George and I became increasingly abrasive and confrontational towards each other. I assume responsibility for my actions toward, and interactions with George, something he never did. He "carried a grudge with me" for over 30 years, despite my repeated efforts to resolve things. Eventually, I gave up and the animosity grew, while the "battle" between us raged on and intensified.

On May 13, 2023, after I found out about George's cancer, I reached out on the forum and sent him this message, which I will never know if he read, or not and, 8 days later, he was gone.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/george-gassaway%E2%80%99s-cancer-thoughts-prayers.179868/#post-2432813

QUOTE :

"George,

You and I have been adversaries, for decades, but now is the time to put all of that aside. When a person sees their own mortality, they are changed forever. Regardless of your sentiments towards me, I forgive you, George, and I ask your forgiveness also, for all the things we have said about each other, and to each other, over the decades.

Frankly, I don't even remember what, specifically, started this "feud" between us. I wish it had never happened, but hindsight is always "20/20". By all rights, we could have been friends, and should have been friends. But now, after all this time, and with time running out, all that could have been is moot.

For years, I have suggested that you write an "in-depth" rocketry book, as a "legacy" . . . I'm sure that someone, here on the forum, is qualified to help you do exactly that . . . Please consider it !

I am praying for you, George, in all respects . . . God Speed, sir !

Dave F.

END QUOTE :

"Polarizing figures" are only such, because people tend to "take sides at the drop of a hat", especially in the 21st century, more so than during the 20th century. They form "packs" and coordinate attacks on their "perceived enemies", because they are fully "self-justified". I have never operated in that fashion, nor will I ever, as I saw it & see it for what it really is, something "divisive", under a "patina" of "perceived unity" and "virtue signalling" ( I really hate that term ) . . .

In closing, let me say that, much as we might like to, we can never go back in time . . . What is done cannot be undone, good or bad. We can only move forward, taking heed of the past, in order to avoid repeating the same mistakes, from our past.

I felt I needed to say these things and "get some things off my chest" . . .

R.I.P. , Doug & George !

Dave F.

Last edited:
Understood.

I am still trying to learn day to day for sure. I am sure my previous judgements in life are more tapered than they were at the time of judgement. The angle of the taper may have changed depending on the content.

Either way, I agree that George was a great foundation for our hobby and he will be missed by many.

Thanks for the huge contributions to our hobby George and God Speed on your journey.

Sandy.

Have any arrangements been made to "archive" the Rocketry-related content of George's computer(s), paper files, and any other material that was NOT on his website ?

I suspect that the data, visible on George's website, was "just the tip of the iceberg", so to speak . . . Yes, I know that his website was donated to the NAR.

It would be a tragedy for all of that information to be "lost to the ages" . . .

Thank you , in advance !

Dave F.
Yes, I asked Ed LaCroix about this very concern, and he said that George's website was archived and given to NAR for preservation.

I once asked Tom Beach about publishing a remembrance for one of the rocketeers in our club. He said that it is not the current policy of Sport Rocketry not to publish remembrances, as quote, "given the demographic, we could probably fill every issue cover to cover with remembrances. The NAR board is investigating other avenues for remembrances."

I got to know George late in the game, and we exchanged notes and emails RE the "Tractor Helix Rocket", and there is a TRF thread on this design that Geroge championed. I designed and 3d printed some jigs for him for the tractor helix rockets. Unfortunately, he didn't get around to trying them out.

Yes, I asked Ed LaCroix about this very concern, and he said that George's website was archived and given to NAR for preservation.
I was aware that the NAR would be maintaining George's website . . . an excellent thing.

My main concern are any "physical files" ( possibly located in filing cabinets, desk drawers, or other storage means ) and other documentnts that might not have been included on George's website. Things like notebooks, physical drawings, & rocketry-related files located on his computer(s), but not out in the Public Domain. I wonder if George also used "Cloud Storage" ?

If you get a chance, please mention that to Ed.

Thanks,

Dave F.

Last edited:
(Note that I am just reposting this. I am NOT Ed LaCroix.)

July 12, 2023 by Edward LaCroix, Organizer
"In the previous update I stated, “Even though the original intent of this GFM was to help George with his medical expenses (and there may still be some outstanding) the funds will now be used to close his estate and pay legal fees. Pamela Nauss [next of kin] has designated me as the manager of these funds.”
Today, that statement remains true.
When George passed away on May 22, 2023, he left behind an apartment in Golden Valley, MN full of his material life. I took it upon myself to fly to MN on June 17, 2023 in the hopes of clearing out his apartment and securing the most meaningful pieces of his rocketry life as well as passing on the most important pieces of his personal life to his next of kin- Pamela Nauss.
Long story substantially shortened, I was successful. On July 4, 2023, I returned the keys to his apartment to his landlord.
In the course of 16 non-stop days, and with the invaluable help of my brother-in-law and a life-long friend, I secured what I deemed were the most important, valuable, and historic items in a large climate controlled storage locker. I want people to know that what I chose to save focused on those things that were either time intensive for him to build (gliders and helicopters); whatever was radio-control (notably his drone based Lunar Module); shirts and jackets on which his name was embroidered (which I laundered and boxed); collectible rocket and plastic kits, and lastly all of his desktop and laptop computers as well as many external hard drives and thumb drives and SD cards.
The only airframes I saved that had three fins and a nose cone were those he used to launch his FAI S9 helicopters and unique S4 gliders. There were certain FAI airframes that I knew should be returned to John Stenberg and they were.
George belonged to the Minnesota NAR section- MASA #576. They received the bulk of his unbuilt rocket kits that he must have received as NARAM door-prizes along with a healthy dose of body tubing and a 3D printer.
Because neither the NAR or the USA FAI Team has it's own museum or "clubhouse", I kept none of George's many awards or medals- and that was not an easy decision.
I saved a lot of paper that was rocketry related but had no time to examine it piece by piece (I will be going through all of it at a later date.)
Is there scale data? Yes. But what I actually saw was exclusively Space Shuttle and Little Joe II.

What now?
Going forward, I will be working to distribute the items saved in the storage locker so it is empty by August 1, 2024. I do have a plan to accomplish this goal and that plan does not include the sale of any of George’s collectible kits online.
I will continue to post updates here from time to time."

Last edited:
Because neither the NAR or the USA FAI Team has it's own museum or "clubhouse", I kept none of George's many awards or medals- and that was not an easy decision.
Ed,
That is unfiortunate . . . Personally, I would have, at least, preserved them digitally, if the plan was not to retain the original items.
Did you retain his video files, especially his "Prang Films" ?
The medals would have made a nice "shadowbox display", either to display at NARAM's, or to donate to the Smithsonian Institute.
Will there be an obituary ? . . . Virtually nothing is known about George, outside of recorded rocketry-related activities.
Dave F.

I never got the chance to meet George in person . But I read about this rocketry guy called
George "Fat Cat" Gassaway and I told my self this has to be a cool person and on top of that
we both loved rocketry. We chatted several times over the net but never met in person.

George will be missed by all and I hope his rocketry related information will be saved in some form
of fashion. It was an privilege to have chatted with you George and you are missed but not forgotten.

Even though all of my family is gone now , (but a few ants and uncles) My wish is after I
pass to the other side I would like for someone to put a few of my cremains in a L powered
rocket and launch it out over the ocean near the outer banks as I to live in NC. Which will probably never happen .
Most of my rockets and Black Brant Information will probably just get tossed in the trash when I go.

George It was a pleasure to have known you . Pleasant journey home 👍

Bobby

Back