Found a group of people nearly as annoying as soccer dads....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a good lawyer away from a freedom of speech infringement....

Apparently, the Supremes disagree with you, since it has been tested and found to be constitutional, from what I understand. The key is that it isn't just simple speech, but rather speech "the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace" and "the gesture or display tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace".

You and Paul, by virtue of your experiences in the world, may not have a problem with someone like Paul and his daughter ran into. I, on the other hand, if it was in front of my granddaughter and the idiot refused to back off would have no problem asking a peace officer to enforce the law. Wanna cuss me out? I'm a big boy, and can take it. Do it in front of a kiddoh, and you've crossed the line.

That was five licks when I was in school and not five licks of a lolly pop!

Another oldie-but-goodie that's gone by the wayside. It's not illegal in Texas, but.. you'd be hard pressed to find a school district that does the corporal punishment bit anymore except maybe some of the smallest districts out in the countryside.

that sort of language probably falls under the catagory of, 'you don't yell "fire" in a crowded theater'.

Using language to provoke a fight or intimidate is different than cussing in casual conversation. If i feel the need to say "Look at that ****in nice car" in a public place i should be able to say so without fear of being ticketed for using a word even tho it may make some uneasy and disturb their blissful state of mind. I would respect someone asking me to cut out the language. I can without cussing by any definition intimidate another person, and that would be just as wrong as using one of the naughty words. To outlaw the use of a word or group of words because it may cause a breach of peace is unconstitutional. You cannot outlaw self expression whether it be through curse words or other because it may disturb the peace. This is a blatant attack on the first amendment. Not to mention the amount of confusion with todays slang usage of words, and feel free to pm me i can put together about 100 or more words in minutes that could be considered a cuss or perfectly acceptable.

Movie theatres are public places and go to any pg13 or r rated movie in these no cuss in public jurisdictions and you will hear them. Time to ban the movies. Tv uses cuss words now, shut it down.

My point being that threatening, and cussing are different. It is not right to use strong language in front of kids or strangers, and I dont do it even around my friends (usually), but it is not the laws job to punish people for such a silly thing.

I am not cuss in public kind of guy and I don't, by my personal morals, think it's right but it is their right to express themselves and speak freely. I took an oath to defend the constitution and I believe I am obligated till the end of my days to live by it, and this law attacks the usa's most important legal document. Until peace is broken and a fight happens there is no law broke imo, this "law" says that just by uttering a "cus" word peace "may breach", guess that if I say im going to run 10 miles I enter a binding contract to run 10 miles, or if i let a cuss slip out in a conversation or an arugement I am required to breach the peace and start an all out riot. This is wrong, who hasn't gotten in a tizz over something and over reacted only to come to your senses in mere seconds? Usually an apology and go separate ways but now you get a court date.

I am sure a good free speech groups lawyers could tear this law apart, it is just a matter of ticketing the wrong person who has the will to follow through and not let it die til it is set right.

On that note i bow out of this little debate to prevent further thread jacking lol. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk more about it.

The free speech clause was put in the Constitution to protect political free speech. Obviously it has been used to protect all kinds of speech over the years.

I don't see why the Constitution should be used to give someone the right to cuss out a person in front of their small child. I don't see any way that society benefits from allowing this. I do think that those disgusting whackos from that small church who protest against gays at military funerals have a right to do so. But I think laws that keep them away from the actual funeral are justifed too. There has to be a limit to what people can do in public.

Back