Estes Flip Flyer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I do not remember what I did wrong. However I am guessing that I misaligned something and the glue dried faster than I expected so I could not make adjustments.

Recently, I have buying all of my Estes stuff from AC Supply. They offer 40% off (or more) on all Estes products and they have free shipping on orders over $100. Add to that they ship quickly and they have very responsive customer service. I see no reason not to give them my future business.

Locally, I buy from Hub Hobby in Richfield, MN. They have a great selection of Estes products in stock and they occasionally have some good deals. The Hobby Lobby closest to me does not have a good selection of Estes products.

If you should remember how or why you screwed up the first flip flyer assembly, I would appreciate the heads up so I don't repeat the mistake.
I will be looking for one on the cheap this weekend, since it is my birthday, and I would like to get an easy build in before the launch season begins.
Of course, that assumes that we WILL have a field to fly in this year (currently in doubt)...

Do they sell the flip flyer at Hobby Lobby? I can't find one very cheap on ebay...they all come in at the same price level... $15.19

Last edited:
We've got 3 of these. 2 we bought and one Estes sent us because of the repeated popping off of the pins that hold the blades to the fins. They're fun to fly, and you can pretty reliably get them to land Space-X style if you use a B6-2, which will eject before apogee. The only mod we do is to replace the plastic pins with small rivets that we got from Discount Rocketry. Those never break.
Remember to hook up the rubber bands before putting on the nosecone!
I've make an OpenRocket file that pretty accurately simulates the flight, but not the recovery. Attached.

Attachments

• FlipFlyer.ork
    174.9 KB · Views: 24
I flown mine two or three times, and it fails to flip. So I decided to combine the sections together but have not test flown it yet. It's nice to see other people have done this also, so in theory it should work :)

I flown mine two or three times, and it fails to flip. So I decided to combine the sections together but have not test flown it yet. It's nice to see other people have done this also, so in theory it should work :)
It works

Has anybody needed to replace the blade hinge pins on a flip flyer? Ours got caught in a tree on Sunday and one of the pins popped out while getting it unstuck. Thankfully the kit included one extra pin set, but it would be nice to have a plan in place. Maybe a nylon nut and bolt?

Has anybody needed to replace the blade hinge pins on a flip flyer? Ours got caught in a tree on Sunday and one of the pins popped out while getting it unstuck. Thankfully the kit included one extra pin set, but it would be nice to have a plan in place. Maybe a nylon nut and bolt?
I jury rigged one with a piece of dowel, then another popped off. I too would like a good reliable replacement.

Somewhat off topic...

I really like your video.

But what did you use for the video, equipment, software...?

Thanks?

Thanks. That was 5 years ago.... I used some version of Cyberlink PowerDirector.

I jury rigged one with a piece of dowel, then another popped off. I too would like a good reliable replacement.
I'm trying nylon fasteners next, hopefully tomorrow.
IMG_20200229_144655.jpg

The threading seems to give it plenty of lateral friction so it won't fall out. I initially tried putting a nut on it but it is a little too wide and causes the assembly to get a little off kilter and drag. Without the nut, the arms still flip down easily. I believe a two pack was $0.58 at Lowe's.
IMG_20200229_145038.jpg

I'm trying nylon fasteners next, hopefully tomorrow.
View attachment 407851

The threading seems to give it plenty of lateral friction so it won't fall out. I initially tried putting a nut on it but it is a little too wide and causes the assembly to get a little off kilter and drag. Without the nut, the arms still flip down easily. I believe a two pack was $0.58 at Lowe's.
View attachment 407852
thanks, very helpful. I will pick some up!

It flew a couple of times yesterday. No hint at all of the screw loosening. I'll keep a few spares in the box for the two remaining stock pins.

Back