First Altimeter Purchase?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpoceta

Reaction score
I know there has been a few threads around lately that have discussed purchase of a first altimeter, but I have narrowed it down to two.

I have designed my fist dual deployment rocket and GLR said that they shipped the parts I ordered today. Now all that is is left is the altimeter. I can't decide between the Perfectflite MAWD or the Perfectflite HiAlt 45k dual event. Thoughts on these two? The MAWD looks a bit nicer but I am on a very limited budget.

Thanks

The only real difference between the two is the MAWD has a recording feature and the HiAlt45K outputs slightly more current so it can fire more ejection canisters. Which do you like more? Do you have access to low current ematches? If so, you don't need the higher current available in the HiAlt45K Do you want to be able to save an analyze your flights later? If so, you'd need a recording alt like the MAWD.

Personally, I went with the MAWD. I liked the recording feature and I have access to low current ematches.

-Aaron

From what I can tell so far the MAWD is a very fine bit of kit; the comments of others seem to confirm this.
However, if you're buying it for the data logging capabilities, they are very rudimentary.
At best.

dpoceta,

Every time I see your 'handle' it makes me wonder: are you a fan of a particular old Danny Kaye movie?

Danny, I would go with the MAWD. Its worth the recording. I was debating this when I got it. I thought, If I can just spend the $95 now when I want to go redundant I can just spend $80 if I don't want/need another recording on the Hi Alt45. That was just my thought........

Ben

P.S. I have both though and they are very fine units.

The MAWD is a wonderful unit. Definitely would be my choice between the two, although the RRC2 mini also looks like a great first unit for a good price.

I don't have either of the altimeters you listed, but I do have the Perfectflite Alt15k. Analyzing your flight data is a lot of fun so I would go for an altimeter that records data as well as deploying your recovery devices.

We (MSU Space Cowboys Rocket Team) was faced with a similar decision because the NASA USLI competition requires we have altimeter. We decided on the MAWD. We have access to ematches though

So I decided to go with the HiAlt 45 because of what heada said about low current ematches. I am not sure if I have access to those. However, a friend of mine uses the HiAlt and I am 100% sure I have access to whatever I need to use it.

My question: What does it come with and what do I need to buy for it? Does it come with a battery mount and the necessary wires and such to connect the altimeter to the battery?

Thanks

You'll need some kind of battery holder. Most people use 9v batteries and holders for such batteries are available at most electronics stores (like Radio Shack) as well as at some Rocketry Vendors. One that I have used and like is here:
https://www.newtons3rdrocketry.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=38

You'll also need wires and an on/off switch. 24gauge stranded wire will work for all your wiring needs and any DPDT switch will work for on/off functions. (both available at electronics stores like Radio Shack)

-Aaron

So I decided to go with the HiAlt 45 because of what heada said about low current ematches. I am not sure if I have access to those. However, a friend of mine uses the HiAlt and I am 100% sure I have access to whatever I need to use it.

My question: What does it come with and what do I need to buy for it? Does it come with a battery mount and the necessary wires and such to connect the altimeter to the battery?

Thanks

If you've already purchased, then never mind, but a couple of comments. If your friend is using standard 9V batteries with his HiAlt 45, then the MAWD would most likely work as well.

I have both units and they are both great. I got the HiAlt because I needed more altitude capability than the MAWD. However, I have always found the recording capability of the MAWD, minimal as it is, to be very valuable. I can calculate speed and acceleration from the altitude data during the boost and descent rates on drogue and main as well. I've learned a lot over time with these data.

If you don't really need the higher current or altitude capability, the extra cost for the MAWD is well worth while.

Back