First scratch built two stage, Stage Fright

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wait until October. It seems I always see large lawn and leaf bags printed with Jack O'Lantern faces.

Oh yeah, that's a good idea. I wonder if they're as thick as regular garbage bags though.

What is it with me and paint? This is gloss white over white primer. Same Rustoleum 2x primer and paint I always use. I have no idea what caused this.

131_white.jpg

132_white.jpg

134_white.jpg

135_white.jpg

How much time between primer and paint? Looks like out-gassing to me.

It looks like to me that the clear coat did not make a nice layer, but clumping up... I don't use clear coats so I don't know why... :confused:

[POW]Eagle159;229816 said:
It looks like to me that the clear coat did not make a nice layer, but clumping up... I don't use clear coats so I don't know why... :confused:

It's not a clear coat, it's gloss white.

That looks like "Orange Peel" ... That is when the top coat dries before it finishes leveling out. Usually caused by either spraying when it is too dry or too hot, and can also be caused by holding the can too far from the surface being coated.

Simplest way to repair, if that is a clearcoat, is to re-apply another coat of clear, this time a little heavier. Wet sand lightly with 300 through 600 grit sandpaper and you'll be fine.

G.D.

That looks like "Orange Peel" ... That is when the top coat dries before it finishes leveling out. Usually caused by either spraying when it is too dry or too hot, and can also be caused by holding the can too far from the surface being coated.

Simplest way to repair, if that is a clearcoat, is to re-apply another coat of clear, this time a little heavier. Wet sand lightly with 300 through 600 grit sandpaper and you'll be fine.

G.D.

It's gloss white, no clear coat. The temperature was in the 70's. I've used this paint in ambient temperatures from the 60's to the 100's. Never had this problem before. I'll sand it all smooth and try again today.

What is it with me and paint? This is gloss white over white primer. Same Rustoleum 2x primer and paint I always use. I have no idea what caused this.

You need to make peace with the paint demons, they seem to enjoy clowning around with you.

41mmCwbM5dL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

I had a look at the pictures and it almost looks like something got on the primer before you painted. Was anybody spraying or using something around your rocket without your knowledge, or even within 5 metres?

I've had paint do this after somebody was using Armour-all in the same room. Silicone spray can do this as well, even from a distance. It left some pinholes like the one's in the first picture.

If you were doing this outdoors (which is fine) were any of your neighbours using something?

Last edited:
I've never sprayed with anything other than a rattle can. Maybe some auto body guys can chime in but there is more going on than just dimpling. Bottom line is your not within recoat times.

I'm like you, and rush ALOT of paint jobs. Most times I get lucky but ones and a while I get a "Doh!!! I know better than that".

When I put a rocket together that I want to look really good, I wait atleast 72 hours from primer to paint, spray all multiple coats within an hour, allow each color to dry 72 hours before I even think about throwing tape down for a different color.

It is a huge exercise in patience for me but it pays off.

I'm ready to scream. I sanded it and reshot it, and it looked a lot better. But then it developed some bubbles. And a stupid bug landed on it. I think I'll color my next rocket with permanent markers.

137_white.jpg

138_bubbles.jpg

136_bug.jpg

136_bug_cls.jpg

I've never sprayed with anything other than a rattle can. Maybe some auto body guys can chime in but there is more going on than just dimpling. Bottom line is your not within recoat times.

I'm like you, and rush ALOT of paint jobs. Most times I get lucky but ones and a while I get a "Doh!!! I know better than that".

When I put a rocket together that I want to look really good, I wait atleast 72 hours from primer to paint, spray all multiple coats within an hour, allow each color to dry 72 hours before I even think about throwing tape down for a different color.

It is a huge exercise in patience for me but it pays off.

You know, I usually shoot the topcoat as soon as the primer dries. This time I waited 18 hours. That could have been the problem.

I don't think you all fully realize exactly how much I hate paint.

148_peel.jpg

149_peel.jpg

150_peel.jpg

151_peel.jpg

The paint problems notwithstanding, I'm not quite sure I like the paint scheme. The wide white stripe is for the decals. I may just start all over. Whatever I decide, I need to be patient and wait two or three days between coats. I get so frustrated and disheartened when I have paint problems like this. What a disaster.

152_paint.jpg

153_paint.jpg

154_paint.jpg

155_paint.jpg

You need help, brotha. Maybe a special room to paint in with a time lock door. It will sense every time you lay down primer or a different color and automatically lock you out for 3-4 days. You're like an addict, man. Is there such a thing as IPA (Impatient Painters Anonymous)?

You need help, brotha. Maybe a special room to paint in with a time lock door. It will sense every time you lay down primer or a different color and automatically lock you out for 3-4 days. You're like an addict, man. Is there such a thing as IPA (Impatient Painters Anonymous)?

I love this forum. As disgusted as I am with myself, you still managed to make me laugh. LOL

Thank You!!! Thank You very much.

He thinks I'm joking...(que laugh cards) Ba da Ba Chrash!!! Hahahaha

You're beautiful.

But seriously, Folks....I'll be here all week. Try the veal and don't forget to tip your waitress.

Last edited:
You need to make peace with the paint demons, they seem to enjoy clowning around with you.

Nice try. Almost got away with it!

The paint demons are a mischevious bunch and they have latched themselves onto you. Your gonna have to fake them out.

Since paint demons have A.D.D., they get bored easily. After applying a coat of paint wait three full days before doing anything else that involves more painting of the rocket. The bored paint demons won't wait around three full days, they'll find someone else to heap misery on.

After three full days have passed and the paint demons are bedeviling someone else, you can lay down another coat of paint on the rocket and have it drying before they even know what's going on!

Back